Weird stability control behavior?

flafonta

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
I was driving my 2021 F250 Tremor, fully loaded with a slide-in camper, on highway at 75mph (speed limit).

It was windy (20mph), cross/front wind, and with camper, it was not super easy to drive, but not too bad.

There was a 4-5 feet long track depression/patch on one side of the road that I hit with my left tire.

As I hit it, it felt very weird and scary (especially for my wife).

I felt a pretty strong tug from that side. It felt like I just had a flat on that front left tire. Or that the brakes were applied only to that wheel.

Is it possible that the traction control kicked in and applied the brakes on that wheel only to correct a perceived out of control situation? With all the excitement and drama, I do not know if the stability control lit or not.

I should probably drive slower.... but any thoughts on what could have happened?

Thanks for your input.

It’s possible that what you felt was a stability control intervention.

Have you added a rear sway bar to your truck?

Good deal (y) Hellwig is the way to go!

The combination of things probably caused the stability control ECU to get confused. Some steering angle due to wind but actually traveling straight. The truck dropping to the left abruptly, plus heavily loaded (high center of gravity). To the ECU it probably looked more like a skidding situation (oversteer control presumably) and warranted a brake intervention.

Seems like a pretty unique situation for this to occur but I think your truck was just trying to keep you safe :)

Latest Discussions

Back