Underside of my hood not body color??? thoughts

PapaRaptor

Tremor Maniac
Reaction Points
Current Ride
6.7 F350 Tremor "Velocity" Blue Lariat Sport
Current Ride #2
7.3 F350 Iconic silver THE SILVER FOX
So there was some talk on another thread about the underside of the hoods. Many are body color. Some are a satin black color.

I Know several with the Velocity Blue trucks with body color on the undersides of the hood. BUT................they are not SPORT models or ( 2021 black).

Mine is a Sport so I was thinking its black because of the Sport option............

thoughts on this???? can anyone else with a sport let me know what color is the underside of your hood????
IMG_6178.jpeg

So there was some talk on another thread about the underside of the hoods. Many are body color. Some are a satin black color.

I Know several with the Velocity Blue trucks with body color on the undersides of the hood. BUT................they are not SPORT models or ( 2021 black).

Mine is a Sport so I was thinking its black because of the Sport option............

thoughts on this???? can anyone else with a sport let me know what color is the underside of your hood????
I have the Sport package on a Magnetic Tremor, the engine side of the hood is black.

My 20 F350 is a rapid red with the sport package and the hood is primer black underneath. Comparing the paint finish quality to my 19 F150 magnetic, Ford got lazy and were trying to cut costs. Damn near every side of the panels that I looked at on my 19 were painted magnetic. The only areas that are painted rapid red on my 20 are visible from the exterior and door jambs.

My 21’ is Star White with Blackout Package and the underside of the hood is white.

I have a 2020 Iconic Sport with a white ish under hood and firewall. You may be on to something with the sport package.

Blue Jeans Metallic Sport, underside of hood is black primer.

It is aluminum, they could of just left it bare
True, but it looks unfinished.

I find it interesting that the 2020 Sports have black or white paint on the undersides of the hoods while the non sports have body color. So far that is the consensus.

I would highly doubt the primer versus paint underhood/hidden areas issue has anything to do with trim or spec.

It is stupid levels of lame though on a $60K-$90K vehicle. Seems like something that would have happened on a Kia or a Hyundai back in the early 90's when they were trying to figure out the whole auto production and fit and finish thing. If I had a GM or Ram, and my buddy had a Ford SD, it would be something I would give constant sheet to him about.

I have Iconic Silver and the entire engine compartment and underhood is white. What the hell?
no paint underhood.jpg

I have Iconic Silver and the entire engine compartment and underhood is white. What the hell?
Seems like the primer color? Some paint colors are primed white, Some black?

I'm getting that 1980's American car vibe when reading these forums... It's like post-hysteria, Ford's manufacturing quality took a massive hit. I find myself wondering what these 2020 and 2021's are going to look like in five to seven years.

Whenever I look at a used or even new vehicle, one of the first things I do is check door Jams, gas door and under the hood for signs of a repaint. Sometimes brand new vehicles get damaged during transport and get repaired. This obviously isn’t the case here, but moving forward (resale) I’d be concerned. If I were joe consumer looking at a vehicle and saw that the engine bay not the same as the body color it’d be red flags for me and I wouldn’t want to believe it came like that

even though we obviously now know otherwise

My Rapid Red 2021 has black inside the engine bay and underside of the hood.

Lots of threads on the F150 and Raptor forums about no paint under the hood or thin paint in the door jambs. Both my 2019 Raptor and 2020 Raptor have little to no color under the hood. My 2019 Raptors paint was so thin in the door jams you could see the primer. The backside of my bed where it meets the cab is also light on paint , its more primer than anything. Granted you only see this if you stare at the gap but on every other truck I have owned everything under the hood, gaps etc.. at least was painted the body color .

From what I have seen Ford metallic colors are the worst for paint quality when it comes to coverage in jams and under the hood.

My father in law bought a 40k Chevy Silverado and paint color is everywhere, and the overall paint quality is much better than Ford.

Just checked mine and the underhood and inside fenders are painted magnetic like the rest of the truck but with no clear coat. It is an XLT, not a blackout truck.

I think the plant makes a difference too.. both my Raptors were built in Dearborn, my 19's paint was garbage the 20 is not great but tolerable. Trucks that I have seen that came out of KC had better coverage and less trash..

Black. Doesn't match exterior color. Saves money...... and weight.

Back