What does 3000lbs+ look like in the bed?

toximus

Tremor Fiend
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Jeep LJ
I had 1100lbs in the back today, the overloads were still 2" away from touching and it looked like I could easily have doubled the load based on how little it squatted. Still loved 10th gear and got 18.7mpg on the 3 hour drive home according to the dash.

My trailer is going to be between 3000-3300lbs pin weight, so I'm curious what that looks like and if I should preemptively put airbags on it?

20220915_175145.jpg

I had 1100lbs in the back today, the overloads were still 2" away from touching and it looked like I could easily have doubled the load based on how little it squatted. Still loved 10th gear and got 18.7mpg on the 3 hour drive home according to the dash.

My trailer is going to be between 3000-3300lbs pin weight, so I'm curious what that looks like and if I should preemptively put airbags on it?

View attachment 60930
I have a 7.3. But when I first threw a pallet of grout in back to bring to a customer. I was surprised how much it dropped. It was 3000lbs exactly. My rear sway bar actually bent the shit out of my spare tire heat shield when it rotated up.

My F350 7.3 squatted almost 4 inches with 3300 pin from 5er. Put on timbrens and only 2 inches now. Rides level with timbrens under load.

IMO I would put bags on for that kind of pin weight, especially if you will be putting any kind of miles on with that weight. Around the block no big deal over 30min drive I would put air in. The extra spring capacity (not payload capacity) will help it ride better, handle the weight better, and look better. I would also find a set that can be run with 0-PSI for when unloaded. Even 5-psi will make the ride quite a bit stiffer when unloaded.

Back