What does partial VIN mean?

Sccritterkiller

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'90 YJ
I was given 9 digits for my VIN...what does that mean?

Seriously considering canceling my order and just eating the deposit. The dealership I am working with is incompetent at best...Apparently my sales rep is no longer with the dealership...I haven't heard a thing out of them since I placed my order on 2-19, it's been a month. So I thought I would call for an update...got 9 digits of my VIN and nobody could tell me who would be taking over my order...I see a shit show in my future...Now I remember why I haven't bought a new vehicle in 11 yrs.

Sounds like you got the short VIN, which can be translated into the long VIN internally.

You might be able to get your deposit back if you explain your reasoning to the sales manager or GM. It sounds like this dealership is having internal issues, so you might be better served going elsewhere. If you do, try to work directly with the Fleet Manager, as they are less likely to leave and you avoid all of the salesman BS.

Get with ice-capades on blue oval forums, A Ford dealer manager for over 30 years. He can get you your vin if you have your order number

You might be able to get your deposit back if you explain your reasoning to the sales manager or GM. It sounds like this dealership is having internal issues, so you might be better served going elsewhere. If you do, try to work directly with the Fleet Manager, as they are less likely to leave and you avoid all of the salesman BS.
I should have walked way when they started pulling codes out of a 3 ring binder for a truck order in 2021.....part of me wants to let it ride and see what exactly shows up and when...

At least Ford is consistent. Getting my vehicles serviced has always been a goat rodeo seems they have carried that over to vehicle ordering.

Funny thing is I had some questions and my rep brought the GM in to give me timelines speech on order and assured my his best rep would be there to answer any of my questions no problems....LOL

Last edited:
I should have walked way when they started pulling codes out of a 3 ring binder for a truck order in 2021.....part of me wants to let it ride and see what exactly shows up and when...

At least Ford is consistent. Getting my vehicles serviced has always been a goat rodeo seems they have carried that over to vehicle ordering.

Funny thing is I had some questions and my rep brought the GM in to give me timelines speech on order and assured my his best rep would be there to answer any of my questions no problems....LOL
Just added "goat rodeo" to my vocabulary :LOL:

Get with ice-capades on blue oval forums, A Ford dealer manager for over 30 years. He can get you your vin if you have your order number
Baddest...tell me more...I ordered on 2/22 and my dealer says I wont have a VIN until much closer to production... but my vehicle does have a production date which im told here means it must have a VIN. Would love to contact this gentleman and give him my order number and ask him if he can locate my VIN.

How do I get in touch with him and should I let him know you sent me?

Got a call from dealership today from the GM..he sorta smoothed things over...gave me my full VIN and it appears it's coming a month earlier than initial projection...order looks correct so I guess just gonna have to wait end of May and see what happens when it gets here.

Got a call from dealership today from the GM..he sorta smoothed things over...gave me my full VIN and it appears it's coming a month earlier than initial projection...order looks correct so I guess just gonna have to wait end of May and see what happens when it gets here.
A MONTH EARLY!?!? That is awesome news my man!

Latest Discussions

Back