What kind of lube does Godzilla prefer?

Yukon Bush Tremor

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor
I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on best oil for the 7.3L?

I’ve always been the type who trades in every few years, so longevity was never a concern and as such I always used the ford recommended semi-synthetic.

Now thinking I wanna keep this truck for the long term upwards of 10 years, and was curious of your knowledgeable opinions.

Is it worth is to go full synthetic? Or will the semi-synthetic that Ford recommends perform well enough?

What are the themes with Godzilla using?

I’m going semi for the first change. Then full at 5 or 6 k miles.
Change at 2k miles. Then again at 6k then every 10k miles on full synthetic.

In the Yukon you have different temps/factors that NorCal will never see.

I did my first oil change at 3k miles, had the dealer do it. So whatever Ford uses is what I have.

Ford does a blend...might do that at first then go full synthetic after. Not too worried about the frequency. Probably follow Ford's recommendation. Part of the reason I purchased the 7.3 push rod engine, durability and reliability for the long haul.

Thanks for the thoughts. I typically just go with the Ford recommended as well. Was wondering if someone was going to have strong opinions towards synthetic. The thread is young...

My only experience so far with synthetic is in my 2012 6.2L Raptor. Has 156k miles and purring like a kitten. Will be running full synthetic in this beast too.

Edit... I have run synthetic in other non-Ford vehicles for years with no issues.

C

I would go with what the manual says. Benefits of syn to me are negligible unless you live in an extremely cold climate and want easier starts or are looking to go beyond the mfgr. suggested OCI’s. Regular old dino oil has shown to be just as effective out to and beyond recommended intervals in literally thousands of documented OA’s.

Mobil 1 all around, I dropped the factory oil and diff at 1000 miles and do an oil change at 7500 with the Ford Racing oil filter. Been running Mobil 1 for 35 years with several high mileage vehicles. My 2012 Raptor had 200k when I traded it in with no problems (wish I kept it instead of buying a 2018), I always did 7500 miles and the same Ford Racing filter FL820.

I changed oil at 2k, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Ordered two 5-quart bottle on Amazon. It took just shy of 8 quarts. Haven't cut the filter open yet. I intend to have this truck for 10+ years. Will send the next oil change in for analysis, because I'm a nerd like that.

Anyone else annoyed with the dipstick? It is about 4ft long and flimsy, even has a riveted connection in the middle. It also hangs on something when it is about a foot from going all the way in, probably the rivet connection. I hope they upgrade this thing so I can replace it or get an aftermarket one, this one seems like an afterthought.

Anyone else annoyed with the dipstick? It is about 4ft long and flimsy, even has a riveted connection in the middle. It also hangs on something when it is about a foot from going all the way in, probably the rivet connection. I hope they upgrade this thing so I can replace it or get an aftermarket one, this one seems like an afterthought.
Yep it’s janky

sroemmich. Do you have the 6.7 or is this dipstick universal across engines?

Mobil 1 First oil change at 2600 miles next will be at 5000. Going to do 5000 mile oil changes and tire rotations. Oil change is easy but yes the dipstick could be improved.

While I don't have a Tremor yet...Just reading and prepping the home to allow it to fit :p

I do know about Oil (been in Oil and Gas for 20+ years) Full disclosure I do not work for Exxon Mobil.

I also vote for Mobil One. Even when I spent most of my career at a competitor, I still secretly used Mobil 1. I worked in the research lab where they used to do engine testing and studied the long-term effects with all the competitor's brands of oil. With Enginers from 2 Liter turbos to 6.7 Liter diesel. Both in the Lab and having staff take-home test vehicles for road testing.

In general, all the majors were within ~2% points in performance with their Synthetic Oils. Except for Castrol. It had some gumming it was lower. Mobil one was the most consistent and either led or was ~0.5% from the leader. Redline and Amsoil were marginally better...but not for 2x-3x the cost.

With Mobil One, I knew I could get it at Wally-World, and was happy with it. Plus their Synthetic filters are very good. Ford also makes excellent filters.

If you live in Extreme climates, i.e. TEXAS Gulf coast with high humidity and high heat or -20F Weather in the winters...Please change the oil no later than 5K or every 9 months. With all the crappy ethanol they put in the fuel, this interval avoids the varnish build-up. You have a $70K plus really nice truck. Take care of it.

Planning on changing my oil at 1000 miles with a synthetic blend, probably pennzoil. Run that to probably 4k and then switch over to amsoil signature series. Every 10k after that or annually, whatever happens first.

I had my dealer do my 1st oil change at 1k, and again at 4K using my Ford Pass points. My next Oil Change will be at 7k and I’ll be switching to Rotella Full Synthetic Gasoline specific Motor Oil.
I was using Full Syn motor Oil in my 7.3 Powerstroke for most of its life with a bypass filter and never had any issues and hardly burned any oil. I used Rotella 5w40 in that Truck for probably 10+ years.
We use Rotella Conventional at my job on large industrial stationary Generators, and we change the oil based solely on lab results. We have gone as long as 5 years without changing the oil, and I know that synthetic is even better because it is used exclusively in turbine applications. That is why I’ll pay a little extra and always use Full synthetic in my vehicles, as I tend to keep them a long time. I had that Powerstroke for 18 years.
So, I’ll change the oil again at 10k miles, then very 5k after that but I’ll swap out the filter every 2.5k miles Between oil changes because they are cheap insurance and they do clog up.

As long as you maintain good change intervals and use the proper weight oil with the Ford approved certificates you will be fine. My recommendation is to always use the same brand. I have run the Ford blend in my V-8 Raptor since it was new. Wally world sells it and has Motorcraft filters for cheap. Some times there is an online coupon for a dealer oil change for $19.95 but I hate how then never wipe the drips from the pan and crank the filters on so tight there are impossible to remove.

Back