UPDATE: BD 40" OnX6 Arc on a Tremor installed!

This was a hang up for me as well. But I’ll tell you, after having this light, I’d definitely figure out a way for the Onyx6 to work how you like. The light output is incredible on this 30”, so I can only
Imagine the 40”
I used mine for the first time last night on some empty mountain roads and it was amazing! I couldn’t believe how much better I could see in the distance but most importantly the sides of the roads. I was concerned about animals crossing the road but with this amount of light I could see well off the road.

The BDs look sharp and definitely seems better suited for my goal, struggling with ocd of the overhang with then
Onyx6…. dang it. Lol
I really don't have much overhang with my Onyx6 Arc 40" on stock bumper. Middle is flush with bumper and ends overhang maybe 1/2". Light output is phenomenal! I don't think a 30" Onyx6 would have much overhang.

GLWD

Reviving thread to see if there are any updated lighting mods, finally got my truck and curious on how I should spend money. So far, rigid midnight seems to be the best fit.
If you're not wanting to mount on top because of the overhang, and don't mind losing your tow hooks and possibly having to move your Adaptive Cruise Sensor (if equipped), then we can put a 40" Rigid RDS bar in the bumper opening. This is a Rigid RDS-Midnight on this truck in the lower bumper opening. On top is a Rigid SR-RDS (non-midnight) 40" light bar.

image0%20(12).jpeg

I just installed this 43 inch light bar. I'm not very mechanical and this is the most challenging modification I've done, but their website has a video for installation which made it pretty smooth. Took me about 3 hours. I installed their switch which I really like. It's normally blue but turns green when you switch it on. The light bar matches my black truck and it's not very noticeable if you're not looking for it. This is a 2022 F250 Platinum.

View attachment 108844

View attachment 108824

View attachment 108825

View attachment 108826

View attachment 108827

View attachment 108811

View attachment 108810

View attachment 108808
I bought the same one that I need to install. Question, what did you do with the extra wiring? Did you wind it up and keep it by the bumper or wind it up in the engine bay? I have dual batteries and I was debating going back-and-forth so I don’t have a bunch of wire banging around in one corner of the engine bay. They gave me way too much wire for 3 foot run to the upfitter harness.

Just seems like the wire from the bar, to the relay, to the battery is a little too long.

I bought the same one that I need to install. Question, what did you do with the extra wiring? Did you wind it up and keep it by the bumper or wind it up in the engine bay? I have dual batteries and I was debating going back-and-forth so I don’t have a bunch of wire banging around in one corner of the engine bay. They gave me way too much wire for 3 foot run to the upfitter harness.

Just seems like the wire from the bar, to the relay, to the battery is a little too long.

I just coiled up the extra and zip-tied it. I have the dual batteries and I can't remember why I ran it all the way across the engine bay to the passenger side battery.

IMG-7825.JPG

IMG-7826.JPG

If you're not wanting to mount on top because of the overhang, and don't mind losing your tow hooks and possibly having to move your Adaptive Cruise Sensor (if equipped), then we can put a 40" Rigid RDS bar in the bumper opening. This is a Rigid RDS-Midnight on this truck in the lower bumper opening. On top is a Rigid SR-RDS (non-midnight) 40" light bar.

image0%20(12).jpeg
Looks good! Kind of wishing I went with the 40” now lol the light output has got to be bad ass! My 20” lights up the world!

I just coiled up the extra and zip-tied it. I have the dual batteries and I can't remember why I ran it all the way across the engine bay to the passenger side battery.

View attachment 116778
View attachment 116779
Thank you. I was out checking how it fits on mine. I wish the brackets were a little different. Seems like they need to go further back to fit flush with the bumper. Or maybe even a taller one to put it in that first slit above the bumper so it goes back further into the grill than it does sitting on the bumper.

Last edited:
have the dual batteries and I can't remember why I ran it all the way across the engine bay to the passenger side battery.
Its simple, thats where your up-fitter wires are.

image0%20(12).jpeg
Appreciate the info, does the sr- rds 40 require drilling into metal when mounting. I like the look but I’m high maintenance. Lol

Thank you. I was out checking how it fits on mine. I wish the brackets were a little different. Seems like they need to go further back to fit flush with the bumper. Or maybe even a taller one to put it in that first slit above the bumper so it goes back further into the grill than it does sitting on the bumper.

I agree the brackets are not a perfect fit. Here is how I mounted them:

This is the lower one on the bumper:

IMG-7870.JPG

This is the upper light bar on the grille:

IMG-7869.JPG

I’m curious as well to know how the 40” ONX6 compares to the XL linkable kit. I understand the linkable blocks the camera more. I just want to know how they compare in regards to light output.

I have an onx6 on my Tacoma and RZR and the light output is phonomonal. I just personally think the linkable kit looks better on our trucks, but I would prefer light output to aesthetics.

Attachments

• IMG_8257.jpeg
    IMG_8257.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 24
I’m curious as well to know how the 40” ONX6 compares to the XL linkable kit. I understand the linkable blocks the camera more. I just want to know how they compare in regards to light output.

I have an onx6 on my Tacoma and RZR and the light output is phonomonal. I just personally think the linkable kit looks better on our trucks, but I would prefer light output to aesthetics.

Agree that the linkable looks amazing on these trucks, we run one on our Tremor. The linkable is rated at 22,050 lumens for light output and the 40" Onx6 is rated at 39,220. So for nearly the same price, the Onx6 is double the brightness.

1685195372616.png

The OnX6+ is going to put out much more light from a lumens standpoint than the XL-Linkable, however, you also have more reflectors and larger reflectors with the XL-Linkable that will impact the overall projection of the lights...which is when we start talking about lux.

I run a 40" OnX6+ in the front bumper of my truck with the ADD Stealth Fighter and I also had an 8-light XL-Linkable roof mounted on our Bronco build. Despite the fact that the OnX6+ has higher lumens, the actual output and projection of the light with the larger reflectors does make up for it.

If you're going for peak output, the OnX6+ is going to win. But if you want to trade some output for a little aesthetic upgrade that you like, the XL-Linkable is not a bad option at all.

The OnX6+ is going to put out much more light from a lumens standpoint than the XL-Linkable, however, you also have more reflectors and larger reflectors with the XL-Linkable that will impact the overall projection of the lights...which is when we start talking about lux.

I run a 40" OnX6+ in the front bumper of my truck with the ADD Stealth Fighter and I also had an 8-light XL-Linkable roof mounted on our Bronco build. Despite the fact that the OnX6+ has higher lumens, the actual output and projection of the light with the larger reflectors does make up for it.

If you're going for peak output, the OnX6+ is going to win. But if you want to trade some output for a little aesthetic upgrade that you like, the XL-Linkable is not a bad option at all.
You can always upgrade your XL-Linkable to the 80s in lieu of the sports. @Nick@ApolloOptics helped me with that and I feel like I have the best of both worlds. As an added benefit, the upgrade requires two lighting circuits so I can run the 4 outside lights (2 per side) with amber lenses on one switch and the 3 middle light with clear lenses on another.

You can always upgrade your XL-Linkable to the 80s in lieu of the sports. @Nick@ApolloOptics helped me with that and I feel like I have the best of both worlds. As an added benefit, the upgrade requires two lighting circuits so I can run the 4 outside lights (2 per side) with amber lenses on one switch and the 3 middle light with clear lenses on another.
And for those that don't know the XL 80's are 9,000 lumens each - so 64,000 lumens vs the 39,000 for the Onyx 6! That is a lot of light.

Good idea on the two circuits to run 4 amber and 3 clear - that has to be a great set up - post a picture if you would!

How are the BD linkables mounted to the bumper? Each end, or every fixture?

Back