Weigh Safe 6" or 8"

TxTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Hey guys

I know there are plenty of posts on drops and I have read through a lot of them, and from the sounds of it the 5''-7'' drop seem to be a good spot. I am leaning towards the 6" drop weigh safe for my boat, as I am a little worried the 8" will be too much. The boat and trailer look to be around 5,800 lbs dry weight, so should the 6" drop be plenty?

Hey guys

I know there are plenty of posts on drops and I have read through a lot of them, and from the sounds of it the 5''-7'' drop seem to be a good spot. I am leaning towards the 6" drop weigh safe for my boat, as I am a little worried the 8" will be too much. The boat and trailer look to be around 5,800 lbs dry weight, so should the 6" drop be plenty?
I just went through this same research. I had my mind set on the 6" just thinking that 8 would be to low and maybe drag or just not needed. I read a post that mentioned cutting it (aluminum) and considered it a possibility. It would be better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it so I went with the 8". Just picked up my new trailer yesterday and found that one hole up from the bottom is the sweet spot, maybe 7"?
8" did not even appear too long as I thought it may
YRMV

8” for me seems about perfect on the bottom hole for my unloaded trailer.

DEFD3650-8FF9-4460-9A5E-B46D3C26D301.jpeg

With your truck level measure from the top of the hitch to the ground, then measure the form the bottom of the coupler the the ground. Subtract the last number from the first and that will tell you how long you need it.

My truck is stock and is fine with the 6" drop for my utility trailer for my sxs.

I don’t know about weighsafe, but with the bulletproof hitch 8” is most definitely the sweet spot.

they have a measuring guide and the tremor is dead nuts 8”.

and the 8” happens to line up perfectly with my trailer.

Ive yet to hit pavement. definitely drags off road on the ranch but a 6” would as well..

here’s the bulletproof measurement guide.

my level surface measurement on the tremor was just about 23” IIRC

I would go 8
just be careful if there is a steep slope or approach.

Thanks guys, I think I’ll go 8 and give it a try, I can always trim it if I need to. I don’t have the boat yet but hope to pick up in the next week or so, so probably safer to go 8”.

Back