What do you guys run for winter weight?

Wrangler98

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 tremor 6.7
I usually run sand bags, but I’m sick and tired off sand getting everywhere. They never store well over the summer either. I wish they made something that would hold tractor suitcase weights securely without them becoming Missiles in an accident. I’ve also thought about stall Matts for horses, 3/4 inch thick 6ft long 100 lbs a piece. Stack up 4 or 5 of those maybe.

In my mind I was thinking of getting an apporx 750 pound sheet of steel or some sort of heavy material cut in the shape of the bed and having a few rings welded to it to lower and lift with a hoist to leave in when not loaded.

Sand bags seem like too much work and as mentioned above messy.

Not sure what the best option is..

Semi truck tire tubes. Cut tube, remove the stem, wire tie one end fill with sand wire tie the other end. Then wrestle that anaconda into the back of the tuck. Usually get 4 years out of them before they start beaking down and leaking sand.

I disagree the back of these trucks are pretty light, especially if you have a plow hanging off the front. I live in northern Maine, we get a lot of snow and ice. Usually run studded tires if we are pulling trailers down dirt roads also, they turn into solid ice.

I disagree the back of these trucks are pretty light, especially if you have a plow hanging off the front. I live in northern Maine, we get a lot of snow and ice. Usually run studded tires if we are pulling trailers down dirt roads also, they turn into solid ice.
the plow is a game changer for weight distribution

Load my bed up with bags of solar salt, it's something I use anyways in water softener.
But not gonna lie.....when the state sprays that magnesium chloride on the road, I stay home.
That stuff is extremely corrosive.

It's a shame because the wife and I always went on a deep snow drive just for fun but haven't done it since they went away from the pellets and went to stuff that causes frame cancer.

Load my bed up with bags of solar salt, it's something I use anyways in water softener.
But not gonna lie.....when the state sprays that magnesium chloride on the road, I stay home.
That stuff is extremely corrosive.

It's a shame because the wife and I always went on a deep snow drive just for fun but haven't done it since they went away from the pellets and went to stuff that causes frame cancer.
same problem here I try to avoid driving in that shit. We have a dedicated sacrificial vehicle for those days.

patio blocks from home depot. Cheap and heavy. use the slots in the bed to put 2x6 board across to hold in place.

I used to do weight in the back but i found it to be a pain in the ass. I regularly put my atv or snowmobile in the back and other crap and found that the sand or blocks got in the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210114-180011_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210114-180011_Gallery.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 17
I disagree the back of these trucks are pretty light, especially if you have a plow hanging off the front. ...

You should have opened with the snowplow detail. I was going to say the truck is heavy enough as is, but I can definitely see a heavy plow hanging out from causing some issues.

If I had to add some weight in the back I would go with a supplemental fuel tank and keep full. Salt or sand could be useful if you can find a better way of containing them. That way if you get stuck it'll help get some traction.

I usually run sand bags, but I’m sick and tired off sand getting everywhere. They never store well over the summer either. I wish they made something that would hold tractor suitcase weights securely without them becoming Missiles in an accident. I’ve also thought about stall Matts for horses, 3/4 inch thick 6ft long 100 lbs a piece. Stack up 4 or 5 of those maybe.
Stall mats work well. I have one in the bed year round. Used to use them to raise floor for.slide in camper so it would clear the cab.

Back