Vibration when towing

Treedude

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor
First Responder
EFD
Truck has 3000 miles on. Hooked up some trailer this past week and truck has bad vibration only when towing. Called and talk to dealer. He said they were getting a bunch of trucks in. Owners were all saying the same thing. There are no tech service bulletins on it. Ford has no answers as of now. Is anyone having or seeing anything like this?

I’ve hauled both my utility trailer and livestock trailer (with two full grown steers) and haven’t had any issues, thankfully.

Around town you don't feel it. It's when your on the highway at speeds of 65 and up. It will shake stuff right of the dash

Around town you don't feel it. It's when your on the highway at speeds of 65 and up. It will shake stuff right of the dash
I was at those speeds, and above, and it felt rock solid. Well, probably wasn’t much abobe 60-65 with the steers down some country roads, but was moving over 80mph with the other trailer down the interstate.

We are saying that it does not effect all Tremors or SD. I hope they find the cause and fix it.

Sounds a little like death wobble???? If your truck is squatting at all, and you already don't have enough positive castor from the factory alignment....."Death Wobble"!! Google it...Common among all HD Trucks with solid front axles.

Last edited:
It comes from the back of the truck. Just today I was towing a 10 foot V-nose single axle. Only thing in it was quad. Which was up front. So it was super light. Truck didn't even move when put on hitch. Get on highway At 65 mph truck starts to shake. It will continue to shake down into the 50s. Then it will go away and come back at 65. Take the trailer off it's gone. Something with 12ft landscape trailer. Empty or loaded

does the trailer do this with other trucks. How can you rule out the trailer having an issue????

I have quite a few trailers that I have pulled with my Tremor and all were butter going down the hwy. No issues and still impressed with the 1050 torque, makes me smile

I tow the V-nose regularly with my 2000 excursion. No issues smooth through all the mph ranges

I tow the V-nose regularly with my 2000 excursion. No issues smooth through all the mph ranges
Not sure, then

do you change tire pressure when towing?

I run 60 with no trailer, when I add the trailer I bump up the rears to 75/80 psi cold.

You would think with no trailer you would still have the trouble,

can't wait to hear how this story ends.

I towed my 7k lb. Boat over the Rockies to Powell and back and it has a vibration in different gears and speeds. It comes and goes. I am definitely thinking driveline, either the drive shaft/u joints or output shaft on the tranny. It's worse above 70 and feels like a tire severely out of balance. I did a rotation to rule that out and it still does it. I felt it today with no trailer, the truck needs to be under a load to reproduce it.

I had the truck tires road force balanced. The dealer is getting a handful of trucks reporting the same problem with F250 and F350. They said more F250s. Thinking it's some drive angle problem. Would love to know what are the differences between the trucks. He mentioned some guys are dropping the carrier bearing. But the tremor has 1 piece driveshaft. So they have no clue as of now.

Truck has 3000 miles on. Hooked up some trailer this past week and truck has bad vibration only when towing. Called and talk to dealer. He said they were getting a bunch of trucks in. Owners were all saying the same thing. There are no tech service bulletins on it. Ford has no answers as of now. Is anyone having or seeing anything like this?
I was thinking about this as I drove 500 miles with the trailer today. First, no problems pulling at speed through passes in Montana.

Your trailer seems to be relatively short from ball to axel.I have seen a few on the road that are really out of control at speed due to this length. I assume you adjusted the hitch to level the trailer from your previous vehicle.
Secondly, maybe rent a slightly larger trailer to see how it handles, either a tandem or longer to axel? In Utah they can be rented for around $50 a day.
Good luck.

I was thinking about this as I drove 500 miles with the trailer today. First, no problems pulling at speed through passes in Montana.

Your trailer seems to be relatively short from ball to axel.I have seen a few on the road that are really out of control at speed due to this length. I assume you adjusted the hitch to level the trailer from your previous vehicle.
Secondly, maybe rent a slightly larger trailer to see how it handles, either a tandem or longer to axel? In Utah they can be rented for around $50 a day.
Good luck.
It also does it with my 12 ft double axle landscape trailer. With the stump grinder on it it's close to 7000# truck does it with two different trailers. Which I also tow with my excursion. No shake with the ex.

It also does it with my 12 ft double axle landscape trailer. With the stump grinder on it it's close to 7000# truck does it with two different trailers. Which I also tow with my excursion. No shake with the ex.
Thanks for the explanation

Seen some guys in other threads mention that their rear axle is shifted to one side quite a bit. Have you noticed that at all? I'd be asking them to do an alignment on it as well.

a month later....any update OP @Treedude ?

Not really. I put air bags on the rear of the truck. Recommended from the dealership. I was planning on it anyway. It took some of it away but not all. Not sure what to think. The only thing air bags do is keep it from squatting. The pinion angle changes slightly when it squats. The smaller the trailer the worse the vibration. The smaller V nose trailer is actually unbearable to drive with. It's a 2018 outlook trailer. With tire balanced. I towed my 35ft. Camper down to Maryland a few weeks ago. Wasn't to noticable. But then again I was only doing 65 tops. I talked the the dealer again and they still have trucks coming in with it. They have no answers .

Man the problems with these trucks have me really second guessing.

Back