Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

My plan is, or at least was, is to mount a River Quiver to the side of the Supertramp, keeps it lower and doesn’t go up when the roof goes up. I’m not 100% how much I really need it though, even when jumping spot to spot I just split my fly rod in half, but the reel case over the reel to hold the two rod pieces together at the butt and put a bungie around the tips, takes about 1 min and seems safer for the rods…. I am tempted by those cool looking tubes but every time I talk myself back out of them.

Now a product that has changed my fly fishing LIFE…
View attachment 160245
View attachment 160246

Orvis makes this one, but Fishpond, Simms, and I’m sure others make them too. I can carry six rods and reels, fly boxes, sunglasses and now that I bought the slickest new net a net too. I carry my waders and boots (if I can’t wet wade) in a Rubbermaid tote but this case was a game changer!!!!
I’ve got the same Orvis case. I was messing with it earlier, as we’re headed to NM this coming weekend. However we’re taking the wife’s 4Runner, so I was throwing a couple rods in it as well as some gear.

I’ve got the same Orvis case. I was messing with it earlier, as we’re headed to NM this coming weekend. However we’re taking the wife’s 4Runner, so I was throwing a couple rods in it as well as some gear.
Yeah I absolutely love the case, mine is the big one and it fits my 11ft 3WT EuroRod (barely) but it fits. I admit I’m guilty of carrying 5 or more setups and only using 1 or 2 most of the time but this case makes carrying them so easy I don’t know how I lived without it!

You aren’t trout fishing NM are you!???? I was there earlier this year but season wasn’t open yet…. There’s a few I’d really like to chase… Gila in particular.

How are you liking the Hallmark? I've been following their campers for a while but they don't seem to get the attention four wheel, OEX and others do. It may just be their not as savvy with social media marketing like the others. Any noticeable differences for their "overland" models?
I love it. I had a Four Wheel Camper Granby first, but switched to Hallmark, and I like it a lot better than the FWC. Hallmark is a small, family owned and operated manufacturer, so they are kinda slow on their production and I would guess they don't do a lot of marketing because they don't have the capability to take on the orders that it would bring. The campers are very well made, and they give you a lot of options to customize it the way you want. I'm not sure what their current wait time is, but when I ordered mine in Jan 2022, it took about about 14 months to get my camper. I think the only difference with the overland models is that there are 2 lockable aluminum boxes, that they call "work boxes" at the back corners, that you access from the outside. They are handy for storing gear and tools. The roof and lifting mechanism is capable of storing over 300 lbs.

Most of the things I didn't like about FWC, they have addressed in their newest models, after I bought my Hallmark. But because of the metal construction of the FWC you will always have issues with condensation when running the heater. That is not an issue with Hallmarks because of the balsa and composite "exoskeleton".

Slowly dipping my feet into this truck camper life and progressively testing the homebuilt camper. I've been doing longer drives and driving in different areas to test out the camper. With that said, I learned a lesson on what not to do. Maybe others can learn from my stupidity.

Packed up my wife and the dogs to go on a day trip about 1.5 hours away to the Ocoee River so we could watch some rafters and kayakers take on the Olympic section. We overpacked with the idea that maybe we would find a campsite and stay overnight.

We spent about 3 hours there allowing the dogs to enjoy the water, ate some snacks, and watched some rafters. We would walk around a bit and then go hang out by the truck so the dogs could have some water and food. After one of our little walks, we got back to the truck and I realized that my truck keys had fallen out of my pocket. We spent about an hour searching along the rocks for my keys with no luck. Called some mobile lock smiths and they weren't able to program a ford key fob. Finally called some friends and one friend (fellow Tremor owner) was willing to make the drive up to us. He grabbed the spare key from my house and then set off to save the day. He told me he would be there about 5.

At about 4:40, my truck just started honking. At first I thought my alarm was going off but it didn't have the right cadence, then I figured it was my buddy with my spare messing with us as he pulled up. I looked around and I did not see him anywhere, but I did see a guy down by the river waving his hand at me. I run down to him and sure enough, he has my keys. He was sitting in the water and randomly looked down to see my key next to him! Had to call my friend and have him turn around but man am I thankful for his willingness to help. After our hot and stressful day, we figured we would just pack up then head home.

First little trip with the camper was one to remember! Two lessons here, don't be like me and the key fob is more resistant to water than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_8737.jpg
    IMG_8737.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8733.jpg
    IMG_8733.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8718.jpg
    IMG_8718.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 22
Slowly dipping my feet into this truck camper life and progressively testing the homebuilt camper. I've been doing longer drives and driving in different areas to test out the camper. With that said, I learned a lesson on what not to do. Maybe others can learn from my stupidity.

Packed up my wife and the dogs to go on a day trip about 1.5 hours away to the Ocoee River so we could watch some rafters and kayakers take on the Olympic section. We overpacked with the idea that maybe we would find a campsite and stay overnight.

We spent about 3 hours there allowing the dogs to enjoy the water, ate some snacks, and watched some rafters. We would walk around a bit and then go hang out by the truck so the dogs could have some water and food. After one of our little walks, we got back to the truck and I realized that my truck keys had fallen out of my pocket. We spent about an hour searching along the rocks for my keys with no luck. Called some mobile lock smiths and they weren't able to program a ford key fob. Finally called some friends and one friend (fellow Tremor owner) was willing to make the drive up to us. He grabbed the spare key from my house and then set off to save the day. He told me he would be there about 5.

At about 4:40, my truck just started honking. At first I thought my alarm was going off but it didn't have the right cadence, then I figured it was my buddy with my spare messing with us as he pulled up. I looked around and I did not see him anywhere, but I did see a guy down by the river waving his hand at me. I run down to him and sure enough, he has my keys. He was sitting in the water and randomly looked down to see my key next to him! Had to call my friend and have him turn around but man am I thankful for his willingness to help. After our hot and stressful day, we figured we would just pack up then head home.

First little trip with the camper was one to remember! Two lessons here, don't be like me and the key fob is more resistant to water than I expected.
That's a scary thought that is on mind quite often - especially, when being really far away from home. I am thinking of putting the console vault safe in + a spare key in a Faraday pouch/box and use the keypad to get into the truck. But it just makes me feel uncomfortable, too - knowing that there is a key in the truck. Maybe weld a lockbox somewhere underneath.

That's a scary thought that is on mind quite often - especially, when being really far away from home. I am thinking of putting the console vault safe in + a spare key in a Faraday pouch/box and use the keypad to get into the truck. But it just makes me feel uncomfortable, too - knowing that there is a key in the truck. Maybe weld a lockbox somewhere underneath.
I always give my dad crap for locking his keys inside and using the keypad, but this situation has me rethinking. I have used one of those magnetic key holders with success. I am considering getting a key cut and hiding it somewhere in one of those magnetic key holders. Then storing a keyfob in a pouch like you described and hiding it inside as a permanent backup.

I told my wife anything can happen once, I will hopefully be much more prepared next time.

Or install one of these on your camper. I have one it’s actually super handy. Let’s you use a Key, Remote, or Keypad. I hang the remote next to the bed in my camper so I can lock it in case I forget lol. Works very well.

Or install one of these on your camper. I have one it’s actually super handy. Let’s you use a Key, Remote, or Keypad. I hang the remote next to the bed in my camper so I can lock it in case I forget lol. Works very well.
I installed one too! The keyed lock that came with my camper lasted 2 trips before jamming (I had to crow bar it open) so I installed this one since it appears like it won't let as much dirt into the mechanical workings.

I installed one too! The keyed lock that came with my camper lasted 2 trips before jamming (I had to crow bar it open) so I installed this one since it appears like it won't let as much dirt into the mechanical workings.
Yeah I’ve been super happy with mine, 12k miles and no issues. And a lot of dusty and sandy conditions in the SW.

All this talk of lost keys makes me feel justified for avoiding the push button starts for as long as I did. My Lariat has it , and it has it pros (getting to the the truck after a hike, bike ride, ATV/dirtbike ride, etc. and being able to just have it unlock rather than digging for a key), but my personal preference would have been sticking with a key. In my previous, 10 year old pickup, it was a chipped key, but those were relatively inexpensive to get made and have a spare hidden under the truck. Was also very cheap to have non-chipped spare keys made so one could at least get into the cab or tailgate if you didn't want to hide a chipped key. That would be handy for if you wanted to intentionally lock your keys in the truck and use your cheapo non-chipped key to et back in later. Carrying a key, rather than a fob for pushbutton start, is really nice in multiple situations as it takes up next to no room and can't get smashed like a $300 fob. Buying an extra fob and programming isn't a huge deal, but keeping on in or under the truck or in the camper, and making sure it doesn't have signal (so the truck unlocks or it just sits and wears down the batteries by talking back and forth) is just one more thing to mess. Yeah, not a huge deal, but miss my previous trucks "simple" key situation.

All this talk of lost keys makes me feel justified for avoiding the push button starts for as long as I did. My Lariat has it , and it has it pros (getting to the the truck after a hike, bike ride, ATV/dirtbike ride, etc. and being able to just have it unlock rather than digging for a key), but my personal preference would have been sticking with a key. In my previous, 10 year old pickup, it was a chipped key, but those were relatively inexpensive to get made and have a spare hidden under the truck. Was also very cheap to have non-chipped spare keys made so one could at least get into the cab or tailgate if you didn't want to hide a chipped key. That would be handy for if you wanted to intentionally lock your keys in the truck and use your cheapo non-chipped key to et back in later. Carrying a key, rather than a fob for pushbutton start, is really nice in multiple situations as it takes up next to no room and can't get smashed like a $300 fob. Buying an extra fob and programming isn't a huge deal, but keeping on in or under the truck or in the camper, and making sure it doesn't have signal (so the truck unlocks or it just sits and wears down the batteries by talking back and forth) is just one more thing to mess. Yeah, not a huge deal, but miss my previous trucks "simple" key situation.
Seems like for what you want, an easy solution would be to grab one of those shielding faraday box/bags for your fob, pop it inside, and hide it in the cab somewhere for emergencies (this prevents someone from smashing your window, getting into your truck, and being able to start it up without actually finding the key). Then just make a physical copy of your key (no chip, just something to open the door with) and hide that one under the truck as you would in the past. That basically gets you back to your previous setup, for the cost of a normal key copy and a faraday bag ($10 on amazon).

Seems like for what you want, an easy solution would be to grab one of those shielding faraday box/bags for your fob, pop it inside, and hide it in the cab somewhere for emergencies (this prevents someone from smashing your window, getting into your truck, and being able to start it up without actually finding the key). Then just make a physical copy of your key (no chip, just something to open the door with) and hide that one under the truck as you would in the past. That basically gets you back to your previous setup, for the cost of a normal key copy and a faraday bag ($10 on amazon).
This is my plan going forward. Ordered an extra fob for my truck and the wife's bronco. Will program the fobs and then get the key cut to match. Ordered two faraday pouches and two magnetic key holders. Will store the fob inside the pouch, then hide it inside the cab. The key will go into the magnetic holder and stashed away under the vehicle.

From what I understand reading on the forum, we can self program our key fobs if we have two programmed fobs. So far I have spent $78 (for my truck), only thing left is getting the key cut once it comes in.

Check/test those shielding bags as I've bought two, so far, and neither worked. Meaning they shielded nothing. I put a key inside pouch, walked up to the truck and it unlocked, and truck started up and drove normally. No i did not have the other key anywhere near. Anyone else buy one and it actually shielded fob and truck could not see the key? Have those that suggest them tested theirs? Anyone have a brand or link to one that actually works?

If the ones I bought had worked reliably, the suggestions to keep fob in the cab would seem reasonable. It should be so simple but apparently not.
Anything home made work reliably? Tin foil hats for keys? Ha.

I'll eventually get something to work but my post was simply pointing out how easy key mmanagement was with my chipped key and dumb fob compared to these smart fobs. We pay extra for push button start and smart fobs then spend time and money trying to find a reliable bag to shield them and make them not work. Ha.

Reactions: Oak
Check/test those shielding bags as I've bought two, so far, and neither worked. Meaning they shielded nothing. I put a key inside pouch, walked up to the truck and it unlocked, and truck started up and drove normally. No i did not have the other key anywhere near. Anyone else buy one and it actually shielded fob and truck could not see the key? Have those that suggest them tested theirs? Anyone have a brand or link to one that actually works?

If the ones I bought had worked reliably, the suggestions to keep fob in the cab would seem reasonable. It should be so simple but apparently not.
Anything home made work reliably? Tin foil hats for keys? Ha.

I'll eventually get something to work but my post was simply pointing out how easy key mmanagement was with my chipped key and dumb fob compared to these smart fobs. We pay extra for push button start and smart fobs then spend time and money trying to find a reliable bag to shield them and make them not work. Ha.
Good to know. I've never actually tried one. I just lock my fob inside, use the keypad to get in when I'm back from my hike and leave a club on the steering wheel... I realize that if someone breaks in they can start the truck, and someone could get the club off.. so I'm taking a risk. But seems minimal.

Good to know. I've never actually tried one. I just lock my fob inside, use the keypad to get in when I'm back from my hike and leave a club on the steering wheel... I realize that if someone breaks in they can start the truck, and someone could get the club off.. so I'm taking a risk. But seems minimal.
I used to use my keypad all the time. Locked it once at Autozone while truck was running. Came out and keypad would not work. Luckily there was a dealer not too far away and they got my Vin and sent someone over to unlock it. We opened truck and turned off the key and removed it. Restarted the truck and locked the doors. Keypad worked the next time. Tech had no answers.
Have never used the keypad again on any of my trucks except to push the bottom two buttons to lock it. Could have been a fluke, but that was enough for me.

I used to use my keypad all the time. Locked it once at Autozone while truck was running. Came out and keypad would not work. Luckily there was a dealer not too far away and they got my Vin and sent someone over to unlock it. We opened truck and turned off the key and removed it. Restarted the truck and locked the doors. Keypad worked the next time. Tech had no answers.
Have never used the keypad again on any of my trucks except to push the bottom two buttons to lock it. Could have been a fluke, but that was enough for me.
Yikes. That's scary. I also have my phone which I can unlock it with... so would have to be a scenario where I'm without cell phone coverage as well in order for it to cause a problem...but now that I think about it...often when I park at a trail head I don't have coverage, and that's exactly when I lock my keys inside. Okay, gonna have to rethink this :)

Maybe hiding a physical key just to unlock the door on the outside is a good idea.

Yikes. That's scary. I also have my phone which I can unlock it with... so would have to be a scenario where I'm without cell phone coverage as well in order for it to cause a problem...but now that I think about it...often when I park at a trail head I don't have coverage, and that's exactly when I lock my keys inside. Okay, gonna have to rethink this :)

Maybe hiding a physical key just to unlock the door on the outside is a good idea.
Yes sir. This was in 2014 or so, before the phone app.

Back