Urg - New truck - new problems!

Tremor16865

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Ford F250 Lariat Tremor 7.3 Crew Cab
Hey all - thought I got lucky and found a new 2022 Ford F-250 CC Lariat Tremor with the 7.3L about 2.5 hours away (Pittsburgh Wexford Shults Ford) that someone previously ordered and the financing fell through earlier this week. Drove up yesterday and picked it up - brand new, 7 miles and looks great. They wouldn't honor X-Plan (only on new orders :rolleyes: ) but did knock off about 2% which is almost half of X-plan. Smooth purchase process at the dealer - drove away in 30 minutes.

Drove the 2.5 hours back home with no issues - pulled in the driveway and was met by my two excited boys. They checked it out for about 5 minutes and wanted to go for a ride - before we got in the truck I noticed a small (softball size) coolant puddle under the trucks passenger's side front corner on the payment. I am sick to say the least! I crawled under hoping to find a coolant hose with a missing clip, split coolant hose, or something similar. Unfortunately, I am 99% the leak is coming from the passenger's side of the radiator at the seam. This is my first Ford since a 1992 Mustang GT back in the day - things are not starting out good at all.

I called the salesmen who committed to making it right Monday (I get it - it is Christmas), by either having it taken care of at a local dealership (there is a Ford shop 7 miles away) or even sending a flatbed from their dealership if needed. I guess it could be worse but this is pretty bad. I called Ford and put a case in with them as well - I am not sure what to think at this point. I plan on asking for an extended warranty on Ford. In this day and age of vehicle reliability this isn't very comforting.

Anyone hear of radiator issues like this?

Attachments

• 20211223_154942.jpg
    20211223_154942.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 20211223_160111.jpg
    20211223_160111.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 168
  • 20211223_160411.jpg
    20211223_160411.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20211224_102035.jpg
    20211224_102035.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 165
That sucks!! Hope they make it right for you.

infant mortality...

Shit is going to break immediately or last a long time IME.

You simply fell into the first category...

I personally wouldnt let it bother me as long as its a one off.

We bought a 2018 Chevy Cruze Diesel and with like 120 miles on it the CEL came on for emissions so back to the dealer it went. NOX sensor was bad from the factory. Replaced promptly and the car was great after that.

Congrats on the truck. That is awesome that they gave you anything off. Most are marking those way up, which I find crazy. Hopefully they make it right quickly and you don't run into any more issues. Shit does break, doesn't mean the whole truck is shit.

Hey all - thought I got lucky and found a new 2022 Ford F-250 CC Lariat Tremor with the 7.3L about 2.5 hours away (Pittsburgh Wexford Shults Ford) that someone previously ordered and the financing fell through earlier this week. Drove up yesterday and picked it up - brand new, 7 miles and looks great. They wouldn't honor X-Plan (only on new orders :rolleyes: ) but did knock off about 2% which is almost half of X-plan. Smooth purchase process at the dealer - drove away in 30 minutes.

Drove the 2.5 hours back home with no issues - pulled in the driveway and was met by my two excited boys. They checked it out for about 5 minutes and wanted to go for a ride - before we got in the truck I noticed a small (softball size) coolant puddle under the trucks passenger's side front corner on the payment. I am sick to say the least! I crawled under hoping to find a coolant hose with a missing clip, split coolant hose, or something similar. Unfortunately, I am 99% the leak is coming from the passenger's side of the radiator at the seam. This is my first Ford since a 1992 Mustang GT back in the day - things are not starting out good at all.

I called the salesmen who committed to making it right Monday (I get it - it is Christmas), by either having it taken care of at a local dealership (there is a Ford shop 7 miles away) or even sending a flatbed from their dealership if needed. I guess it could be worse but this is pretty bad. I called Ford and put a case in with them as well - I am not sure what to think at this point. I plan on asking for an extended warranty on Ford. In this day and age of vehicle reliability this isn't very comforting.

Anyone hear of radiator issues like this?
@Tremor16865 have you observed this area while the truck is running? Everyone has their own comfort level, but I would want to let the truck idle and watch that area with the stat closed and open. Liquid can take weird paths especially if you are driving at speed w/airflow as a factor. I have had pinhole leaks in rad hoses that were impossible to diagnose (for me at least) until I saw the coolant. With the engine off it went away once the pressure dissipated. It could be a rad seam/weld/etc but I would expect it to not seal back up, usually once those are breached they stay that way. You would continue to lose coolant to a point, but you would have more than the picture indicated.

The end result may be the same, wait for dealer intervention, but their options may change if you can pinpoint the source first.

Good luck!

Congrats on the truck and good price!

Its a minor fix, no worries they will get it.

Ah man, that sucks to see. I have seen a few similar issues reported on the forum but not many. Hopefully you'll get this fixed and that will be the last of your issues. Please let us know what the cause was.

Last edited:
@Tremor16865 have you observed this area while the truck is running? Everyone has their own comfort level, but I would want to let the truck idle and watch that area with the stat closed and open. Liquid can take weird paths especially if you are driving at speed w/airflow as a factor. I have had pinhole leaks in rad hoses that were impossible to diagnose (for me at least) until I saw the coolant. With the engine off it went away once the pressure dissipated. It could be a rad seam/weld/etc but I would expect it to not seal back up, usually once those are breached they stay that way. You would continue to lose coolant to a point, but you would have more than the picture indicated.

The end result may be the same, wait for dealer intervention, but their options may change if you can pinpoint the source first.

Good luck!
Yeah - I'm an engineer and industrial mechanic by profession so I did some looking :). I wiped down where the coolant was under and around the engine bay including blew out or dying all the coolant with compressed air and then crawled under and over it running... it isn't coming from the hose connections on that side that I can see. I can see the coolant slowly appear from where the radiator meets the fan shroud on the lower passenger side. Unfortunately, without disassembling the plastic around the radiator and grill I can't tell where it's originating. If it wasn't new and under warranty, I would start taking the plastic off but don't want to cause any finger pointing so I will let it be.

That sucks. Crappy Christmas present for sure. At least it will get fixed and I’m sure will be great after it’s fixed

I’m sure that they will make it right. I’m surprised that these things don’t happen more often. There are a lot of parts in these trucks and until recently they were all just sitting in bins at KTP.
That being said, the longer I have my truck the more I find the quality to be just average.

Reactions: ccw
Yeah - I'm an engineer and industrial mechanic by profession so I did some looking :). I wiped down where the coolant was under and around the engine bay including blew out or dying all the coolant with compressed air and then crawled under and over it running... it isn't coming from the hose connections on that side that I can see. I can see the coolant slowly appear from where the radiator meets the fan shroud on the lower passenger side. Unfortunately, without disassembling the plastic around the radiator and grill I can't tell where it's originating. If it wasn't new and under warranty, I would start taking the plastic off but don't want to cause any finger pointing so I will let it be.
Cool! Sounds like you have done your due diligence! That was the engineer in me thinking out loud as well... Just trying to eliminate anything obvious.

Congrats, should be a quick fix.

Merry Christmas and big congrats on the truck find and price point. You did well and with this loose end tied up/fixed, you’ll be right back to Tremor Heaven!!

Congrats and definitely sucks but can assure you long term ownership will far outweigh the initial issue. My daughter drives my F350 all the damn time she won’t get out of it😳. She absolutely loves this thing that she would rather have me sell my bad ass cars and keep the Tremor😬. And I have a whole collection of bad ass cars which even I am blown away she would rather have the truck over the Mustangs and Challenger.
Merry Christmas and be at peace😎
2C980E6D-0E6B-4373-957A-F9E354A41C9B.jpeg
63047041-AACE-4135-95A4-A7EA5F1EB6C3.jpeg
B8B135DF-C99D-4559-871B-3D8DBFF53FA1.jpeg

Got the truck back today - this is a classic and I almost didn't post it but I figured that perhaps it nay help someone (either with a similar situation or to get a good laugh).

The leak is apparently the cleaner they use in the detail and body shop on the fender wells and wheels...which happens to be nearly identical to the color of the antifreeze.

They saw the fluid but couldn't figure were it was coming from and the pressure test was perfect and no antifreeze loss. After lots of discussion it appears the cleaner worked its way into a spot near the radiator shroud where it sat for the 2 hr drive to my house then worked its way out. They did finish the detail just as a picked it up.

I didn't believe it at first either but after looking at the coolant level (no change) and the cleaner I see no other logic explanation. I also ran the truck for 2 hours in the driveway the day when the picked it up and could no longer find any "antifreeze". Qudos to the dealer (Shults Ford Pittsburgh) for picking it up 2 hrs away and checking it over for almost an entire day until then had an answer for me.

I will still keep an eye on it as I'm 90% convinced but hopefully this is all it was - the dealer will be moving to a different colored cleaner :)

Attachments

• IMG_4833.jpg
    IMG_4833.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4834.jpg
    IMG_4834.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 20
Don't fret, my OCD would have me the same way and it would be a total let down to the thrill of having a brand-new ride. At this point, thank the Tremor Gods that it was the cleaning fluid and try to forget your initial angst and let down of the coolant issue. I know it is tough, it would be for me too, but just try and focus on all the absolutely cool things you can do with and to your Tremor! Happy New Year!

Back