Unpopular Opinion: Diesel Emissions Systems are Awesome

Boy, howdy, does this thread need Shrike or what? It’s waaay too civilized! Oh, wait, maybe it was posted in the Adult Discussion forum?

Sorry, somebody had to drag it down into the personalized attack muck. I’ll go to my corner now.
If you summoned him your getting a 214 like he said he got :ROFLMAO:

They'll just pipe the sound of the v8 over your speakers. Maybe with an extra rumble pack.
The wife's Mustang Ecoboost does this. The first time I heard it I wondered what was wrong. It's quite cute. Sounds kind of like a 4 year old playing with a toy tractor and making the sound effects with his mouth.

I like this thread! 👍🏼 Some good points on here. I work in the energy industry, and have always had a fascination with the technological advances with all things that create power. That includes the auto industry. I want to support the EV market so that it continues to advance. Although there is not a replacement for a truck yet, especially a diesel. EV Technology has a long way to go. I also don’t think of EV as being more eco friendly, not yet at least. Not when I drove my last diesel truck for almost 20 years.

Last edited:
Once EV manufacturers ditch the slow/inefficiently charging solid state batteries and switch to flow batteries with electrolyte exchange stations, I think they'll be onto something much more useful. Until then, internal combustion is going to be hard to beat for general practicality beyond anything other than daily commuting.

-SR-

If it was not for these new emission systems on our trucks there is a good chance they would not be available with a diesel engine any longer for at least the USA market. That is one way to look at it.

My old chevrolet direct injection 5.3l had the nastiest exhaust, it looked like a "coal rolling diesel" exhaust.

I think someone else mentioned somewhere a ways back, the direct injected engines are not that great but they were supposed to save fuel.

I don't have any facts to back this up other than just examining the exhaust tips but I would claim that my new diesel pollutes less than that DI gas engine does.

I think back in '06/07 when the diesel emissions started to really crack down, manufacturers didn't know the best way to deal with it. We had multiple years of EGRs going out, DPFs clogging, worse mileage, and all sorts of issues. Now, 15 years later, I think the manufacturers have come a long way in reducing diesel emissions while improving reliability of the systems. Having a long warranty period for emissions components is great too - I have zero desire to delete my truck. It has phenomenal power, great mileage, and by most accounts it's very reliable.

I think back in '06/07 when the diesel emissions started to really crack down, manufacturers didn't know the best way to deal with it. We had multiple years of EGRs going out, DPFs clogging, worse mileage, and all sorts of issues. Now, 15 years later, I think the manufacturers have come a long way in reducing diesel emissions while improving reliability of the systems. Having a long warranty period for emissions components is great too - I have zero desire to delete my truck. It has phenomenal power, great mileage, and by most accounts it's very reliable.

What kind of long warranty period do you have for your emission components?

Not to mention, it is illegal for dealers to touch a deleted truck.

Not to mention, it is illegal for dealers to touch a deleted truck.
The problem is a lot of dealers/techs/salesman are not very educated. I have a few friends that have traded in fully deleted trucks, had warranty work done, and sold their trucks straight up to various dealers.

Only one was asked if his truck was deleted and that was a week after he traded it in.

The problem is a lot of dealers/techs/salesman are not very educated. I have a few friends that have traded in fully deleted trucks, had warranty work done, and sold their trucks straight up to various dealers.

Only one was asked if his truck was deleted and that was a week after he traded it in.
It must depend on the state. When I went to order the Tremor, the Ford dealer was frothing out of his mouth trying for a trade in on my dually. Its heavily modified under the bonnet. When I told them that a large pot hole laid claim to certain equipment they asked to see what took its place, and then asked to go for a ride! They just run these trucks through auction. And I have had recall work done (its a Ram)....no questions asked. I just dont let them flash the ecm since the twins require efi live.

And before anyone makes assumptions....no I dont drive with my mirrors flipped out and no it doesnt roll coal. Black smoke is a product of poor tuning.

It must depend on the state. When I went to order the Tremor, the Ford dealer was frothing out of his mouth trying for a trade in on my dually. Its heavily modified under the bonnet. When I told them that a large pot hole laid claim to certain equipment they asked to see what took its place, and then asked to go for a ride! They just run these trucks through auction. And I have had recall work done (its a Ram)....no questions asked. I just dont let them flash the ecm since the twins require efi live.

And before anyone makes assumptions....no I dont drive with my mirrors flipped out and no it doesnt roll coal. Black smoke is a product of poor tuning.
Agreed. No smoke. No rolling coal.

Even my truck a dealer offered me way over what I payed knowing what’s done.

It's all robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

We get rid of a small amount of particulate but we burn more fuel to do it and create a whole other sector of waste and expense along the way.

More to build.
More parts and maintenance.
Fewer miles and shorter life out of our engines.
Burnt more diesel along the way.

All for show...

It's an robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

We get rid of a small amount of particulate but we burn more fuel to do it and create a whole other sector of waste and expense along the way.

More to build.
More parts and maintenance.
Fewer miles and shorter life out of our engines.
Burnt more diesel along the way.

All for show...

All for cleaner air, healthier lungs, and longer lives.

The direct impact on surface level air quality and human health of DPF systems is extremely well documented. “It burns more fuel” or “it creates more waste” is completely besides the point.

All for cleaner air, healthier lungs, and longer lives.

The direct impact on surface level air quality and human health of DPF systems is extremely well documented. “It burns more fuel” or “it creates more waste” is completely besides the point.

No, it's not besides the point.

You need to factor the waste created and pollution created from that.

Big picture thinking.

No, it's not besides the point.

You need to factor the waste created and pollution created from that.

Big picture thinking.

Honey.

Big picture:

There are libraries of data to support the fact that DPFs are incredibly net positive from the perspective of human health.

DPFs dramatically reduce smog and are incredibly effective at removing disastrously harmful particulates that are directly inhaled by humans in any proximity to diesel motors (all of us.)

Any marginal increase in diesel consumed or produced, or industrial pollution that may be created by the production of urea does not even begin to reduce the benefits of DPFs from an air quality and human health perspective.

Think bigger.

I've posted in other threads and on other sites regarding diesels on the topic of some diesels losing a little weight. My 2017 F-250 was one of those that lost quite a bit of weight. I am no expert but I chose to do it and I did it myself to see exactly what I could gain.

I would normally use the 100HP Weight Loss tune and I did notice a fairly substantial throttle response increase that was about it. There was absolutely no MPG gain that I couldn't have achieved with stock emissions. That is just an argument that people latch onto in order to justify to themselves and others that doing this was okay despite breaking the law. I am not one of those. I did it because I wanted to do it and I don't need to justify otherwise. Was it wrong? Legally, yes it was wrong but morally, well that I leave to each individual.

Using the notion that the engines will last longer deleted is, at best, a fart in a stiff breeze for two reasons: 1. I personally know of plenty of 6.7 PSD's that have over 250K on the clock with 0 issues and 2. I'd be willing to wager good money that out of all of us on here that have the 6.7 PSD's, less than 20% will keep their pickups longer than 250K, if that. So, to put a fine point on things, claiming the engines will run longer with less trouble is at best conjecture and more likely just another attempt to convince one's self that it is okay to do.

What I took away from having performed the full delete and EGR removal was that I absolutely loved the deep throaty growl of the diesel and I enjoyed not going into regen 3 miles from my house. With the advancement in the exhaust systems even from the 17 to the 21 I have noticed that things run very well. Also, having the ability to turn off Auto Regen simply negates the 3 mile from home regeneration issue. My overall MPG, hand calculated, from the day I brought this 21 home until today is 18.9 MPG. That calculations includes highway empty, city empty, highway loaded, city loaded and all regens. For comparison, my 2019 Expedition, which never towed anything more than my family's asses around, was 19.2 MPG. The overall average for the 17 deleted was 18.7 MPG.

I absolutely love not smelling half combusted diesel (aka rolling coal). I absolutely love not smelling diesel exhaust in the cab from being deleted (I had that too with the 17 but my HVAC was always on recirc). I feel like much less of an asshole knowing that I am not polluting the folk behind me with the fumes. I have 0 problem with having to pay a little extra money for DEF to keep NOX somewhat in check. I have 0 problem with the DPF trapping the particulate. I knew all of this when I bought the vehicle and I fully well knew that at some point I may have to fork over 7K for a new DPS should mine fail outside of warranty. If I could not afford this then I would not have purchased the vehicle. I would rather pay for the DPF than full 15K for a new fuel delivery system that goes out on these about as much as the DPF. At any rate, these occurrences are pretty low when you consider the sheer amount of the vehicles with modern diesels on the road.

I am not an "environmentalist" but there is no reason to pollute just for the sake of polluting. If we can design engines that have enough torque and horsepower to yank a bend out of a road all while cutting down harmful emissions then why not? Beyond that, many others have said it and I'll say it again, with proper maintenance and care, the vast majority of these pickups will last a long damn time.

Now for those that race or sport, that is a bit different. They aren't trying to squeeze a couple MPG more or a couple hundred HP/torque or even a few extra hundred thousand miles on the clock. They are pushing these things to twice and beyond what they were initially rated for. In my opinion, that is a good thing and enjoy what they accomplish. Even for those folks that buy these pickups and use them on farms, ranches or where they are constantly in foliage, I have no problem with them deleting them due to the fire hazard they pose because of the extreme heat they generate. By the same token, I have no problem with the same folks doing this to gasoline engines.

I would hope most would chose not to delete just for the sake of deleting under some skewed or half-truth notion. That said, if a person decides to delete, just delete and enjoy yourself without trying to convince anyone that it is the "better" thing to do for whatever reason because most of the time the reason just isn't supported by the data. After having a deleted vehicle and stock, to me neither is no less of a hassle but rather the hassles are just different.

I'll get off my soapbox now. In the end, these are just my opinions and experiences and they are no more or less right than anyone else's.

Honey.

Big picture:

There are libraries of data to support the fact that DPFs are incredibly net positive from the perspective of human health.

DPFs dramatically reduce smog and are incredibly effective at removing disastrously harmful particulates that are directly inhaled by humans in any proximity to diesel motors (all of us.)

Any marginal increase in diesel consumed or produced, or industrial pollution that may be created by the production of urea does not even begin to reduce the benefits of DPFs from an air quality and human health perspective.

Think bigger.

I'm not "Honey".

I don't know why you would start with that in a civil conversation.

We can agree to disagree then.

I'm all for pollution reduction, except it's not all that in this circumstance... you've bought the dominant narrative, I know that's easy to do.

Robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

Back