Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
Here are some pictures of my installation of the Viair Dual Platinum 485C Onboard Air System - 200psi, 3.82cfm with 2.5 gallon tank. The compressors are located behind the drivers side of the transfer case, and the entire bracket is removable with two bolts if needed. I also added safety chains to the mounting bracket in case the red Loctite fails and it comes loose. I didn't want to risk this heavy chunk of steel and compressors falling out on the highway and hurting someone. The 2.5 gallon tank is tucked up close to the floor, outboard of the frame under the rear passenger door, above the fold down running board. The regulator, gauge, manifold and air chuck are in the bed, mounted to the BuiltRight Industries panel.

Overall, I am quite pleased with both the function of the Viair System, and my mounting system.

Ed

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Looks good!

Pretty cool set up.

Used it tonight to run the impact wrench to change a neighbor's flat tire and inflate his low spare. (y)

Ed
Very cool system; I think I need one. How far out does it extend in the truck bed. Hard to tell but doesn’t seem more than 4-5 inches? Do you mind me asking what that system cost?

Very cool system; I think I need one. How far out does it extend in the truck bed. Hard to tell but doesn’t seem more than 4-5 inches? Do you mind me asking what that system cost?

You can find them on Amazon for right at $800, but this is their highest output version. There are really good, cheaper options from them as well that fit a variety of needs. https://www.viaircorp.com/oba

It only sticks out from the actual bedside about 2 1/2".

9.jpg
10.jpg

You can find them on Amazon for right at $800, but this is their highest output version. There are really good, cheaper options from them as well that fit a variety of needs. https://www.viaircorp.com/oba

It only sticks out from the actual bedside about 2 1/2".

View attachment 608View attachment 609
[/Ed, thanks for info and pictures. I’ve done some internet reading and seeing a lot of mixed reviews. I’d want to use this system for mostly work with pneumatic air nailers and impact wrench in addition to occasional tire air. Maybe the complaints came from those that didn’t purchase the appropriate system so wanted to check. You indicated you ran an impact wrench to change lug nuts on tire. Is this really a unit to handle a lot of this kind of work? Assume you need at least the Dual 444 OBA system? Do you recommend the 33% or 100% cycle? Thanks for helping out the newbie.

I have used mine to reinflate 20.8R46 tractor tires, run impacts on 6 lug axles, and fill 33" and less car tires with no issues or waiting.

I have a commercial grade compressor in the Garaj Mahal that I compare this to, and it is nowhere near a 220v 100 gallon 10hp compressor. It will however handle everything you want to do in the field, but not as fast. It all matters on how much air you use. If you have a big work weekend or know you have a big job in front of you, I would almost suggest getting a 10 gallon auxiliary tank to plumb in-line before your nailer / impact if you expect more than changing one tire. I think 100% duty cycle is a much better idea than anything less if you are doing anything close to "commercial use" or you have more than the once a year flat tire fix situation.

It's hard to predict your needs, but I have found over the years that I have never been sad about having more air than I need, but have wasted a lot of time and frustration when I didn't. Go as big as you can afford is my motto.

Ed

I have used mine to reinflate 20.8R46 tractor tires, run impacts on 6 lug axles, and fill 33" and less car tires with no issues or waiting.

I have a commercial grade compressor in the Garaj Mahal that I compare this to, and it is nowhere near a 220v 100 gallon 10hp compressor. It will however handle everything you want to do in the field, but not as fast. It all matters on how much air you use. If you have a big work weekend or know you have a big job in front of you, I would almost suggest getting a 10 gallon auxiliary tank to plumb in-line before your nailer / impact if you expect more than changing one tire. I think 100% duty cycle is a much better idea than anything less if you are doing anything close to "commercial use" or you have more than the once a year flat tire fix situation.

It's hard to predict your needs, but I have found over the years that I have never been sad about having more air than I need, but have wasted a lot of time and frustration when I didn't. Go as big as you can afford is my motto.

Ed
Thanks. I’ll probably go with the same unit you got. Go big or go home.

That's an awesome setup @Rock Taxi - Thanks for taking the time to post all of the photos. I definitely plan on adding an on board air system. There have been so many times I've been out camping or on the road where I could have used something like that.

Is it possible to run a compressor plugged into the power outlet inside truck? Does it depend on the alternator?

Is it possible to run a compressor plugged into the power outlet inside truck? Does it depend on the alternator?
Not at all. The 110v outlets in the truck have a max current of 3.6 amperes. Even those small pancake compressors would draw well over 10 amperes. The outlets in the truck are meant for charging small electronics like laptops and radios

I also added safety chains to the mounting bracket in case the red Loctite fails and it comes loose. I didn't want to risk this heavy chunk of steel and compressors falling out on the highway and hurting someone.

You have no idea how many cool points you have just been awarded.
This mentality is opposite of what the vast majority seem to do.

I've never worked the actual accident scenes, but I've had to deal with the photos.... pictures of the injuries..... fatalities...."freak" accidents caused by carelessness, ignorance and/or laziness.... the stories I could tell that you don't want to hear.

Proper load control has become a thing for me now.

Seriously, thanks for caring enough.

Super clean install, by the way!

Thanks HoosierDaddy! For the price of 8 welds, 4 links of chain and two threaded quick links, I feel very confident that I have done a good job of protecting others. It was quick and easy to do and could prevent a lifetime of regret.

Ed

Here are some pictures of my installation of the Viair Dual Platinum 485C Onboard Air System - 200psi, 3.82cfm with 2.5 gallon tank. The compressors are located behind the drivers side of the transfer case, and the entire bracket is removable with two bolts if needed. I also added safety chains to the mounting bracket in case the red Loctite fails and it comes loose. I didn't want to risk this heavy chunk of steel and compressors falling out on the highway and hurting someone. The 2.5 gallon tank is tucked up close to the floor, outboard of the frame under the rear passenger door, above the fold down running board. The regulator, gauge, manifold and air chuck are in the bed, mounted to the BuiltRight Industries panel.

Overall, I am quite pleased with both the function of the Viair System, and my mounting system.

Ed

View attachment 592View attachment 593View attachment 594View attachment 595View attachment 596View attachment 597View attachment 598View attachment 599
Where did you place the black box on/off switch? Inside the cab, I assume? Got a picture? Thanks.

I ordered my Viair setup today. I also got the 485C except it’s the black stealth compressors. Thanks for the idea Ed. Now I need your exact measurements for brackets lol. Once I get a fifth wheel toy hauler, I’ll be ready for an air bag setup. Any suggestions on airbag setups for suspension and or air fifth wheel hitch?

Back