Use both 4 pole flat and 7 pin plugs at the same time

Jman1428

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 XLT 7.3 Tremor
can I use the 4 pole plug for my in-bed camper running/brake lights and use the 7 pin for the trailer(with trailer brakes) at the same time? I will not be able to test it out as the trailer is 2 hours away and its a new to me in-bed camper.

PapaRaptor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Blue Truck
Current Ride #2
Bigger Blue Truck
Wow thats a question.

I would think yes because its only a 4 prong ( I wish it was a 5 ) How does it know how much current goes to the trailer?? Some have more lights than others. Only thing is to make sure it does not draw more amps than the fuse. If they are LED lights even better.

Jakebrake

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 f250 tremor
Okay, I have to ask. What in God's name are you doing that you need to use both?

OP
Jman1428

Jman1428

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 XLT 7.3 Tremor
Okay, I have to ask. What in God's name are you doing that you need to use both?
I'm taking my "over the cab" truck camper (which covers my tail lights on the truck) and my 28' enclosed trailer to spend a few nights at the sand dunes to ride quads, dirt bike and a side by side. Do I legally need camper lights while towing a trailer??

I did find out last night that both the plug lid covers do not open at the same time. Had to grind down the 4 pole plug to make it flexible enough to push the bottom lid down enough to get the 7 pin in.

camper.JPGmoses 4-4-20.JPEG

OP
Jman1428

Jman1428

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 XLT 7.3 Tremor
Probably not but it depends on the local LE,
How does the function work with both plugged in? Does is flash properly and no blown fuses?
I'll find out thursday, trailer is at my other property. But I just found a 7-pin splitter (Y adapter) on Amazon, too bad it won't arrive before our trip.

PapaRaptor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Blue Truck
Current Ride #2
Bigger Blue Truck
I'll find out thursday, trailer is at my other property. But I just found a 7-pin splitter (Y adapter) on Amazon, too bad it won't arrive before our trip.
good luck with it. have a safe trip

OP
Jman1428

Jman1428

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 XLT 7.3 Tremor
Update:

Using both plugs on the truck worked fine, trailer brakes operated normally.
The Y-adapter worked fine, trailer brakes operated normally.