Underhood insulation?

NuclearDan

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 XLT Tremor
Current Ride #2
2006 F350 dually, 2004 6.0 Excursion, 1999 F350 7.3, 1996 F250 gas
Looking at my 7.3 06/20 build truck. I notice there is no insulation on the hood?
Looks like thier are clips and such? my buddys 17' has insulation.
Only asking a few of yall to check. But.... while were at it just everyone open and close those hoods to say hello. LOL

Pretty sure no insulation on the 2020's and if you buy a 2017-2019 insulation pad a new hole for the under hood light will need to be cut. The 2020 under hood light is in a different location.

Like a 7.3 or a 6.7 needs a blankie?
Maybe a bed time story too? ;)
I had install the insulation pad today. Engine bay much quieter

Attachments

• 20210414_135927.jpg
    20210414_135927.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 282
I ordered part number HC3Z 16738 A and installed it on my 2022. There is a cut out for the hood light that I don't have but it fit and less engine noise.

With all the reports of spark plug wires melting maybe they left it off so the engine can cool off faster
I had a 2017 with the pad, my 2021 Tremor does not. Both are or were 6.7's. I have not noticed a difference in noise without it. What I have noticed is a much cleaner engine bay. Those under hood pads collect huge amounts of dust and are almost impossible to clean.

For any new folks wanting to add the under hood insulation:

Retainers: Best price for quantity of OEM retainers

Thanks just ordered. Why would Ford quit installing these? Was it a commodity issue or what? Then again they eliminated several little things such as under hood light, this insulation, lighting in the cup holders, lighted platinum sill plates.

There may be better prices from other sources on line, but you have to watch out, the shipping can be more than the part depending on how and where it ships to. If you can find one under $150 with free shipping you have done pretty good. Then again you may try your local dealer and do just fine as well. The retainers can be very expensive at the local dealer as they sell them in small quantities or each for several buck each. On line is best for these.

When you install, make sure you slide the back edge of the insulation under the two tabs at the rear of the hood. If you forget you don't want to bend the tabs to engage them. It's about a 5-10 minute install with the OEM retainers.

Thanks just ordered. Why would Ford quit installing these? Was it a commodity issue or what? Then again they eliminated several little things such as under hood light, this insulation, lighting in the cup holders, lighted platinum sill plates.
That's the job of the bean counters. They constantly change specs and update standard features to save a buck or two per unit. It's like when the Snicker bar suddenly gets smaller but the price stays the same. 99% of the "sheep" never notice.

I had a 2017 with the pad, my 2021 Tremor does not. Both are or were 6.7's. I have not noticed a difference in noise without it. What I have noticed is a much cleaner engine bay. Those under hood pads collect huge amounts of dust and are almost impossible to clean.
DITTO@!!

Without the hood insulation, where will mice build a comfy nest in your engine bay?

Back