Upper dash buttons rearranged

texmudder

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Tremor 6.7L Lariat
I got this idea from another forum when the new body styles came out and did this to my 17. Just finished doing this to my 21 Tremor. I hadn’t seen it brought up on this forum so I thought I would share.

I never really liked the order these buttons were in. Of all these buttons I use the camera one the most and of course in its stock location it is the furthest from the driver. The second most often button I use is the exhaust brake. So I moved them to be more convenient for me to the best I could. Ideally I might but some extra buttons and take them apart to put the camera no brake on one set but I’ll look into that later.

If interested in doing this there are a ton of videos on YouTube on how to take the center bezel off. It’s only 4 screws. There is plenty of slack in the wires to put them in any order you want. The buttons themselves are keyed for their slots with very small plastics. A little trimming and they can be put in any slot.

Here is a picture of the final outcome.

DA9761E2-B3C0-4E82-8BE3-FA6689A2659E.jpeg

Had to plug in the back of the 12v/110v Outlets since the factory neglected to. While in there I did this swap. Less than 100 miles on truck, first time I went to use the camera I turned on hill descent! Not sure how muscle memory happened that fast... All good now though..

Thanks for posting this.

As an update I was able to get a spare button to play with. The buttons actually just pull right off the modules. I was also able to pull the pins on the connectors. Now if I could find a wiring diagram I could swap the exhaust brake and the lane keeping buttons.

I think this is the camera switch. Note, it's a dual switch and they're only showing the wiring for the camera switch in this diagram, also this is for vehicle's equipped with 360 cameras...

1611373219974.png

Vehicle's w/o 360 cameras, looks like the same wiring for the switch.

1611373419680.png

Here's the exhaust brake info:

1611373651550.png

Let me know if you need any further info. I'm interested in doing this also...

Looks like exhaust brake is pin 1&4. Can you post the diagram for the lane keeping system as those are the two buttons I would swap? Should be pins 4&5 but need to make sure they are just a switch and nothing more inside.

Came across this during my search so I figured what the heck, I'd post it anyway:

1611377275770.png

Took some doing to find this one!

1611378518016.png

I think that's all of them then?

In an effort to make it the way I wanted I was able to combine the exhaust brake and camera button on one bank which is the closest set to the driver. Below are some tips and pictures.

Remove the dash using this video.
. You can stop at 3:43 as that is as far as you need to go.

To take the switches out of the panel just squeeze the tabs on the side and pull them out the front. Below are the wiring diagrams for the two switches I used showing both the pin position and the colors. I swapped the yellow traction control wire with the white/green camera wire and then swapped the buttons.

To get the pins out of the connectors there is a red safety clip that you just pry off the holder in the rear and slide it toward the front. I used a wire terminal tool to release the wires(pictured below). I got it off Amazon years ago. In that kit one of the tools is a flat small bar with an angled head. You slide that in above the pin with the angled part facing up which will put it under the release that you will feel. Once under that you can pull the pin out the back with ease.

To get the buttons off the module, on the rear you will see two rectangular holes under the connector. Put a small screwdriver in there and pick up the plastic catch. With that picked up just tug on the front and the button will pop off.

Since there is not a lot of slack between the wrapped wires I took a razor blade and just cut a slit up the wrap and pulled the single wire I need a bit out of it.

Once you swap the terminals test it and then put it all back together.

DF894F28-E549-4035-A5D4-EF9D99605832.jpeg
03C4F011-F6B3-4CA9-85BD-AFBFEDD9033F.jpeg

switches wired back up
A93F14E1-67E5-43B2-80FE-D3708A59F8EB.jpeg

picture of safety clip
1FAE6472-1DF8-4E7A-BEC1-3AD423F23503.jpeg

terminal tool
05BE32BA-0AB7-4024-B40E-6989097E2593.jpeg

terminal tool from side
6A95DA10-5852-4340-AFDE-8DEDEC70F659.jpeg

final product
692F56B4-80F3-49B0-B867-7C6417C3ECE2.jpeg

button from side
0E270C4D-9C8B-42AC-A173-6AB045E4C716.jpeg

button showing long clip
022CD5BA-A840-487A-B181-61BA25D6A77A.jpeg

rear of switch module
E7ADF0B4-A505-4BE9-9B10-1C188AAC0B91.jpeg

terminal tool kit
4E1218F6-C9C7-4B57-9191-57E9A0E083CF.jpeg

Thanks for the initial write-up and letting us all know it was even possible. I rearranged the buttons more to my liking today when I had the bezel off to install the Navik camera in-motion module. Just a little bit of trimming with my pocket knife and buttons are back in how I want them. I didn't change any of the sets, too much work for today, but know have:

Button set 1 - lane alert on/off and cameras
Button set 2 - traction control on/off
Button set 3 - hazards and slow-crawl control (basically slow speed cruise control)

Erik

I definitely want to move my camera button closer, I'm almost throwing my back out reaching for it. Getting out of my driveway is a huge challenge with this huge truck. Normally it wouldn't be, but due to very high ice walls I have from plowing, it has narrowed the driveway down to about 8' wide which makes a normal backup and turn, go forward and turn to get out into a 24-point inch-by-inch turnabout... literally taking 5 minutes to get out of my driveway vs 15 seconds that it would be in the Summer. It's annoying to have to hit the camera button each time I put it in drive, but the cameras are a great feature now.

Yeah I wish I could swap the camera button all the way to the left most switch as that is the one I use most, but due to the design of the buttons, number 2 is the closest I can get it. I have no idea why they put them where they did in stock fashion, but someone making that dash didnt think that was an important button to have it so far away. This is one of my favorite mods that I use daily. I am glad others have benefited from it as well.

Yeah I wish I could swap the camera button all the way to the left most switch as that is the one I use most, but due to the design of the buttons, number 2 is the closest I can get it. I have no idea why they put them where they did in stock fashion, but someone making that dash didnt think that was an important button to have it so far away. This is one of my favorite mods that I use daily. I am glad others have benefited from it as well.
Do you have one button that is a completely different shape? All three slots on mine needed a little trimming of the openings in the bezel, but what was once button set 1, 2, 3 is now 3, 1, 2

Yes the trimming works and you can swap all the sets. I was talking about the individual buttons that you can pop off. They are a very distinct left and right just due to one side being flat and one side with a rounded edge. The final configuration that I posted, is as close as that camera button will ever be.

Yes the trimming works and you can swap all the sets. I was talking about the individual buttons that you can pop off. They are a very distinct left and right just due to one side being flat and one side with a rounded edge. The final configuration that I posted, is as close as that camera button will ever be.
Got it, you are looking at them as 6 buttons. I just left them as the 3.

Attachments

• 16147168253515914707772636670030.jpg
    16147168253515914707772636670030.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 138
Thanks for the initial write-up and letting us all know it was even possible. I rearranged the buttons more to my liking today when I had the bezel off to install the Navik camera in-motion module. Just a little bit of trimming with my pocket knife and buttons are back in how I want them. I didn't change any of the sets, too much work for today, but know have:

Button set 1 - lane alert on/off and cameras
Button set 2 - traction control on/off
Button set 3 - hazards and slow-crawl control (basically slow speed cruise control)

Erik
How does the camera in-motion module work? Seamless to the user? Any drawbacks? Faults?

How does the camera in-motion module work? Seamless to the user? Any drawbacks? Faults?
Here are some snips from my review on FTE:

I added the Navik unit to my 20 after work yesterday. Unit was $350 and didn't require any Forscan adjustments on my 2020 F350. I now have rear side view with turn signals and access to front and rear cameras in motion. From what I've read, there is no adjustment that can be made in Forscan without a module. The Nav-TV one requires Forscan adjustments along with being more expensive.

bought bought it direct from Navik:

https://naviks.com/i-24075930-2017-2...tegory:1207160

You have to turn the front camera on, but if you change the setting it will keep that setting for that ignition round. I haven't tried to see what would happen if front camera was on, shift into and then out of reverse. Will try to remember next trip out.

So far I like it. The turn signal response on the display is quick. There is a little delay when turning on the front or rear cameras. It also enables data entry for the GPS while moving. For the ease of install and setup, I am happy with it

just to test it, I used the navigation on my way home today, granted via android auto, and it worked just fine. Use the signal, map changed to camera view and back to map when signal off.

ok, so here is what I tested:
truck parked in carport, start up and wait for screen to initiate
Press camera button once to turn on front camera, still in park. Turn on signal, screen changes to side view, signal off back to front camera
shift to reverse, changes to rear camera, shift back to park and changes back to front camera
Shift to reverse, changes to rear camera, stop and shift to drive, changes to front camera
shift to park, stays on front camera
There is a brief delay where it goes to the regular display in between camera view changes, sometimes, but less than a second ? I mainly notice this if going between reverse and drive

FYI, only time I touched the camera button was the first time I turned it on. Oh, and just for fun, went back to park, pressed camera button to turn off camera, pressed twice to go to rear camera and park, reverse, neutral and drive all stay on rear camera

Hope that helps those that were wondering.

update on nav - when using Google maps via Android auto, zero effect on navigation so far. When using navigation in the sync system, turning the camera on for a length of time confuses the navigation. When you shut the camera off, it will have you in a random, but close, spot on the map. Driving for about a mile it would resync to your location. This only seemed to be affected by using the front or rear camera, not when side camera turns on with turn signals.

Still works for my use as I would primarily use android auto for Pandora and then maps because it was easier. Also, now that I know the quirks, I won't be surprised.

Erik

Here are some snips from my review on FTE:

I added the Navik unit to my 20 after work yesterday. Unit was $350 and didn't require any Forscan adjustments on my 2020 F350. I now have rear side view with turn signals and access to front and rear cameras in motion. From what I've read, there is no adjustment that can be made in Forscan without a module. The Nav-TV one requires Forscan adjustments along with being more expensive.

bought bought it direct from Navik:

https://naviks.com/i-24075930-2017-2...tegory:1207160

You have to turn the front camera on, but if you change the setting it will keep that setting for that ignition round. I haven't tried to see what would happen if front camera was on, shift into and then out of reverse. Will try to remember next trip out.

So far I like it. The turn signal response on the display is quick. There is a little delay when turning on the front or rear cameras. It also enables data entry for the GPS while moving. For the ease of install and setup, I am happy with it

just to test it, I used the navigation on my way home today, granted via android auto, and it worked just fine. Use the signal, map changed to camera view and back to map when signal off.

ok, so here is what I tested:
truck parked in carport, start up and wait for screen to initiate
Press camera button once to turn on front camera, still in park. Turn on signal, screen changes to side view, signal off back to front camera
shift to reverse, changes to rear camera, shift back to park and changes back to front camera
Shift to reverse, changes to rear camera, stop and shift to drive, changes to front camera
shift to park, stays on front camera
There is a brief delay where it goes to the regular display in between camera view changes, sometimes, but less than a second ? I mainly notice this if going between reverse and drive

FYI, only time I touched the camera button was the first time I turned it on. Oh, and just for fun, went back to park, pressed camera button to turn off camera, pressed twice to go to rear camera and park, reverse, neutral and drive all stay on rear camera

Hope that helps those that were wondering.

update on nav - when using Google maps via Android auto, zero effect on navigation so far. When using navigation in the sync system, turning the camera on for a length of time confuses the navigation. When you shut the camera off, it will have you in a random, but close, spot on the map. Driving for about a mile it would resync to your location. This only seemed to be affected by using the front or rear camera, not when side camera turns on with turn signals.

Still works for my use as I would primarily use android auto for Pandora and then maps because it was easier. Also, now that I know the quirks, I won't be surprised.

Erik
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! So no "in bed" camera available?

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! So no "in bed" camera available?
Sorry, yes, you can hit the button to get the camera that is the high mount brake light. You actually have all the front and rear options as regular: front only, front 180 degree and front with 360. Center high mount, rear only, rear 180 degree and rear with 360. And, I just found this when inwas taking pics to show you, an option for showing both rear side views (the trailer icon with arrow in pic 2)

Attachments

• 16162074002583910632431304564798.jpg
    16162074002583910632431304564798.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 16162074446322681008639761021158.jpg
    16162074446322681008639761021158.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 16162075389978928650118134667466.jpg
    16162075389978928650118134667466.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Back