upfitter switches

There may be an easier way to do this. I am still looking into the wiring harness that would be needed to make this work. But the overhead console has a kick panel that is removable and has the bay for the rocker switch assembly underneath it ready to go. Take this all with a grain of salt as this is an XLT with a few options and everyone else may be different. I do not see a need to switch out the whole console face and risk not finding the one that matches your interior options. Here is what I have so far on:

Interior view of the bay where the switches go
PXL_20201018_182422505.jpg

Panel covering the area the switches would go. Looks like we could just order a different panel or if you want to be cheap, trim to create the opening yourself. There is a good template when it is assembled to show what area would need to be removed.
PXL_20201018_182755993.jpg

So the problem they had with mine was the harness in the wheel well was apparently already in use. in most cases it is capped and there, mine was in use. Apparently some of the function like rear power slide window and sensor for the windshield would have been removed. I am not sure i understand why, as I cant imagine ford would make different harnesses for every truck.
I am curious if there is a ford technician who could look into this.

Last edited:
There has to be a harness that works. What I think would be better is to create your own harness. One dedicated to just upfitter switches. When I get into this project more in-depth I will see if that possible. The switches and the rest of the truck are independent so there is no true need to use a factory harness other than it appears cleaner. We may be able to accomplish the same thing by building one. I think I will be ordering the wiring diagram to sort it out.

I'd be up for something like that. I have the overhead console that has it all, so if there is a way, that would be great. Even if standalone

Eloy and Ron, did you guys check to see if you had the harness available in your wheel well? Just wondering as apparently 2020 may be different....anyone with upfitters want to trace the harness and see if it plugs in a different spot now??

Mike, if you can find a way to use the factory switches, I am in! If I can donate to a research fund, I'd be glad to help!

Eloy and Ron, did you guys check to see if you had the harness available in your wheel well? Just wondering as apparently 2020 may be different....anyone with upfitters want to trace the harness and see if it plugs in a different spot now??

Mike, if you can find a way to use the factory switches, I am in! If I can donate to a research fund, I'd be glad to help!
I haven't checked yet but I'll look and see.

I found this with the part number for the switches. I just need to get the harness

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200930-060257_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200930-060257_Chrome.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 81
I found this with the part number for the switches. I just need to get the harness
So there will be two harnesses you need.
1 goes from the console to a pillar plug- cheaper of the 2 and this part # hasn't changed
2 goes from plug harness in the drivers wheel well to battery.
The fuse block on harness 2 mounts on the passenger side battery which is supposedly different than before.- this part # has changed a few times...ending in E, F, and now BA

The harness in the drivers wheel well is the one I am having trouble with. In previous posts and years 17-19 that harness was capped and free to use in the wheel well. Mine isn't, which makes me wonder if the wiring is totally different in 2020 along with the mounting area

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200925-213132_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200925-213132_Chrome.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 38
Any update on this guys? My 21 didn't come with the upfitter switches and I'm trying to find out what I need to do to get them installed.

Reactions: ccw
Back