What did you do to your Tremor today?

Here's the relevant code for Texas:

Sec. 547.352. ADDITIONAL LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS. In addition to other equipment required by this chapter:
(1) a bus, truck, trailer, or semitrailer that is at least 80 inches wide shall be equipped with:
(A) two clearance lamps on the front, one at each side;
(B) two clearance lamps on the rear, one at each side;
(C) four side marker lamps, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear;
(D) four reflectors, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear; and
(E) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;
(2) a bus or truck that is at least 30 feet long shall be equipped with hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;
(3) a trailer or semitrailer that is at least 30 feet long shall be equipped with:
(A) two side marker lamps, one centrally mounted on each side with respect to the length of the vehicle;
(B) two reflectors, one centrally mounted on each side with respect to the length of the vehicle; and
(C) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;
(4) a pole trailer shall be equipped with:
(A) two side marker lamps, one at each side at or near the front of the load;
(B) one reflector at or near the front of the load;
(C) one combination marker lamp that:
(i) emits an amber light to the front and a red light to the rear and side; and
(ii) is mounted on the rearmost support for the load to indicate the maximum width of the trailer; and
(D) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331, if the pole trailer is at least 30 feet long or at least 80 inches wide;
(5) a truck-tractor shall be equipped with:
(A) two clearance lamps, one at each side on the front of the cab; and
(B) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331, if the truck-tractor is at least 30 feet long or at least 80 inches wide; and
(6) a vehicle at least 80 inches wide may be equipped with:
(A) not more than three front identification lamps without glare; and
(B) not more than three rear identification lamps without glare.

Since the kit has 5 lights in the front instead of 3, does that cause an issue with 6A in the above code? The roof of @DriftwoodTremor has the appropriate front clearance lamps (1A) and front identification lamps (6A). Since these are in compliance with 547.352, does the grill lights not matter? I really like the look of this mod, but would be really annoyed by a fix-it ticket for something that, IMO, increases visibility of the vehicle to other drivers at night (in addition to looking good).

Here's the relevant code for Texas:

Sec. 547.352. ADDITIONAL LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS. In addition to other equipment required by this chapter:
(1) a bus, truck, trailer, or semitrailer that is at least 80 inches wide shall be equipped with:
(A) two clearance lamps on the front, one at each side;
(B) two clearance lamps on the rear, one at each side;
(C) four side marker lamps, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear;
(D) four reflectors, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear; and
(E) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;
(2) a bus or truck that is at least 30 feet long shall be equipped with hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;
(3) a trailer or semitrailer that is at least 30 feet long shall be equipped with:
(A) two side marker lamps, one centrally mounted on each side with respect to the length of the vehicle;
(B) two reflectors, one centrally mounted on each side with respect to the length of the vehicle; and
(C) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;
(4) a pole trailer shall be equipped with:
(A) two side marker lamps, one at each side at or near the front of the load;
(B) one reflector at or near the front of the load;
(C) one combination marker lamp that:
(i) emits an amber light to the front and a red light to the rear and side; and
(ii) is mounted on the rearmost support for the load to indicate the maximum width of the trailer; and
(D) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331, if the pole trailer is at least 30 feet long or at least 80 inches wide;
(5) a truck-tractor shall be equipped with:
(A) two clearance lamps, one at each side on the front of the cab; and
(B) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331, if the truck-tractor is at least 30 feet long or at least 80 inches wide; and
(6) a vehicle at least 80 inches wide may be equipped with:
(A) not more than three front identification lamps without glare; and
(B) not more than three rear identification lamps without glare.

Since the kit has 5 lights in the front instead of 3, does that cause an issue with 6A in the above code? The roof of @DriftwoodTremor has the appropriate front clearance lamps (1A) and front identification lamps (6A). Since these are in compliance with 547.352, does the grill lights not matter? I really like the look of this mod, but would be really annoyed by a fix-it ticket for something that, IMO, increases visibility of the vehicle to other drivers at night (in addition to looking good).
Good info. As for your question about 6a I would think "No" since our trucks are not > 80" wide. Since they are narrower the code would not apply, unless this specific requirement is for all vehicles and not just a subset above a certain GVWR.

That is also why our roof marker lights are not mandatory by federal regulations.

Last edited:
Most people prefer to use two screws and two push fasteners for a more secure connection. I thought four push fasteners would be better before I installed mine, but I rather now prefer having a couple screws securing it as well.

Good info. As for your question about 6a I would think "No" since our trucks are not 80" wide. Since they are narrower the code would not apply.

That is also why our roof marker lights are not mandatory.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm wondering if it could be an issue in TX since it says "at least 80" wide" rather than "greater than 80" wide" and the 2023 SRW without mirrors is 80" wide in the published specs from Ford.

2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty Technical Specifications

Thanks for the explanation. I'm wondering if it could be an issue in TX since it says "at least 80" wide" rather than "greater than 80" wide" and the 2023 SRW without mirrors is 80" wide in the published specs from Ford.

2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty Technical Specifications
Yeah you bring up a good point! I will edit my above post to clarify that the federal requirement is >80". Our trucks are dimensionally 80" to not tip past that threshold...

I guess the local Tx requirement would take precedence but would not be able to speak to that with confidence.

I wonder if they have clear definitions for what they consider a truck for those regulations?? For instance, commercial vehicles only, perhaps?

The mandate is for 5 lights based on width (>80") with the outermost two indicating the extent of the vehicle. On the Raptor two are in the fender flares with the middle group of three in the grille, although that location is not dictated:

View attachment 108315
FYI - They are also on the rear... Middle group of three by the CHMSL and the two outer markers under the tail lights:

View attachment 108319

I always forget about the little baby marker lights

You almost never saw vehicles with 3-5 yellow lights in the grill till the Raptor and then suddenly it became a cool guy thing to add yellow grill lights copying the Raptor

Needless to say I do not understand the fad of copying raptor grill lights

Good info. As for your question about 6a I would think "No" since our trucks are not > 80" wide. Since they are narrower the code would not apply, unless this specific requirement is for all vehicles and not just a subset above a certain GVWR.

That is also why our roof marker lights are not mandatory by federal regulations.

How does DOT requirements affect state requirements & if you are legal federally via DoT can states mandate other specifications and cite you for not complying with state requirements

Talk about a can of worms

Talk about a can of worms
I think that is a good summation!

I'm no expert but for the most part I believe you have to confirm to the legal requirements for the state in which your vehicle is registered. There are probably other applicable situations but I will defer to your statement... 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Gus
Well heck....did not mean to open a can of worms with the Raptor grill lights. I just like how they looked ;). Wonder what will happen when I mount the twin 50 calibers to the bed....
Imagine the problems a Texas bull hauler would cause with all his unnecessary lights.

Well heck....did not mean to open a can of worms with the Raptor grill lights. I just like how they looked ;). Wonder what will happen when I mount the twin 50 calibers to the bed....

I’m more impressed you can afford twin 50’s let alone the cost of feeding them properly

I think you get crowned King of the Road in Texas 😆

I added some badges today.
A42B67DC-3CBA-4E3A-AB8D-38E7F9C831AB.jpeg

Finally ordered a LEER 100XR topper. Been wanting one for a while and decided today is the day. Can't wait till it comes in.

Back