Upsize the 36 gal tank.

OldCowboy

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Hi Guys (and Gals if there are some here). I'm in the Tremor forum but it looks like I have to order the FX4 instead because of Ford dropping the Tremor package on XLT's. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I've ordered the FX4 and will add a 2" lift (or level), and the 35's to get close to what the Tremor had. But I'm learning that it isn't that simple. Seems there is a spare tire issue. I've heard that with the 35's you can't put the spare under the bed where it goes. I've also heard that the lifted truck puts the spare in contact with the driveline. Can someone explain that to me? What is the solution?

I'd also like to add a gas tank. 36 Gal seems small for a truck that will range from 9 to 15 MPG. There's an S&B 60 Gal tank replacement. Anybody done it?

35” tires fit in the spare location. 37” tires do not.

There’s a couple of lengthy threads on gas tank options. SFAIK nobody here has a full replacement for the gasser but I could be misremembering. Search for S&B.

The 36 gallon tank is indeed extremely insufficient on the 7.3. My gauges (which cannot themselves be entirely trusted) claimed I used 1/8th of the tank hauling a 600 gallon water trailer 15 miles over a small mountain (1500’ elevation gain/drop) this weekend.

Last edited:
Hi Guys (and Gals if there are some here). I'm in the Tremor forum but it looks like I have to order the FX4 instead because of Ford dropping the Tremor package on XLT's. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I've ordered the FX4 and will add a 2" lift (or level), and the 35's to get close to what the Tremor had. But I'm learning that it isn't that simple. Seems there is a spare tire issue. I've heard that with the 35's you can't put the spare under the bed where it goes. I've also heard that the lifted truck puts the spare in contact with the driveline. Can someone explain that to me? What is the solution?

I'd also like to add a gas tank. 36 Gal seems small for a truck that will range from 9 to 15 MPG. There's an S&B 60 Gal tank replacement. Anybody done it?
Do you have a 6.7 powerstroke on order? That larger tank is not for the gasoline trucks.

I ordered the 7.3. The build spec is confusing, but I either have a 34 Gal tank or a 36. There is a 48Gal but it's for the 8 foot bed.
The only thing potentially happening for the 7.3 for a larger tank is the TransferFlow tank. They had a survey gathering interest awhile back and are 'supposedly' thinking about it.

This was enough to sway me to change my order's engine option to the diesel.

I ordered the 7.3. The build spec is confusing, but I either have a 34 Gal tank or a 36. There is a 48Gal but it's for the 8 foot bed.
You have a 34 gallon tank. :)

Here’s the thread @BroncoHooves was talking about for the Transfer Flow tank. They did confirm they are working on it, but that means they had determined there was enough interest to start designing it. We don’t know any details about size, and cost would likely be a couple of thousand dollars. Also quite a ways out (easily months, quite likely over a year), and no guarantee it actually makes it to market.

Why can't I use the larger tank for Gas? The pump and float are taken from the old tank. It's plastic. What's the issue?

I've been watching the TransferFlow adds and they say they have tanks for Gas or Diesel.

Why can't I use the larger tank for Gas? The pump and float are taken from the old tank. It's plastic. What's the issue?
You will have check engine lights/limp mode because a larger gasoline tank has more evaporative emissions it has to deal with, requiring a larger charcoal canister.

I've been watching the TransferFlow adds and they say they have tanks for Gas or Diesel.
They do have a variety of gas tanks, but no replacement gas tanks for the 2020+ Super Duty specifically (possibly earlier, too). They also sell in-bed transfer tanks and such, so perhaps the ads were referring to those, or replacement gas tanks for other makes/models of trucks.

I did Titan fuel tanj -- 55 gallons and I love it

Why not order a Lariat?

Well it is a higher price tag, but more than that, I don't like leather seats. They're great for the first few years, but I put 20 years on my vehicles and the leather starts to smell like *** after a while.
Gotcha…..no need to pay for something you don’t like.

Looks like a transfer tank, or in bed tank, is my only option.
The larger gas tank is the only reason I even considered the diesel but still couldn't justify it just for the larger tank. I ordered the 7.3 and just keep praying they come out with a bigger tank. The transfer tank only makes it so you can stop anywhere to fill up but I want to eliminate the stopping another. Especially when the wife and kid fall asleep on a road trip, best time to hammer down and go.

The only thing potentially happening for the 7.3 for a larger tank is the TransferFlow tank. They had a survey gathering interest awhile back and are 'supposedly' thinking about it.

According to TransferFlow rep (direct email) the larger gas tank is in the design stage and will be several months before production. Also no commitment yet on actual tank size, could be between 45 and 60 gals.

Back