Weight distribution Hitch (WDH)?

So maybe just need the anti sway and not the WDH?
From my experience yes but many of the WDH have the antiswey function built in so have to use both to get the anti sway benefits. That is if you are not getting so much tongue weight that substantial weight is coming off the front wheels than the WDH will reduce sway due to lower pressure on sterling axle.

Here is where I stand on this. If it makes you feel more comfortable, get a WDH. I dont know the size, width etc of your trailer, and at the end of the day, a WDH for something that light is rather cheap. you dont need anything crazy at all. Honestly, 500-600$ to have that piece of mind in the back of your head, will be worth it. if your doubting yourself at all.
Trailer is 25’ long and 8 ‘ wide. The problem I have is that when I pass or get passed by semi trucks large box trucks/ other big TT or 5th wheelers it feels like they are pulling me into them.

Trailer is 25’ long and 8 ‘ wide. The problem I have is that when I pass or get passed by semi trucks large box trucks/ other big TT or 5th wheelers it feels like they are pulling me into them.
There are many ant sway options that will help. I have had good luck with the Anderson no sway on my old rigs but haven’t tried it yet on the Tremor. Looking to get a 2.5” shank over adapter. My trailer is 8.5’ x 25’ and dose pretty well without it so haven’t been in a hurry to get the parts until make longer trips next year.

Last edited:
If i was you, i would get an WDH with anti sway. first and foremost, thats a lot of volume for the little weight. my trailer is only 9 ft longer and weighs 10k empty. Anti sway will help make you feel comfortable when your towing it. Outside that, Hopefully this validates what you already are thinking, and just wanted to make sure before you spend $ :)

My car enclosed car trailer same deal its extra wide and tall 28' long, I used to pull it with an F150 superb 4x4 with the 351. The weight distributing set up is awesome. I wish I could configure one for my pintle trailer for my skid loader how ever I like the pintle for job sites where I am off pavement and need to disconnect in a tight space. If I ever change from my 5th wheel RV to a travel trailer I will for certain use one.

I did the first tow today with the tremor
I came from a Toyota tundra and have the Fastaway E2 round bar weight distribution hitch
It seems the truck doesnt really need the weight distrubution of the hitch but i want the sway control

at first i think there was too much weight distrubution that made the front of the trailer too light i adjusted the drop brackets and went on a 10 mile drive and seems better

im not sure if more of a drop shank would help with adjustment I am adjusted as far down as my current shank will go. The rv dealer setup the hitch on the tundra so i am new to the truck and adjusting the wd setup

it seems like there is almost no change in the front fender measurements whether unloaded, loaded, or with weight distrubution

@RickLB the push/pull is normal when passing semis. My F150 pulling 19 Fury 2910 (TH) 9K lbs would feel it all the time. However when i towed it labor day weekend with my 350 i did not feel it. Maybe once in a while. Like others have said the big take away is ensuring its properly loaded, WDH is set up properly. For example i used my TH to go to the ATV park for a day. I had my 19 Defender XMR loaded and my trailer felt squirly because i didnt have all the extra stuff for camping. So i filled my fresh water (front of camper) and it solved the problem.

WDH/Sway control are worth the piece of mind. Your spending 100K + on Truck and trailer. Why not protect it and your loved ones with a $600 part.

I’m towing 12k Toy Hauler with 1850 hitch weight. This truck is all over the road. Thinking it’s the tires or I need to adjust my WDH. When I towed with my Titan XD Diesel, it was solid. Zero sway. This one, when a car gets on my back end, it dances a little. Same hitch. Blue Ox WDH.

Which WDH are you using?

@RickLB the push/pull is normal when passing semis. My F150 pulling 19 Fury 2910 (TH) 9K lbs would feel it all the time. However when i towed it labor day weekend with my 350 i did not feel it. Maybe once in a while. Like others have said the big take away is ensuring its properly loaded, WDH is set up properly. For example i used my TH to go to the ATV park for a day. I had my 19 Defender XMR loaded and my trailer felt squirly because i didnt have all the extra stuff for camping. So i filled my fresh water (front of camper) and it solved the problem.

WDH/Sway control are worth the piece of mind. Your spending 100K + on Truck and trailer. Why not protect it and your loved ones with a $600 part.

So maybe just need the anti sway and not the WDH?

I bought a WDH with sway control. I pull a GVWR of 10,000 low profile travel trailer (Black Series HQ17) with an actual loaded weight of 8,000 pounds and tongue weight of somewhere around 800+ pounds and found the WDH helpful but not critical. I tested without the WDH by driving in 60 MPH gusts in Wyoming and had no issues towing my specific trailer. I also have the McHitch automatic coupler which may also make a difference in drivability, I just don't know because my particular trailer only comes with a non-ball hitch rotating head for off-road use. Contact Ford to see if they recommend one or not given your truck specs and trailer specs. I will do the same for my setup just to see what they say. I do have the high capacity tow package on my Tremor with 3" hitch.

Back