Undercoating?

Been using fluid film for years, protects all winter.
Easy job for Tremor because you can slide right up under it but it can be a messy job.

Been using fluid film for years, protects all winter.
Easy job for Tremor because you can slide right up under it but it can be a messy job.
Fluid film - do you spray it on or brush it on?

A video - the guy claims it washes off wheel well interiors. And with aluminum body panels not sure it’s necessary. I guess steel frame areas only? Very little if any salt used on roads here in NC.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try LPS3. I've been researching both Fluid Film and LPS3 and for me, I think LPS3 may be the way to go. I have a few cans and am testing it now. Seems easy enough to apply with spray cans or purchase a larger amount and apply it with a hand sprayer.

I purchased a gallon of Fluid Film to spray the tremor last month but now I’m waiting for the next truck to get built. I was asking these 2 brothers that I work with in PA how they managed to keep their Rams from rusting apart and they told me about Fluid film. They both use the spray cans but told me about the gallons. Never heard of this stuff before and looked into it first. Suppose it is more like a thick wax than the traditional drying tar like stuff so you can scratch it off with your finger nail. You apply the non aerosol stuff with what looks like your typical siphoning undercoating gun. The guys at work say they go under the truck once a year and re-coat what looks wore off. Being white I guess you can easily tell thin spots. Not sure how you look for thin spots using the new black stuff. Perhaps it’s a different looking black coating. Spray cans are ~$10 and the gallon was $38 at least around me.
Not sure if you can get it professionally applied and maintained because I figured if they could do it, I could so didn’t look into it. I saw you can buy the stuff on Amazon so if you want it to come to you that is an option.

Look into amsoil hd metal protector, I used about 3 cans when I first purchased my truck about 3 years ago. It dries to like a wax finish and the trucks been through 2 winters so far and it’s still hasn’t washed off. I’ve used fluid film in the past and this is way better.

Look into amsoil hd metal protector, I used about 3 cans when I first purchased my truck about 3 years ago. It dries to like a wax finish and the trucks been through 2 winters so far and it’s still hasn’t washed off. I’ve used fluid film in the past and this is way better.

do you buy from the amsoil site? If so do you have a referral number I’ll use it when I buy.

Another option if you want the job done quick and it works very well, used it on my Jeep.

This is what our state dept uses on the frames of their salt trucks
Take boiled linseed oil " Lowe's " and dilute it with mineral spirits and spray it on with a garden sprayer......quick and easy but again, it's messy.

cosmoline RP-342 black, and RP-342 heavy military grade, works great, do a google search for reviews,

found this great video explaining the different options. I’m going either cosmoline or amsoil. But def watch the video. It was super helpful for picking which one to go with.

I'm in Northern NY and my local detail show does undercoating. I'm going to be having them do my truck on Monday. They use krown. Iv never undercoated before. I think they are charging me $130ish.

My dealership sent mine out before delivery, they just coated the steel on the bottom no body parts. There was some overspray up inside and they covered the shocks so you can't read Tremor on them. No spray on engine or transmission but all the suspension parts are coated, bars, springs axles.

The did coat the underside of the aluminum body ( guess for sound reasons)

Same company did my Rubicon few years ago and it looks like new underneath after 3 winters on salt roads.

I am a big fan of the Amsoil products so thats something I am going to watch.

Dealer did mine before pickup. At a glance in the parking lot it looked like a pretty good job with minimal overspray and substantial coating... But I need to get a good look at it in the Light. Gettin' dark quick here, that time of year

I was quoted $499 from P and L automotive in Minneapolis to do undercoating spray, and inside panel spray. I had them do my last couple of vehicles and was very pleased with the results.

Back