Undercoating? yes /no

Bullitt

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 ford super duty f350 lariat tremor/ sport
I live in Vermont with a lot of salt on the roads for about 6 months a year. My past 2015 super duty is crusty because I never undercoated. I thought I would like to prevent premature rust if possible. My dealer said they do fluid film, in and on the frame. In the rockers and all the other know spots.

Thoughts? They will wash the underside the night before and leave inside over night, then undercoat in the am. I told them to do it as soon as it comes in off the truck. $145 is what they quoted me, I did not think that was too terrible.

I am getting mine done from the dealer when it comes in before I take delivery. I had my 2017 Rubicon done that way and it looks like new after almost 3 winters. We use very corrosive liquid and calcium chloride on our roads. Just eats up the vehicles.

I am also getting it ceramic coated

I believe it has an aluminum body, so it won't "rust" in the traditional sense. The frame is high-strength steel, so I would think it would be more resistant to rust but I can't venture a real solid opinion on that.

I believe it has an aluminum body, so it won't "rust" in the traditional sense. The frame is high-strength steel, so I would think it would be more resistant to rust but I can't venture a real solid opinion on that.
It does that is one reason I choose Ford, but the under body still gets destroyed so I am getting it coated to help it last longer. If I lived in other areas I would not.

Here in Texas, the sun bakes out the shiny side before anything messes up the bottom.

I spent two weeks cleaning the Garaj Mahal out before the truck arrived so I could keep it covered. I needed to create new habits from Day One. (y)

Ed

Here in Texas, the sun bakes out the shiny side before anything messes up the bottom.

I spent two weeks cleaning the Garaj Mahal out before the truck arrived so I could keep it covered. I needed to create new habits from Day One. (y)

Ed
peanut butter n jealous,

Up Here in the great white north they use some nasty chemicals on the roads to prevent ice. They rot out cars and trucks in just a few short years. Where are the environmentalist?
The undercoating is really saving my Rubicon the frame and underside still looks great after 3 winters.

Ed

Depends upon whether you live near the coast or not and frequent the beach or coast. I do agree that the paint is severely affected by the sun in TX so I will be getting a truck cover as this is not my daily.

Here's my truck with the finished undercoating job at local place Oiltrell

IMG_20200605_1648345.jpg

IMG_20200605_1649242.jpg

IMG_20200605_1649008.jpg

IMG_20200605_1649342.jpg

IMG_20200605_1649531.jpg

IMG_20200605_1648522.jpg

Some overspray but whatever. Should prove to be durable enough for whatever I'm going to do. I would like to get those fender well liners that fit correctly, but for now this should adequately protect the truck. This is just the underside, they also put a rust protectant on the doors and painted spots where rust could occur, under the hood as well.

Back