Trying to decide on what build

wakesurfpdx

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2017 F150 V6 Ecoboost
Currently driving a 2017 F150 EcoBoost and looking to upgrade to a SD. I will be towing a heavy boat all summer long (May-Sept in PNW) and want the extra weigh of the SD trucks to handle the load better. Didn't know what the Tremor package was until Monday of this week because I was looking at an Expedition originally. Bottom line is my boat will trailer, fuel, gear, etc will weigh in at around #9000. Family of 5 tent camping so another 1500# of people and gear in the truck. I love the Tremor package look and because this is not a true work truck it appeals more to the masses. Main question is F250 or F350 in this package? Looks like most of the trucks are F250 spec but doesn't the F350 have better resale?

I would go with the 350. Two reasons, first is extra payload, provided where you live does not penalize you for the larger gross weight. Two is the 7.3 is less money when opting for it in a 350, but come to think of it I think you can only get the 7.3 gas and 6.7 diesel.

I have a 350 with the 7.3 with 250 miles so far and love the truck. This combo and packages is by far the best super duty I have ever owned to date!
FYI I’m coming away from a 11 and 15 350 with the 6.7 leveled and 35” tires!
Enough said!

I'm literally in the same boat as you. Had a 2016 F150 w/max tow package and needed to tow a boat/trailer combo of 9300 lbs. I have a family and we're either towing the boat or the pop-up camper on the weekends from April thru October. I went F250 Tremor 7.3. Door sticker says payload is around 2900 lbs. Very happy with it. If you want more payload, go 350. For my needs, 250 7.3 is great. Good luck!

Found one locally that is 6.7 350. Always been a gasser so kind of interested in going d for a change. I'll drive them both before I decide.

I don't intend this as judgement of anyone that chooses a 250 because everyone has their reasons so please don't take offense if you have a 250.

That said....

I can not understand why anyone that plans on using their trucks for any kind of load hauling/towing would get a 250 instead of a 350 when you consider how small the price difference is. You get on forums and there are tons of threads about how people have a 250 and are fighting sag, adding air bags, fretting over if the truck will handle the tongue weight of the new TT they are considering, etc, etc. The ride is close enough that unless you get out of a 250 and immediately get into a 350 and follow the same route, you will never notice the difference once you make the purchase.

Get the 350 and then you don't have to worry if you have enough truck.

Found one locally that is 6.7 350. Always been a gasser so kind of interested in going d for a change. I'll drive them both before I decide.

The diesel is a beast but if your only going to tow 9k-10k then it's wayyyy overkill. The additional $8500-ish initial cost, plus the $150 oil changes, $0.40 higher fuel cost, additional maintenance costs, etc will buy a lot of gas in a 7.3. imho, unless your going to have the trailer hooked up more often than not or might one day have to tow 16k plus then get the 7.3.

I don't intend this as judgement of anyone that chooses a 250 because everyone has their reasons so please don't take offense if you have a 250.

That said....

I can not understand why anyone that plans on using their trucks for any kind of load hauling/towing would get a 250 instead of a 350 when you consider how small the price difference is. You get on forums and there are tons of threads about how people have a 250 and are fighting sag, adding air bags, fretting over if the truck will handle the tongue weight of the new TT they are considering, etc, etc. The ride is close enough that unless you get out of a 250 and immediately get into a 350 and follow the same route, you will never notice the difference once you make the purchase.

Get the 350 and then you don't have to worry if you have enough truck.
Sounds like those folks on forums you referenced didn’t fully know how they would be using their truck.

I went with the F250 because on the Tremor the bumper pull capacity is the same between the F250/350. The GN/5th rating is only a 1,000 lbs or so (I think) less on the F250. Given my trailer size and payload needs, the extra $1,000 for the F350 didn’t make sense.

I was in the same situation. Went with the 6.7 and love it. I’ve enjoyed learning about diesel. It’s way different than my Ecoboost.

Did some quick calculations bases on 100,000 miles and 12 GPM vs 18GPM based on unladen fuel mileage that I've seen posted. Basically in my market I would spend about $5000 more gas for 87 than on diesel. This is obviously a very subjective number at this point so don't kill me for it. It seems that in the long run, depending on how many miles and what is being hauled or towed, it kind of works out as a wash for expense.

Did some quick calculations bases on 100,000 miles and 12 GPM vs 18GPM based on unladen fuel mileage that I've seen posted. Basically in my market I would spend about $5000 more gas for 87 than on diesel. This is obviously a very subjective number at this point so don't kill me for it. It seems that in the long run, depending on how many miles and what is being hauled or towed, it kind of works out as a wash for expense.
I can’t imagine going diesel is a money saver. Like @bmexline and others have commented, maintenance on a diesel is more $, plus DEF, which I haven’t purchased yet.

What size gas tank do you have in the 7.3 and is it the same on the 6.7?

34 gallons although the fuel gauge doesn't recognize the last 5-6 gallons. There is a tsb on it but I haven't bothered to mess with it. Unless I'm mistaken, all short beds get the 34 gallon tank.

No offense taken. I did my research and for the amount I drive and towing that I do, the 250 7.3 works just fine, and I'm happy to have a slightly softer ride. I drive less than 10k per year so a diesel didn't make financial sense for me.

No offense taken. I did my research and for the amount I drive and towing that I do, the 250 7.3 works just fine, and I'm happy to have a slightly softer ride. I drive less than 10k per year so a diesel didn't make financial sense for me.

That's it right there. Do your research and make an educated decision.

Back