Weigh Safe Hitch - 6" or 8"

ibeb

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 CCSB Lariat Tremor
So, here is the deal. I have read through the millions of posts on here and other SD forums and decided that, for my needs, the 6" drop would work for me. I have a Curt 6" drop hitch with 2" ball that I use for my yard waste trailer and that trailer sits fine. After all of this, I ordered the SWS6-2.5 6" drop hitch, black, steel from the good old yahoos at Amazon. The box showed up today and it is marked all over SWS8-2.5-KA except for one sticker that says it is supposed to be the SWS6-2-5. Open it up and it is in fact the 8" drop, but it included the upgraded KA portion of the lock for the ball and a locking hitch pin all keyed alike. Goal was to have just this and quick adjustment for both the yard waste trailer and our TT.

I don't have any plans on have to pull anything for a while to check and see if it will be too long and catch pulling out of the driveway (the way they did the damn sidewalks here, I would have to increase the pressure in the air bags on my F150 to keep from catching the sway bar brackets on the tongue of the trailer).

Keep the 8" drop with upgraded lock pack and if too long just cut it down (has their black cerakote on it) or return for the 6" drop that I ordered?

Thoughts?

Thanks - Erik

Attachments

• 20210119_180105.jpg
    20210119_180105.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210119_180054.jpg
    20210119_180054.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
If you’re only running a utility trailer the 8” is going to be perfect for your everyday loads with plus/minus 3500lbs.

I run a 7” BW Tow and Stow and with my lightest load it’s about perfect 6” would be a little high.

attached is a picture of a 7” drop lowest setting.

I hope this helps.
46464744-BD50-47D0-B2ED-137D46C341DF.jpeg

6" works with the smaller yard waste trailer. It isn't a dump, so most I usually have on it is 1-1.5k. The TT is 33' and about 7.5k loaded. That is the one I'm more concerned with getting out if the driveway without the bottom of the drop hitting.

Thanks for the input and Pic ?

I just got the 8 inch black cerakote one with the 3 inch shank. On my 20ft trailer the 8 inch drop is much better than the 6 inch I used on my 2017. I ordered the 180 hitch and really wish I didn’t. The ball on the bottom hangs super low. Really wish I ordered the one with just the ball on the top. Other than that it’s a nice hitch.

I just got the 8 inch black cerakote one with the 3 inch shank. On my 20ft trailer the 8 inch drop is much better than the 6 inch I used on my 2017. I ordered the 180 hitch and really wish I didn’t. The ball on the bottom hangs super low. Really wish I ordered the one with just the ball on the top. Other than that it’s a nice hitch.
Thanks. I read that about the ball on top and bottom and people occasionally dragging the ball. That is one of the reasons I went with the weigh version and just ball on top.

Did a couple of quick measurements after work today. F350, all suspension stock and running 60 front and 80 rear. Truck parked on level concrete.

Bottom of weigh safe 8" drop is 13" from ground.
Top of 2" ball in lowest setting is 19" from ground.
Top of 2 5/16" ball in lowest setting is 19.25" from ground.

I have both my small yard waste trailer and TT parked in the corner of our yard, but will try to pull them both over to the level lot at the school to get some measurements this weekend and see if this hitch should work. Measurement to the top of the hitch in the grass for the TT is 21", but ground is not level.

Thinking it should work, but everything is unloaded now and trailer is winterized, so I won't be filling the fresh tank to get a true reflection of where I will be at.

I ought the weight safe 8 inch drop anti sway shtetl to have when I have the need to tow large. I came up with 8 inch after reading a lot of comments.

bought a non adjustable for the lighter trailer I have.

sounds like you came up on a good value... I’d keep it.

Granted everything is empty, but hooked up the small yard waste trailer on the 2" ball and the lowest setting and sits just right. When I put the level on the tongue, it is just starting to cross the line into the middle section. It should be just fine. I didn't take the time to hook up the TT, but did back up to it to get an eyeball. The trailer is sitting level and is still sitting lower than the ball at the lowest setting. The truck does sit a little nose down where the trailer is at and is not loaded up for a trip, but I feel it should work just fine.

Attachments

• 20210122_111514.jpg
    20210122_111514.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 65
Back