Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
I have been having worsening issues on cold startups of my 2020 6.7 F350.

I first noticed about a month ago that occasionally, my memory settings for my seats, pedals and steering wheel would not happen on startup. On cold startups, it seemed to sometimes crank a bit slowly, but not every time.

Then, I have had two or three issues where when I push the button to start, it cranks maybe one turn of the starter and stops before the engine starts. Push it again and it starts apparently normally. Again, occasionally it doesn't seem to crank as fast as usual, but other times it seems normal.

Yesterday, I started it, but got a very brief, weird headlight flash (it was in the dark garage facing out but it was pretty overcast), and the seats did not go to the memory position but it did start normally. Then, maybe 10 seconds later as I was pulling out of the driveway, I got all kinds of warnings about Advanced Track not working, drive modes unavailable, not sure what else as I didn't notice the warnings immediately as I was looking for cross traffic to pull out. It had the anti-skid icon displaying during the 10 minute drive. Upon reaching my destination, I shut down, restarted and everything was normal. When I returned after an hour, all was still normal.

I am thinking my 3 year old Ford batteries are getting weak, but wanted to bounce the issues off of the brain-trust we have here.

Thoughts?

Ed

I would guess it is the batteries for sure. Impressed that you got 3 yrs out of your batteries.

I was going to suggest the batteries but you did yourself and so has @TexasTremor and that'd be where I'd start. I've read other posts mentioning similar situations and the batteries were the culprit.

I have been having worsening issues on cold startups of my 2020 6.7 F350.

I first noticed about a month ago that occasionally, my memory settings for my seats, pedals and steering wheel would not happen on startup. On cold startups, it seemed to sometimes crank a bit slowly, but not every time.

Then, I have had two or three issues where when I push the button to start, it cranks maybe one turn of the starter and stops before the engine starts. Push it again and it starts apparently normally. Again, occasionally it doesn't seem to crank as fast as usual, but other times it seems normal.

Yesterday, I started it, but got a very brief, weird headlight flash (it was in the dark garage facing out but it was pretty overcast), and the seats did not go to the memory position but it did start normally. Then, maybe 10 seconds later as I was pulling out of the driveway, I got all kinds of warnings about Advanced Track not working, drive modes unavailable, not sure what else as I didn't notice the warnings immediately as I was looking for cross traffic to pull out. It had the anti-skid icon displaying during the 10 minute drive. Upon reaching my destination, I shut down, restarted and everything was normal. When I returned after an hour, all was still normal.

I am thinking my 3 year old Ford batteries are getting weak, but wanted to bounce the issues off of the brain-trust we have here.

Thoughts?

Ed
First inclination would be batteries. You can test this in a myriad of ways from putting a voltmeter at the batteries and observe the voltage level just before cranking, during cranking, and post cranking. At no cranking, voltage should read ~12.6 volts, post cranking and running, ~14 volts. The voltage should not drop more than ~12.2 volts during cranking and ideally, 12.6, though this is seldom the case due to ageing of the batteries and connection of the wire to the battery terminal oxidation.

You can also simply put a plug-in voltmeter in the cigarette lighter socket and observe, though these are somewhat unreliable for accuracy, but would show you the voltage swings. (Also, digital refresh is somewhat slow.) Ideally, have the test performed in a garage or the manufacturer with their battery tester. I have also found many auto stores will do a load test at their shop to determine if a battery is defective. A load test is the best way to test this, but you would have to have a load tester on hand. (There are many available)

Lastly, if you load test each battery independently, you get a better result. Sometimes one defective battery can cause the issue. At least, testing the batteries will get you headed into the right direction for troubleshooting a different problem.

As always, hope this helps.

While a voltage check is a good starting point, a battery can show proper voltage and hold little to no amperage. Load testing would be your definitive answer.
This is true... Monitoring the voltage during the cranking cycle, is a quick load test, providing your meter has a fast refresh rate whereby you can see the variations or use an analog meter for instantaneous results. OP may need to have this done at a shop with an actual load tester.

While checking batteries I would also check the grounds and battery terminals for corrosion. Probably a good idea to check the fuse box under the hood too and make sure it was closed properly and didn’t corrode.

Thanks all for the replies. I went out to check the voltage and it is at 11.54v. It has been sitting for about 24 hours.

I tried to start by using my FOB while holding the voltage probes on the battery terminals and all I get is a single honk. Assuming voltage is too low to start.

Guess it is battery time.

Ed

I recommend a pair of Odyssey Extreme batteries.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Ed

Thanks all for the replies. I went out to check the voltage and it is at 11.54v. It has been sitting for about 24 hours.

I tried to start by using my FOB while holding the voltage probes on the battery terminals and all I get is a single honk. Assuming voltage is too low to start.

Guess it is battery time.

Ed
Did you hold down the hood switch while trying that? Remote start won't work and gives a single honk with the hood open.

Did you hold down the hood switch while trying that? Remote start won't work and gives a single honk with the hood open.
I did not. I wish I had known that, but it would have probably made no difference. I charged the truck for 2 hours and still no start. New batteries and I am up an running like new!

Thanks all!

Ed

Latest Discussions

Back