What does police mode do?

@BroncoHooves nailed the description. As for the reasoning behind it and why it's called police mode: it means a police officer can arrive on scene, put their car in park, leave the engine running, and hop out with the key in their pocket without worry of someone hopping in and driving away.

I love it.

@BroncoHooves nailed the description. As for the reasoning behind it and why it's called police mode: it means a police officer can arrive on scene, put their car in park, leave the engine running, and hop out with the key in their pocket without worry of someone hopping in and driving away.

I love it.

Any ideas why this wouldn't be enabled by default? It seems like it prevents someone from driving away from their keys and the engine shutting down a few blocks away?

Any ideas why this wouldn't be enabled by default? It seems like it prevents someone from driving away from their keys and the engine shutting down a few blocks away?
No idea why it wasn't enabled by default before, but like BroncoHooves it was enabled by default with my 22MY truck. Don't know when they started enabling it by default, but seems like they do now.

Have to admit, I was completely misinformed on what police mode was. What I had read on other forums had me thinking it meant the interior lights didn't come on when you opened the door or something.

The concept of not being able to change gears makes a lot of sense and is very interesting. I drive off with my wife's car when she takes the key in a store or something all the time and think nothing of it.

Does police mode over ride the default 30 minute automatic engine shutdown?

I take my 4 legged best friend with me almost daily to the job sites in the summer and I have to uncheck the box in the advance settings every crank cycle.

When I did my forscan there was two police mode settings: police secure idle (shift locked without fob), and police dark mode (disable flashes on lock, interior lights, etc.--basically no reactivity from the lights)

This is the first time I’ve heard of this setting. Is this a Forscan only setting or can everyone see and change it? I have a 22 if that makes any difference.

Oh ok. I thought there were other features like, no intwrior/exterior lights on when in park and other things like that.
There's another mode in the computer for exactly this but the name is escaping me. It has different options for what you want blacked out etc.

Edit: It's called Dark Mode.

This is the first time I’ve heard of this setting. Is this a Forscan only setting or can everyone see and change it? I have a 22 if that makes any difference.
As noted above, newer trucks (based on replies to this thread 21MY and 22MY are confirmed) it’s enabled by default. Nothing you need to do.

If it’s not enabled on your truck, then it’s a change you need to make in ForScan.

Back