What limits down travel ?

R32GT-R

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 King Ranch Ultimate 6.7 Tremor - Antimatter/Stone
Current Ride #2
1998 Nissan Patrol/Safari TD42t - i6 IDI, 1989 Nissan R32 GT-R
which components in the front and rear suspension limit down travel. i think with a factory spec tremor if you could de-limit the down travel.. ie. always keep wheels on the ground. That would be great

The thing that limits the down travel would have to be the shocks. There's nothing else there.

so if you had longer travel shocks, i suppose the next thing to fall out is the coil ? with flip shackle a leaf pack and longer shocks.. that would probably help too ?

i wonder if Deaver or Carli can make a flexy coil that can support weight

i wonder if Deaver or Carli can make a flexy coil that can support weight
Carli does have straps already available for this purpose. Essentially just seat belt material lol.

CS-LSK-2_1080x.jpg

those would just limit down travel.

yep i suppose it does. i was more thinking about how to improve downtravel by improving on the factory limitations.

you need to lengthen the spring and the shock and then drop the radius arms.
That's what carli does to get more down travel.

Without a radius arm drop it will just bottom out form the tension of the drag link and the radius arm. Its a complicated setup to keep that front axle straight and the main stabilizer is that radius arm so thats the first thing to be addressed. Once they do that the shim allthe springs and shocks so that they are in the sweet spots for travel and the adjustable track bar gets the front side of the axle alignment right.

Don't forget about sway bars... they definitely limit down travel as well. Disconnecting sway bars is what gives the Power Wagon and Wrangler Rubicons some extra slinkiness with their suspension. If we could disconnect sway bars offroad like the RAM then that would help along with having longer shock tubes so you don't bottom them out. Also brake lines.... too much droop and you break the stock ones off.... no bueno.

Don't forget about sway bars... they definitely limit down travel as well. Disconnecting sway bars is what gives the Power Wagon and Wrangler Rubicons some extra slinkiness with their suspension. If we could disconnect sway bars offroad like the RAM then that would help along with having longer shock tubes so you don't bottom them out. Also brake lines.... too much droop and you break the stock ones off.... no bueno.
Sway bars couple the wheels together more than they support any part of the suspension. You would get more individual articulation side to side but without addressing the radius arm it won't be much. The down travel is important for a better ride. The front end drops into pot holes instead of riding the travel down.

Back