Weird Mildew Smell

bbrett

Tremoraholic
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 Lariat Tremor
Anyone else randomly get a weird mildew smell when they turn on their A/C from time to time? Doesn't always happen, I think I saw somewhere that other F-150/250 owners had a similar experience. Just wanted to see what was done to get rid of it. Changed cabin filter, still happens sometimes

A common cause for a moldy smell are clogged drain lines. Do you see water dripping from under the vehicle after running the AC? If not, your drain lines are probably clogged.

Anyone else randomly get a weird mildew smell when they turn on their A/C from time to time? Doesn't always happen, I think I saw somewhere that other F-150/250 owners had a similar experience. Just wanted to see what was done to get rid of it. Changed cabin filter, still happens sometimes
Some discussion in this thread:

Thanks for the info. my drain lines don't seem to be clogged, I still get puddles on the passenger front when the AC is on.

Thanks for the info. my drain lines don't seem to be clogged, I still get puddles on the passenger front when the AC is on.
Good rule of thumb is run your fan the last 5 or so min prior to shutting the truck off (with recirculation off). That way you'll clear the system of condensation and shouldn't have this problem.

Other option is, if you've forgotten just run the fan on high and set your temp around 68/70. This will also help rid the truck of the mildew smell, but over time you'll definitely want to clean the lines.

Use this, it works great. Point vehicle uphill and use one can into the evaporator drain port. Easier to do if you already extended the drain.

f6OpqrA.jpeg

dtKUUN7.jpeg

Last edited:
If I remote start my truck about 30 seconds before I get in, the odor dissipates. Also Every few months i remove my cabin are filter and I spray Lysol in there with the fan on high. Spray until you smell the Lysol coming out of your vents.
It’s a little annoying but gets rid of the odor for a while.

My truck has the smell too, as do many of them based on my research. This is a design fail for Ford. Never had this problem in my 2015.

I'm at 34,500 miles and taking it to the dealer Wednesday before my warranty is gone hoping they can do something about it, but fully expecting they won't.

Use this, it works great. Point vehicle uphill and use one can into the evaporator drain port. Easier to do if you already extended the drain.

Did you do this on your truck? I didn't realize you could shoot something up the drain port. I assumed I had to take a bunch of stuff apart to access the evaporator.

Ordered on Amazon along with new cab filter. Fingers crossed

Did you do this on your truck? I didn't realize you could shoot something up the drain port. I assumed I had to take a bunch of stuff apart to access the evaporator.
I did! The mildew smell went away. I also put in a washable cabin air filter.

You complain of mildew smell. I complain of weed smell on hot days. I swear someone smokes a bowl in my truck everyday during the summer. Part that bothers me the most is if I get pulled over within the first 15min of driving after work is the cop gonna think the same thing.

You complain of mildew smell. I complain of weed smell on hot days. I swear someone smokes a bowl in my truck everyday during the summer. Part that bothers me the most is if I get pulled over within the first 15min of driving after work is the cop gonna think the same thing.

Wow, I am not the only one then. I've had both mildew and weed smells come out. One of these days my wife will smell it too and think it was me, hah.

Wow, I am not the only one then. I've had both mildew and weed smells come out. One of these days my wife will smell it too and think it was me, hah.
I wonder if there is some hemp used in the interior? Like in the seats or head liner.

Can confirm 2 days since I've used the recommended Klima, I changed my dirty cabin filter for a Bosch one and the smell is gone! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone!

It was quite embarrassing having people in my car with that funky smell..

I smoke weed to cover the mildew smell...

Just ordered. will report as well.

Ok, so i used the drain tube application process, and It did make a big difference. The smell was very faint and did not last but a second or two. I might do another application in future. I would recommend it.

Passenger side wheel well. In post #6 Broncho has some photos. However, he added an tube extension.

Back