Weight distribution Hitch (WDH)?

F250HunterCA

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250
Good day,

My first post here! Excited to join. We just bought an F250 6.7 Diesel Tremor pkg with the HIGH CAP TRLER TOW PKG PTBA.

Would any of you happen to be pulling an approx. 10,000 GVWR trailer with your F250 Tremor 6.7 Diesel?How does it tow? Would you recommend a WDH?

I am thinking of just trying it out without one, but we plan on travelling cross-country in windy states and thought we might be better off starting out with one and making adjustments from there.

Any thoughts appreciated.

What type of trailer, travel trailer and which model? if a bumper pull travel trailer then without at doubt, WD hitch with sway control as well.

What type of trailer, travel trailer and which model? if a bumper pull travel trailer then without at doubt, WD hitch with sway control as well.

Bumper pull with this specific 6 tonne hitch: "McHitch automatic coupler". The travel trailer is the HQ17 Black Series.

Do you have any experience with the WD Hitch with sway control from Equalizer? They have this model that seems to be rated higher than the trailer: 1600 tongue/16,000 GVWR WDH. Else, which other company would you look at?

So I have a 10k lbs 2020 Forest River 32 ft Hertiage Glen. I towed it for the first time to the river (300 miles) thisnpast Labor Day weekend. Its a tow behind and I have a Weight Safe WS6-3. I was worried about not having a WD hitch. Honestly, it was super smooth the whole trip. On way back while passing through Palm Springs, it was stupid windy. It was definitely pushing the trailer around but I slowed to 55 mph and it felt solid. Ill say I’m sure it’s always better to have one, I just don’t know if I’m getting one.

I can attest first hand to sway control on the hitch! it really is a must have. While sway control does help with the avg tow, ( lowers stress, makes it handle better, feels more solid behind you) Thats not what its designed for. It was made for the wind gusts and emergency situations. When its windy, and you know it, you can slow down and everything should be better. But if you have gusts, there is no controlling it. It will blow the hell out of your camper and it will change lanes and then you'll follow it. It may seem silly, but it has saved my ass twice. the last time, it took me a few min to compose myself, and get back to towing.

I've mounted my Reese DC over onto it's 3rd trailer, I sleep better.

Another advantage to having a WDH is it mitigates sag created by tounge weight.

The big Tremor may potentially not need sway control but it's gonna sag with your trailer having over 1000 lb tounge.

I'd err on the side of caution and get a good one and be done, Reese, equalizer, blue ox to name a few.
You'll have a better overall towing experience.

I wouldn't tow without one. The truck will do it without a doubt but the WD makes the driving experience 10x better and safer.

I run the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW. It's easy to use and easy to pull off the bars when you want to go off road.

I would recommend one. I pull a very heavy skid loader with a pintle there is no weight distribution , so far no troubles, Trailer is 4000??? the loader is 7500 plus attachments

I recommend. Why wouldn't you use something that enhances safety and control. You really don't need it until you do....... I use one with my 34 foot trailer and F-150, and will use when I get the Tremor in a few weeks.

I wouldn't tow without one. The truck will do it without a doubt but the WD makes the driving experience 10x better and safer.

I run the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW. It's easy to use and easy to pull off the bars when you want to go off road.
Also have the equalizer 10k from a previous truck. You can get a 2.5” shank which is likely better than the standard 2” and then a bunch of adapters. Since I already own it, we use it. The weight puts us right at level so the Weight distribution doesn’t do much, we have it for sway.

We have been blown feet out of the lane multiple times in N. Utah and Wyoming which is why we moved up to the super duty.

This probably doesn’t help but I’m is what we’re doing.

So i towed my 19 Fury 2910 Toy Hauler this past couple weeks al over the North East. It was anywhere from 8500-10K depending if i had my SxS in it. I used my Blue Ox WDH i had from my F150. Very happy with it. wit out it, my 350 sagged 4.5 inches. Either way towed like a champ. I had the cruise set at 76, and would hit above 80 at times(tow police be quiet. LOL). The truck didn't even know it was towing. LOL.

With that said im looking to get a Bullet Proof hitch, Weigh Safe, or B&W. Whichever i go with ill be getting a 3" shank so i don't have to use a reducer.

I think im leaning towards BPH. Because they have an attachment for Sway control, or to use the WDH that you already have.

In my book always run a WDH/Sway if your towing anything over 6k(arbitrary number, go with whats comfortable to you). Better safe than sorry.

Hello.
Our first tow with the tremor package wasn’t a smooth one. So, Which WDH is the best? Lol

We just towed 2 hours to Disney and we swayed non stop. Our 2019 F-250 Towed perfectly with no sway.

Thanks for the help
5E86EB7E-4B5F-4CE5-8B7B-C4CF63AA7ECE.jpeg

Would a WDH be good for the following being pulled by a F250 Tremor?
Travel Trailer
Weights
Gross Dry Weight 4450 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 440 Lbs.
Axle Weight 4010 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1750 Lbs.
GVWR 6200 Lbs.

Would a WDH be good for the following being pulled by a F250 Tremor?
Travel Trailer
Weights
Gross Dry Weight 4450 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 440 Lbs.
Axle Weight 4010 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1750 Lbs.
GVWR 6200 Lbs.
General rule of thumb with towing, is anything under 5k doesnt need a WDH. your right on that line. i would only get one if what your towing is a wind sail.

By the time I add gear to my trailer it’s over 5000lbs easy, probably closer to 5500. If for some reason I had all 3 tanks full that is 900 + lbs. so if, worst case scenario, those tanks are full and with all gear, I’m sure I’d be pulling 6000 to 6500lbs. The TT a sail from the sides the front is slanted so not a complete brick from the front.

General rule of thumb with towing, is anything under 5k doesnt need a WDH. your right on that line. i would only get one if what your towing is a wind sail.

By the time I add gear to my trailer it’s over 5000lbs easy, probably closer to 5500. If for some reason I had all 3 tanks full that is 900 + lbs. so if, worst case scenario, those tanks are full and with all gear, I’m sure I’d be pulling 6000 to 6500lbs. The TT a sail from the sides the front is slanted so not a complete brick from the front.

Here is where I stand on this. If it makes you feel more comfortable, get a WDH. I dont know the size, width etc of your trailer, and at the end of the day, a WDH for something that light is rather cheap. you dont need anything crazy at all. Honestly, 500-600$ to have that piece of mind in the back of your head, will be worth it. if your doubting yourself at all.

Hello.
Our first tow with the tremor package wasn’t a smooth one. So, Which WDH is the best? Lol

We just towed 2 hours to Disney and we swayed non stop. Our 2019 F-250 Towed perfectly with no sway.

Thanks for the help
View attachment 5859

You may have insufficient tounge weight if your experiencing sway, should be 10 - 15% of trailer weight.
With that size trailer a WDH is a must.

You may have insufficient tounge weight if your experiencing sway, should be 10 - 15% of trailer weight.
With that size trailer a WDH is a must.
I think you are spot on with tongue weight. With my cargo definitely can tell when there is not enough tongue weight, gets squirrelly move load forward and goes away.

My experience with these HD trucks not so much the WD part but the anti sway part that makes the difference. When you have a lighter suspension than both are needed. I would pull my buddies camper that had a WD hitch with separate anti sway really didn’t help much beyond rear squat without anti sway part on my 2500. Had virtually no effect on sway with or without the WD parts. Add the anti sway part and like a whole different trailer. The hitch came with the trailer when he bought it and didn’t find the anti sway part in the trailer until was half way back on the first trip we took it on. Wish we had found that part sooner.

Last edited:
So maybe just need the anti sway and not the WDH?

Back