Vibrating noise while the heater is running

pkrexer

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 6.7L Tremor
I noticed today when I got out of my truck that there was a pulsating / vibration noise coming from the engine bay. It goes away soon as I turn the heater / climate control off.

Its pretty noticable outside of the truck. I Iried to capture it on video. Its pretty faint, but can be heard.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20210222_234046379~3.mp4
    17.3 MB
I noticed today when I got out of my truck that there was a pulsating / vibration noise coming from the engine bay. It goes away soon as I turn the heater / climate control off.

Its pretty noticable outside of the truck. I Iried to capture it on video. Its pretty faint, but can be heard.

Any ideas?
I have this same issue. I can also hear it faintly inside the cab usually only when stopped at a light. Did you get this fixed or know what the problem is?

I have this same issue. I can also hear it faintly inside the cab usually only when stopped at a light. Did you get this fixed or know what the problem is?
Unfortunately I've never had it checked out. Doesn't seem to affect anything, so I'm just living with it for now.

Yes! I have this noise. I spent the last week having my wife and kids be as silent as possible every time I came to a stop. Glad it’s not just me. Only with heat on. I tried listening under the hood but couldn’t pinpoint it yet. At first I thought it was a diesel idling nearby. Then I realized it was coming from my truck. (7.3). If I track it down I’ll post it here ASAP.

Yes! I have this noise. I spent the last week having my wife and kids be as silent as possible every time I came to a stop. Glad it’s not just me. Only with heat on. I tried listening under the hood but couldn’t pinpoint it yet. At first I thought it was a diesel idling nearby. Then I realized it was coming from my truck. (7.3). If I track it down I’ll post it here ASAP.
Awesome! Thank u very much! I will do the same!

I'm taking a totally uneducated stab in the dark here. I was just reading a post about someone needing to replace their fan clutch. Possibly related?

I listened to the video and through my craptastic speakers it kind of sounds like a bearings on its way out.

I'm taking a totally uneducated stab in the dark here. I was just reading a post about someone needing to replace their fan clutch. Possibly related?

I listened to the video and through my craptastic speakers it kind of sounds like a bearings on its way out.
That would be great, two birds with one stone would be awesome.

Good thought! In my case it is a separate noise. I have the fan clutch squeal and this one unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: ccw
Us 6.7 folks probably have this and will never know... ;)
Yea, my 2021 6.7 has just started making this kind of noise, only when cold. Now that it is quite cold here (-10f) I have heard it when starting. It seems to go away after a while (presumably once the fan clutch bearings warm up), but it is definitely there when cold. Gotta bring it in for its 10,000 mile checkup (only oil change I will let the dealership do is the big checkup times) and will mention it to them, see if they check it out.

Heard the noise again tonight. (Not the fan clutch squeal). This time I pulled in the driveway. With the truck still in drive, I heard the noise. If I brought the RPM up to 800-1000 with brake applied, the noise became a bit easier to hear for the first few revs. Then I couldn’t hear it anymore. Wondering if the AC compressor is cycling on since it is used to Defog the windshield. It’s not the blower. I changed blower speeds and it didn’t change the sound in any way. Also tried hitting recirculate button and that didn’t change the noise. Slowly ruling things out.

Heard the noise again tonight. (Not the fan clutch squeal). This time I pulled in the driveway. With the truck still in drive, I heard the noise. If I brought the RPM up to 800-1000 with brake applied, the noise became a bit easier to hear for the first few revs. Then I couldn’t hear it anymore. Wondering if the AC compressor is cycling on since it is used to Defog the windshield. It’s not the blower. I changed blower speeds and it didn’t change the sound in any way. Also tried hitting recirculate button and that didn’t change the noise. Slowly ruling things out.
Thanks for the additional info. I should be getting my fan clutch replaced this week, so we can hopefully rule that out as a potential cause soon.

It seems like the AC compressor is making the noise. I usually keep the system on auto which will run the AC compressor periodically. Today I had the heat on the floor and AC switch off. No sound. Hit the AC button and heard the noise. Turned it off and went off immediately. I’ll pop the hood when it’s warmer than 5 degrees out and listen directly at the compressor.

Im getting a new fan clutch installed tomorrow, for a seperate issue (the cold start squeal). I doubt itll fix this issue but ill let you know either way.

I have been chasing this noise, in addition to other issues, since new. I have had a rattle, whine, and pulsating noise in my passenger side floorboard. Dealer just replaced the tranny pump and I still have the pulsating noise. While stopped yesterday I tried to get a recording and turned my heat off to better hear it. I realized that the noise stopped. I continued turning the heat off and on and realized the noise has to be related to heating system.

I have been chasing this noise, in addition to other issues, since new. I have had a rattle, whine, and pulsating noise in my passenger side floorboard. Dealer just replaced the tranny pump and I still have the pulsating noise. While stopped yesterday I tried to get a recording and turned my heat off to better hear it. I realized that the noise stopped. I continued turning the heat off and on and realized the noise has to be related to heating system.
It’s your AC compressor. I always use the auto setting and even at 15 degrees outside, the compressor still cycles. If I manually set the heat and turn off the AC switch, it stops. I popped the hood and watched AC clutch engage and disengage with the noise.

Thanks. I will keep the AC compressor in mind. I am going to talk to Ford (not the dealer) this week. I am at the end of my rope with this thing. I have had a hard start issue since Nov 21. Today alone, I have had 3 out of 7 hard starts today. I captured 2 on video. Once it starts, it acts like it wants to quit and stumbles around.

Back