What does an extra $1000 get me for F250 to F350 Tremor?

Tx-Tremor6.7

Tremor Aficionado
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor 6.7L Lariat Ultimate / Lariat Black
Current Ride #2
2023 Corvette C8 Stingray R
I know the F250 vs F350 Tremor topic has been hashed over many times. If they have the same rear suspension and rear axle, why is Ford charging $1000 more for an identically optioned F350 Tremor over an F250 Tremor?

F250 Tremor: $73, 575 (Diesel, Lariat Sport, Lariat Ultimate, High Cap Trailer Tow w/ Cameras, etc)
F350 Tremor: $74, 509

Is Ford really charging me $1000 for a Yellow Sticker on my door?

It was not that much when I made my purchase. I thought was in the $350 range on the invoice pricing.

If you don't need the heavy towing or load range just get the F250. You can always add the sumo springs. The tires and wheels are the same.

I paid $570 for F350 > F250.
I agree that both versions are basically the same. I've heard there might be an additional brace w/F350.. I'm not sure, as I haven't personally compared the two trucks.
I tow heavy trailers regularly, so IF the difference is only the weight rating tags, it was worth it for me.

I paid $570 for F350 > F250.
I agree that both versions are basically the same. I've heard there might be an additional brace w/F350.. I'm not sure, as I haven't personally compared the two trucks.
I tow heavy trailers regularly, so IF the difference is only the weight rating tags, it was worth it for me.
same feeling here, I heard about a brace????? can't prove it , The spring packs look similar but are they?????? Also a different in the pinion going into the axle??? You would think there would be something significant.

mine was $1000 when built on the website but when built in store the F250 was more then what the website was saying and was only $250 and F350 had more discounts then F250 so yea i went with F350 and just to say i have a F350 one ton truck even if there is no difference between F250 and F350 on a tremor ....

It was $1185 for me to step up to the 350...so I just got the 250. I have no use for greater towing capacity as this truck will likely only tow my enclosed 23' snowmobile trailer...which is under 4000lbs. fully loaded. I know people will also say that resale is a factor, but I'm not buying for the next guy as I plan to keep this truck a while (and spent the extra money on other options that I wanted/will use).

Yes, since you have to order the 250 with the high capacity trailer tow package, they are identical except for badges and the sticker on the door allowing you to legally have a GVWR of 11,500 lbs instead of only 10,800 lbs (for diesel). If you don’t live in a state that adds crazy rules for GVWR of 11,500 lbs or more (California for sure, maybe others) then just get the 350. Better to be legal if an issue arises. Also, that cost difference would most likely be recouped on resale, should you choose to sell before it falls apart or is totaled.

As a side note, I wonder if the front spring rates for gas 250 vs 350 are the same? I imagine that, for the diesel, you are close to or at the highest front spring rate for both 250 and 350 but I could see there being room for different 250 and 350 rates for gas trucks.

same feeling here, I heard about a brace????? can't prove it , The spring packs look similar but are they?????? Also a different in the pinion going into the axle??? You would think there would be something significant.
I’m not trying to start an argument but why does anything need to be different? It’s the dearest ambition of most people in the manufacturing plant to make 100% Oxford White, 2WD, F250, XL, regular cab, gas trucks, all day, every day. Less complexity = fewer mistakes and less labor. Higher part volume = lower piece price. If they can reduce the number of buildable combinations by using 350 underpinnings on a 250, they’ll do it in a heartbeat.

Is this a “Do you need it?” or “Do you want it?” question? Because however minimal the differences between the two might be, if it’s a “want” thing, then there’s only one way to go.
I was in the same shoes (and a bit worse 2020 vs 2021 model year stuff ...), I ended up deciding to pick up my 2020 F250 over a 2021 F350. It was the mix of reasons that made me go this route: Not needed added towing capacity, no differences between model years, the feeling of having done the “mature” choice instead of just throwing more money/time at it for mostly a badge difference. Others on here went in a different direction on the same question. So really it’s all super subjective. @Iron Man gave me a couple great pointers (although he wanted me to go with a ‘21 F350, his pointers made me hone in on the ‘20 F250)...

It was not that much when I made my purchase. I thought was in the $350 range on the invoice pricing.

If you don't need the heavy towing or load range just get the F250. You can always add the sumo springs. The tires and wheels are the same.

I priced several Super Duty trucks on their X-Plan website this morning, so my numbers are current and just slightly higher than invoice. The FX4 (non-Tremor) version of the same build has a $400 difference between the F250 and F350.

If there is no functional difference between the two for towing, why does Ford charge an extra $1K for the F350 Tremor? I looked at the leaf spring packs and rear axle housings today for several standard F250 and F350s at the dealer by my house. There is a big difference between the two on standard Super Duty's. There was less leafs and a smaller differential housing on the F250s, except if it had the High Capacity Towing package. With the higher towing package, the F250s and F350s SRW configurations were identical with the same part numbers and markings on each.

My point is the Tremor has the same towing hardware underneath the bed, so there is not a question of whether I need the higher towing capacity. I get the same towing capacity whether I buy the F250 or the F350. (Sumo or no sumo) The real question is do I need the higher number on my yellow sticker in the door jamb and is the sticker really worth $1000?

Is this a “Do you need it?” or “Do you want it?” question? Because however minimal the differences between the two might be, if it’s a “want” thing, then there’s only one way to go.
I was in the same shoes (and a bit worse 2020 vs 2021 model year stuff ...), I ended up deciding to pick up my 2020 F250 over a 2021 F350. It was the mix of reasons that made me go this route: Not needed added towing capacity, no differences between model years, the feeling of having done the “mature” choice instead of just throwing more money/time at it for mostly a badge difference. Others on here went in a different direction on the same question. So really it’s all super subjective. @Iron Man gave me a couple great pointers (although he wanted me to go with a ‘21 F350, his pointers made me hone in on the ‘20 F250)...

I do not need the higher payload number on my door jamb because the camper I have now can be towed with my F150 Raptor. However, I do not know if we will buy a bigger camper in the future that might somehow land in between the mythical number on the F250 vs the real payload number on the F350.

On your other point, if I could find a 2020 F250 Tremor with all of the features I wanted and none of the "extras", I would definitely buy it. Since I have not found one yet, my mature choice is to order a 2021 and get exactly what I want. I can wait until next year for delivery, as long as I get to use my $2500 CPO, then I do not care how long I wait.

I am asking all of these questions because I plan to place my order this week.

Ate
I do not need the higher payload number on my door jamb because the camper I have now can be towed with my F150 Raptor. However, I do not know if we will buy a bigger camper in the future that might somehow land in between the mythical number on the F250 vs the real payload number on the F350.

On your other point, if I could find a 2020 F250 Tremor with all of the features I wanted and none of the "extras", I would definitely buy it. Since I have not found one yet, my mature choice is to order a 2021 and get exactly what I want. I can wait until next year for delivery, as long as I get to use my $2500 CPO, then I do not care how long I wait.

I am asking all of these questions because I plan to place my order this week.
Aren’t the CPOs tied to a timeframe?
Other than that, what’re you looking for? The Lariat Ultimate (speak: Platinum is all of the useless extras)? Cars.com shows me there’s 72 Lariat Tremors and 40 XLT Tremors available for delivery in the US right now. 180 overall and most of them diesels (120+) and a few of the 7.3 Godzilla’s... lots of choice out there these days...

I priced several Super Duty trucks on their X-Plan website this morning, so my numbers are current and just slightly higher than invoice. The FX4 (non-Tremor) version of the same build has a $400 difference between the F250 and F350.

If there is no functional difference between the two for towing, why does Ford charge an extra $1K for the F350 Tremor? I looked at the leaf spring packs and rear axle housings today for several standard F250 and F350s at the dealer by my house. There is a big difference between the two on standard Super Duty's. There was less leafs and a smaller differential housing on the F250s, except if it had the High Capacity Towing package. With the higher towing package, the F250s and F350s SRW configurations were identical with the same part numbers and markings on each.

My point is the Tremor has the same towing hardware underneath the bed, so there is not a question of whether I need the higher towing capacity. I get the same towing capacity whether I buy the F250 or the F350. (Sumo or no sumo) The real question is do I need the higher number on my yellow sticker in the door jamb and is the sticker really worth $1000?
To me? Yes. $1000 isn’t really very much compared to the purchase price. I like to be legal when I drive (except for speed ?). I have no idea what the future holds. If I buy the 250 and I never need to tow or haul above it’s limits, I’m out $1000. However, if I do buy something that falls in that space between the 250 and 350 limits, I would have to sell my truck and buy a different one to fill the gap (or rent/borrow).

-The next part is pure speculation but it’s my opinion

As for the price difference, economists call it “price discrimination.” Basically it’s a means to sell customers the same product at the maximum price they are willing to pay. Sometimes this is accomplished by intentionally limiting a product rather than actually building a separate inferior product. Ultimately, it’s actually good for the market. Tesla has the best example I’ve seen of it in recent years.

-Edit: To be clear, I think that Ford considers the 350 to be a more premium product and have made the base price slightly higher. This price discrimination is carried through the build process so, even though our 250 tremors are identical to the 350, the higher base price remains.

Last edited:
Ate

Aren’t the CPOs tied to a timeframe?
Other than that, what’re you looking for? The Lariat Ultimate (speak: Platinum is all of the useless extras)? Cars.com shows me there’s 72 Lariat Tremors and 40 XLT Tremors available for delivery in the US right now. 180 overall and most of them diesels (120+) and a few of the 7.3 Godzilla’s... lots of choice out there these days...

Yes, my PCO expires on 01/04/21. As I mentioned in a another thread, my dealer said he would lock the PCO in as long as I get my VIN before it expires. He has a very closely optioned 2020 sitting on his lot in the correct color, but it has the pano roof and a few other items I really do not need or want. I have spent a LOT of time looking already, and at this point, I would rather get a 2021 with the exact features and no compromises. I am not in a hurry, so waiting 4-5 months is not a big deal for me.

Yes, my PCO expires on 01/04/21. As I mentioned in a another thread, my dealer said he would lock the PCO in as long as I get my VIN before it expires. He has a very closely optioned 2020 sitting on his lot in the correct color, but it has the pano roof and a few other items I really do not need or want. I have spent a LOT of time looking already, and at this point, I would rather get a 2021 with the exact features and no compromises. I am not in a hurry, so waiting 4-5 months is not a big deal for me.
I feel you that's why I ordered mine I refused to have the sun roof and all the lariat have the sun roof on the lot .... But I have every other feature minus a winch And a front bumper but a fully loaded tremor

My take is depends on your area rules and what your possible current load and any near future load upgrades may be to justify the extra $1K. I was torn on this decision as well. I was originally thinking F250 since when I was getting ready to order the online rear suspension comparisons were not out yet. Initially thought the F250 would give a better empty ride. Luckily was able to find a F250 Tremor and couldn’t find any suspension difference on the F250 vs F350. With no visible difference got me thinking of why limit payload if no difference other than cost.

Started making payload estimates and actual weight measurements to see if the extra payload would even be needed. I was surprised how quickly passengers and cargo ate up payload. Went out and weighed my largest trailer on a local unmanned DOT scale and even though fully loaded it was just over 9K lbs the tongue weight was much heavier than I assumed at almost 1400lbs. Initially was only estimating 900lbs loaded tongue weight. Coupled with the fact that the 6’9” box can fit another ATV in the box while towing now it is possible to go over the ~2800lb payload with my current stuff on just a simple ATV trip. With no financial or CDL penalties where I live going F350 it was a easier decision to spend the extra money to ensure the truck GVWR rating is over my current estimated max load plus giving room for future trailer expansion.

Even after all of that, when I licensed the truck found I could have opted to register it for a higher GVW than the sticker on the door in my state. If going that route from a state DOT standpoint could have got the F250 and registered for a higher GVW to avoid DOT fines if ever weighed. Not sure how that would hold up out of state travel so I would still go F350 for a case similar to mine.

I think it’s good to research out your state and federal DOT rules out ahead of time to ensure you get what will work best for your situation. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
I cant think of a single Valid Reason to buy a 250....
It saves me $115 a year in registration fees for the Communistwealth of Pennsylvania by going with the 250 instead of the 350. Not planning on hauling anything heavy enough to put me in the next category so it was easy for me to save money during purchase and in perpetuity for registration.

I cant think of a single Valid Reason to buy a 250....
In California, you are technically required to stop at all weigh stations for GVWR of 11,500 or more (so 350 diesel, the gas units have a lower GVWR). That was a dealbreaker to me. It’s also ~$300/year more to register but I didn’t really care about that.

Side note: it’s really frustrating that, on a regular F350 diesel SRW, Ford offers an 11,400 lb GVWR derate but you can’t select that package with the tremor package (2020). I tried when we input my build at the dealership. You can only do the 10k derate but that’s lower than the f250 GVWR.

Back