TSB 23-2160 FOR 10R140 CDF DRUM REDESIGN

KILLAZILLA

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 7.3 Tremor
My truck (2020 F350 7.3, 24k miles, 1/31/20 build) had MANY and ALL of the transmission issues/complaints even from new with hard shifting. This seems to be the root cause to ALL of them as it's shifting properly....for now

Surprised this hasn't been a title topic posted as of yet. From reading about it should be quite a common problem and misdiagnosis from previous posts/issues others have been having as a "new replacement trans" doesn't diagnose the REAL issues people are having as this problem can easily be misdiagnosed for something else without a proper disassembly and proper diagnosis and should be replaced with the updated CDF replacement part (LC3Z 7H351 B), GL and drive safe...

Added content, issue noticed since September 2021

Last edited:
My truck (2020 F350 7.3, 1/31/20 build) had MANY and ALL of the transmission issues/complaints even from new with hard shifting. This seems to be the root cause to ALL of them as it's shifting properly....for now

Surprised this hasn't been a title topic posted as of yet. From reading about it should be quite a common problem and misdiagnosis from previous posts/issues others have been having as a "new replacement trans" doesn't diagnose the REAL issues people are having as this problem can easily be misdiagnosed for something else without a proper disassembly and proper diagnosis and should be replaced with the updated CDF replacement part (LC3Z 7H351 B), GL and drive safe...

Does the early build date 2022s have the old style cdf hub? My 2022 build December of 21 is having similar issues. Harsh engagement, flare from 3rd to 4th or 5th and aggressive down shifts from 4th to 3rd all current tsbs have been done to it with no change.

Does the early build date 2022s have the old style cdf hub? My 2022 build December of 21 is having similar issues. Harsh engagement, flare from 3rd to 4th or 5th and aggressive down shifts from 4th to 3rd all current tsbs have been done to it with no change.
I would guess it doesn't as the tsb began 3/23. Think I may have seen an early 22' having issues related to cdf drum on a video or read it somewhere.

I would try contacting Ford for a definitive answer though. Seems to me ALL transmission related problems and early attempts to "cure" it have been misdiagnosed and MAIN culprit is DEFINITELY that cdf drum.

My '22 with the 7.3 feels like it slips when going from 9th to 10th. Any idea what would cause this issue or is it normal?

That's exactly how mine was for a few months prior to stuck in 10th and loss of 10th with wrench warning light.

Make an appointment A.S.A.P. as some dealers won't even look at it for several weeks.

Your gonna need that redesigned CDF drum.

My '22 with the 7.3 feels like it slips when going from 9th to 10th. Any idea what would cause this issue or is it normal?
Forgot to quote your post. Definitely CDF drum. Slipping, revving up prior to shift and I describe it as a feeling you get when elevator lands on your floor when trying to shift from 9th to 10th. GL

Forgot to quote your post. Definitely CDF drum. Slipping, revving up prior to shift and I describe it as a feeling you get when elevator lands on your floor when trying to shift from 9th to 10th. GL
Fantastic...thank you for this feedback.

Yes, the elevator analogy fits the feeling well.

Better do it now, while I'm under the 3/36 warranty!

Does anyone know what build date started using the new design?

Does anyone know what build date started using the new design?
I would DEFINITELY call Ford to try to find out. Especially, if my truck had trans related problems. Regardless of what year it was. That same trans could have been put in 2023's for all we know...

Problem didn't become catastrophic for me till it was 3 years and around 25k old.

Most likely get some run around or bullshit generic responses from Ford though.

Might get lucky and run into a good service representative that actually takes their job serious as they should....

Last edited:
Fantastic...thank you for this feedback.

Yes, the elevator analogy fits the feeling well.

Better do it now, while I'm under the 3/36 warranty!
Dealer may or may not push back and say it's not throwing any codes yet. So, hopefully you'll get lucky and run into the right mechanic that can properly verify the problem and do something about it as it WILL definitely get worse if not replaced.

I would bring up the tsb for the redesigned cdf drum. If they can't verify your transmission doesn't have the new redesigned one. Then, they should replace it. It's actually in their benefit as Ford has to pay them for the work performed.

Last edited:
Good info. Will print and put it in the file. My trans is not exhibiting this issues yet, but the truck only has 18,000 miles on it 🤞

Updated op with issues found as early as September 2021.

Edit for link with some good info.

Last edited:
Do the 2023s use the updated CDF drum?

Oh man this is great news but terrible too. Many of us will probably need this. Hopefully this info was moved over to the 10r140 harsh engagement thread that's been building with all the TSBs.

I wonder if this is similar to the shim the guy from performance transmissions was talking about from the f150/mustang 10speeds needing.

Last edited:
Oh man this is great news but terrible too. Many of us will probably need this. Hopefully this info was moved over to the 10r140 harsh engagement thread that's been building with all the TSBs.

I wonder if this is similar to the shim the guy from performance transmissions was talking about from the f150/mustang 10speeds needing.
Hopefully not...

I REALLY hate driving a pos rental car like a 4dr charger dealer had me in for 3 weeks while they were doing a warranty piece of roof molding trim that they had to get a glass installer to cutout my rear window to access a damn rivet.

Fortunately, I had trans done while I was on vacation for 3 weeks...

Otherwise I would have had to come out of pocket for a rental and try to get reimbursement.

You would think they could do some type of real testing on these trucks before pushing them out like they do???

Back