What did you do to your Tremor today?

Installed BD High Idle Kit. Very easy install.

Decided to make it easily accessible by mounting on the Builtright dash insert. The insert now becomes a full control center for most of my internal additions. Variable idle speed, powers GPS/front full time camera view, Phone charging station, 3 types of power: Ignition ON; Always ON; and Upfitter ON, via independent 12V sockets, Upfitter switch controls my WeBoost amplifier and the up-front full-time camera with the Dash Power upfitter. All other addons; front and rear lights, external power access, etc. controlled through upfitters. View attachment 146253
Did you wire the tissue box too? 🤪

Anyone that has the AMP bed step 2...worth it? Make it easier to access 5th wheel hitch? I'm wondering if, with 37s, it'll help since hopping on the tire will be that much higher...

Anyone that has the AMP bed step 2...worth it? Make it easier to access 5th wheel hitch? I'm wondering if, with 37s, it'll help since hopping on the tire will be that much higher...
I don't have the 5th wheel hitch, but I did add the bedstep2 on both sides for accessing my under-cover storage box which sits next to the cab. And I'm 6'2". Absolutely helps.

You have pics? Mainly the one around the lights you were talking about. Getting a camper shell soon and want to be prepared to seal her up. Curious as to how you did yours 👍

My Tremor is definitely messing with me. 😅
I went back to town a few hours after the above post, phone all set up to record video of the electronics freaking out, aaaaand nothing. It started up just fine like nothing had ever been wrong. No warnings, no trouble lights on the dash. It must have dried out enough in that relatively short period of time to start working again. I do have the Ford Pass alerts screenshotted though.

I still find it concerning that something is so poorly connected that a little water could cause that sort of a problem and intend to discuss it with a service advisor at the local Ford dealer tomorrow in any case to see if they have any insights.

Glad to hear that you are back up and running without the light and sound show! Hopefully the dealer can help explain what happened.

Was the car wash a full service, ride thru tunnel type where the hood never gets opened (or maybe does during the drying process?) or a self-serve power wash with handheld wand type?
If so, was the hood up and the engine bay sprayed as well?
Thanks

Glad to hear that you are back up and running without the light and sound show! Hopefully the dealer can help explain what happened.

Was the car wash a full service, ride thru tunnel type where the hood never gets opened (or maybe does during the drying process?) or a self-serve power wash with handheld wand type?
If so, was the hood up and the engine bay sprayed as well?
Thanks
It's a touchless drive through wash bay. I've used it before without any ill effects and on all my other vehicles as well. Nothing gets opened during the process. (use your child safety features for window and door locks if you have young kids in the car) :ROFLMAO:
Pull in, stop when it beeps and the red light comes on, wait for it to do its thing then drive out when it finishes.

It's an older model of this:

Laser Wash 360 Plus

There are two in town, this one does a better job than the other, and there are a handful of handheld wand type bays when they aren't shut down due to cold weather.

Due to the rapid recovery, I suspect an electrical connector was not plugged in quite completely during assembly and may have loosened a bit due to vibration from use. I still need to call and ask for any insights. they may have investigated this before for other customers and know based on that and which systems were affected, which plugs and connectors to check and where they are.

It's a touchless drive through wash bay. I've used it before without any ill effects and on all my other vehicles as well

I personally only use manual wash bays where i can control where the water is sprayed or simply use a pressure washer at home. I get it that a well engineered vehicle should go through any car wash just fine, but after seeing many stories on F150 forum of 2021 and up trucks faulting electronics at car washes i decided against ever going into auto car wash on this truck, be it touch-less or not. Your post is a reassurance that it was the right decision.

I personally only use manual wash bays where i can control where the water is sprayed or simply use a pressure washer at home. I get it that a well engineered vehicle should go through any car wash just fine, but after seeing many stories on F150 forum of 2021 and up trucks faulting electronics at car washes i decided against ever going into auto car wash on this truck, be it touch-less or not. Your post is a reassurance that it was the right decision.
+1...plus I've heard those drive thru places use harsh chemicals that can damage your paint over time. I've "got a guy" that comes to the house and does the best wash/detail inside and out for $70. He's awesome.

Nothing fancy and only slightly creative: used a key ring and a couple inches of p cord as a handle for the rear seat mechanism to open the rear drivers side seat back easier. Drilled a 5/64" hole to run the key ring through and attached the cord to it. The cord is not visible when the seat is in normal position and just long enough to find when reaching for it. There is not much room for storage back there but random less often used items fit snug.

Attachments

• 20240225_170332.jpg
    20240225_170332.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 47
I really like that cap!
Thank you. It is an ARE Z series. I went back with ARE after having one on my last truck for 13 years with zero issues. My local dealer is about an hour away and will not order until they see the vehicle and confirm the paint code. It was about $3700 out the door. Options I added were two full length LEDs in addition to the standard center LED and fold down sliding window. Makes it easy to clean the glass on the back of the cab. Tailgate camera unaffected by install, but lost my rear cab camera. Let me know if you need any additional. Saw a previous post that you were in the market for one up there in the great north woods.

+1...plus I've heard those drive thru places use harsh chemicals that can damage your paint over time. I've "got a guy" that comes to the house and does the best wash/detail inside and out for $70. He's awesome.
Crackhead?! $70 is a scary type of cheap 🤣

It's a touchless drive through wash bay. I've used it before without any ill effects and on all my other vehicles as well. Nothing gets opened during the process. (use your child safety features for window and door locks if you have young kids in the car) :ROFLMAO:
Pull in, stop when it beeps and the red light comes on, wait for it to do its thing then drive out when it finishes.

Laser Wash 360 Plus

There are two in town, this one does a better job than the other, and there are a handful of handheld wand type bays when they aren't shut down due to cold weather.

Due to the rapid recovery, I suspect an electrical connector was not plugged in quite completely during assembly and may have loosened a bit due to vibration from use. I still need to call and ask for any insights. they may have investigated this before for other customers and know based on that and which systems were affected, which plugs and connectors to check and where they are.
On my 22 they found water intrusion in the taillight harness/plugs. Replaced it all under warranty and haven't had the problem since. Been almost a year now and I hit the touchless car wash every week. There was a lot of corrosion on the pins when they pulled it apart.

Even if the errors are gone in the app/dashboard the dealer can still look up your vin and see the history on their end. They showed me a calendar with every day that the problem happened.

I had similar issues to you. Pretty much everything in the truck shorting out and not working.

Laser Wash 360 Plus

Thanks for the detailed response! I haven’t heard of the type of facility you described around here. Sounds interesting!
I’ve never taken any of my Excursion’s or the Tremor thru one of our local car washes. Too risky! Way too many complaints on Yelp and our local NextDoor sites of the vehicles coming out of the tunnel with scratches, scrapes and dings! The quality/lack thereof of the employees leave much to be desired. That’s sad too. A good car wash can be a very profitable enterprise!
I hope the dealer gives you some good info and if it’s a known issue, a competent fix!👍

Thanks for the detailed response! I haven’t heard of the type of facility you described around here. Sounds interesting!
I’ve never taken any of my Excursion’s or the Tremor thru one of our local car washes. Too risky! Way too many complaints on Yelp and our local NextDoor sites of the vehicles coming out of the tunnel with scratches, scrapes and dings! The quality/lack thereof of the employees leave much to be desired. That’s sad too. A good car wash can be a very profitable enterprise!
I hope the dealer gives you some good info and if it’s a known issue, a competent fix!👍
I did get more info talking to one of the good service writers at the local Ford dealer (The Ford dealer poached the two best ones that I've known and liked for years from the Dodge/Jeep/Chevy dealer a mile down the road :ROFLMAO: )

I barely got through a description of the symptoms when I got a sympathetic "ohh, yeah, we've heard this complaint before."
Apparently the remaining water droplets falling and moving, and the air blowing from the slowing drying fans shaking stuff and moving the water around cause the systems to freak out during initialization because "they're just so sensitive like that".

Other than simply not using that wash method, my options may include the following after some experimentation;
  • Wait a little longer for the drying fan to slow all the way off after power down.
  • Drive a block or two away, power down the truck for a moment, restart.
  • Go shopping for groceries or something for a bit if it needs to dry off more.
  • Just go straight to wherever I'm parking it and leave it alone for however long, an hour, overnight, who knows.
So it seems like there's no actual water intrusion shorting stuff, it just needs a bit of time to gather it's wits after being started without these extra disturbances upsetting the gadgets.
I didn't actually get a response when I commented "Well, I hope it doesn't react like this every time I drive it in a rain storm."

I guess I just need to experiment to find out what and how long it needs to get its :poop: together before I hit the start button so it can boot up properly before I drive away.

I hope this may help and ?reassure? anyone experiencing similar symptoms.

I did get more info talking to one of the good service writers at the local Ford dealer (The Ford dealer poached the two best ones that I've known and liked for years from the Dodge/Jeep/Chevy dealer a mile down the road :ROFLMAO: )

I barely got through a description of the symptoms when I got a sympathetic "ohh, yeah, we've heard this complaint before."
Apparently the remaining water droplets falling and moving, and the air blowing from the slowing drying fans shaking stuff and moving the water around cause the systems to freak out during initialization because "they're just so sensitive like that".

Other than simply not using that wash method, my options may include the following after some experimentation;
  • Wait a little longer for the drying fan to slow all the way off after power down.
  • Drive a block or two away, power down the truck for a moment, restart.
  • Go shopping for groceries or something for a bit if it needs to dry off more.
  • Just go straight to wherever I'm parking it and leave it alone for however long, an hour, overnight, who knows.
So it seems like there's no actual water intrusion shorting stuff, it just needs a bit of time to gather it's wits after being started without these extra disturbances upsetting the gadgets.
I didn't actually get a response when I commented "Well, I hope it doesn't react like this every time I drive it in a rain storm."

I guess I just need to experiment to find out what and how long it needs to get its :poop: together before I hit the start button so it can boot up properly before I drive away.

I hope this may help and ?reassure? anyone experiencing similar symptoms.
That sounds like BS. What sensor could a little vibration throw off to cause multiple system faults that kills many electrical functions all at the same time.

The water in a connector causing a short is way more likely. Especially if it happens right after a car wash that is spraying pressurized water all over under the truck.

Every function of these modern vehicles is digitally controlled by 1 of a couple dozen computers. When one of them starts throwing garbage into the canbus network it causes them all to crash. Then when it dries out enough it will all start working again. When mine happened there were probably 5+ canbus communication errors in there as well.

Last edited:
Added some Baja Designs S2 reverse lights to my #6 Aux switch. I didn’t move the fuse to always hot yet to make sure I don’t keep forgetting. Install was easy and they are bright! I still need to fine tune the angles but have them setup dead level right now. Much better than the stock reverse lights
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4562.jpeg
IMG_4561.jpeg

Just received my console safe today from @Rrw. It arrived safely 🤪 by UPS of course.

After this morning's debacle, you know why I got it 😉

1000006361.jpg

Back