Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

Albuquerque is a complete disaster similar to San Francisco and LA. Crime ridden. Tons of stories of folks moving cross country and stop to get fuel or sleep in hotel and they come out to find their entire Uhaul and the vehicle they were towing are gone. Huge crime. Most of those old Cops episodes were filmed there for a reason. I avoid it at all costs.

Santa Fe is nice and a good place to take the wife.
Ok done, no Albuquerque for us, fuck that place. We will not even pass through it. It’s too bad beautiful cities get so crime ridden. What a waste. I will avoid politics but so think we all know why.

Anyway, I’m not ready to lose my truck and camper so we will just hang out in Memphis instead. Hahaha

Absolutely this. I try not to stop there very long in my rigs. Auto theft is massive, and Fords are targets. Had a buddy have to close up his gun shop there after theft become too huge. He kept upping his security measures, and they kept upping their game.
100%. Heading to Chama next week for our annual elk hunt and will cut from Clines Corners to SF just to avoid having to shoot someone. Lol

I used to shoot a ton of LR. Went up to ABQ for a match with some buddies about 6-7 years ago now, and we got a cheap little hole on the wall hotel that you park right outside of. Didn’t think too much of it since we were going to be there a short period of time, and we were all well armed and very proficient with firearms. One evening all 4 of us are hanging outside of our adjoining motel rooms enjoying a beverage and BSing with our doors wide open and rifles right inside the door. A minivan full of “vatos” circled us slowly twice, then pulled in a few doors down and jumped out 6-7 no for goods who eyed us while encircling us. Each one grabbed a rifle and continued the conversation. The no for goods quickly made their way back to the van and promptly left the area. At that point we decided it was best not to hang around any longer than necessary.

I used to shoot a ton of LR. Went up to ABQ for a match with some buddies about 6-7 years ago now, and we got a cheap little hole on the wall hotel that you park right outside of. Didn’t think too much of it since we were going to be there a short period of time, and we were all well armed and very proficient with firearms. One evening all 4 of us are hanging outside of our adjoining motel rooms enjoying a beverage and BSing with our doors wide open and rifles right inside the door. A minivan full of “vatos” circled us slowly twice, then pulled in a few doors down and jumped out 6-7 no for goods who eyed us while encircling us. Each one grabbed a rifle and continued the conversation. The no for goods quickly made their way back to the van and promptly left the area. At that point we decided it was best not to hang around any longer than necessary.
Hahaha wow…. Ok. No ABQ, in fact fuck the SW in general right now! Hahaha. Get me outta here.

That’s awesome you can run the AC during the day and your solar can keep up! That definitely makes it worth while having it installed like you do. How much solar does that OEV have on it?
We have 400w on ours

Well, we didn’t talk time wise but the entire camper is held on by two fastguns. So to take it off you have to bolt the legs to the camper. Unplug the 30A DC/DC power plug, unplug the camera, release the fastguns, and jack it up 4-5” and drive away. I’d bet it comes off in 30 mins by yourself. I think on would be ever so slightly longer since you have to line things back up but once it’s in the channel up front you just lower it into place and plug things back in. For truck campers it is very fast.

Congrats, it looks great! I used to get the FWC off of the PW in under 15 minutes solo, you should be able to do it under 30 minutes no problem. And like the others have said, avoid ABQ at all costs, meth heads and crime run rampant there. San Antonio isn't much better, Super Duty's are a major target there as well. I've had two of my previous SD's broken into there.

Congrats, it looks great! I used to get the FWC off of the PW in under 15 minutes solo, you should be able to do it under 30 minutes no problem. And like the others have said, avoid ABQ at all costs, meth heads and crime run rampant there. San Antonio isn't much better, Super Duty's are a major target there as well. I've had two of my previous SD's broken into there.
Agreed. Tbh I think the only part that will take time is bolting on the legs. If they were on, or left on it’s a 10 min job but carrying those legs around and bolting them all in would take a little time.

Agreed. Tbh I think the only part that will take time is bolting on the legs. If they were on, or left on it’s a 10 min job but carrying those legs around and bolting them all in would take a little time.

Yea the jack legs do have to be attached but that was with attaching those and then running them all the way out with a drill. I needed riser blocks on casters to achieve enough height to get it out of the bed and then roll it around.

Congratulations @TRAMPER !
Looks great both the Tremor and Supertramp.
Cheers 🍻

Thank you for that reply. I think I have seen all of their videos, but never specifically one detailing that process. That helps.

Here is a paste of some Supertramp videos I shared on the Expedition Portal thread.
--------------------

Supertramp has released some new "how to" videos on Vimeo.

Loading Video. This shows Supertramp's proprietary front brackets. Really slick the way the camper pins and bracket interface, holding the front of the camper down without turnbuckles.
vimeo.com/802043427/6ae45b0015?share=copy

Winterization - no blow out or RV Antifreeze needed. All water is gravity released:
vimeo.com/876520106/7675b295ea?share=copy

Last edited:
Well one small SNAFU…

So when we picked it up and we were going over the systems it kind of smelled inside the camper, there are tons of resins and whatnot in the camper so I chalked it up to that. Well, we drove away with the propane turned on (at the tank) and as I was driving with the window down I could hear a beeping alarm from the camper. We stopped for lunch and it briefly went away when I opened the door but when we returned from lunch it was beeping again.. back at the hotel we opened it up aired it all out and I shut the propane bottle and lit the stove until it burned itself out. Closed up the camper again and left it for an hour, no alarms. Went back out to it and opened up the bottle again. After about 5 mins I thought I could smell gas but no alarm so I left it closed up for an hour. Came back alarm blaring…. So long story short we have a propane leak and I’m glad we’re still in Golden! Hopefully a little bottle of snoop and a wrench is all it needs!

Things like this don’t bother me one bit. It’s a very complicated camper and leaks happen! Service from ST will be the only thing I care about. And I’m going to guess they do a great job tomorrow with it!

Great attitude. Simple little things (and sometime BIG things) show up during shakeout and once adjusted/fixed/replaced, are good for the long haul. Too often people freak out and play the "I just paid X amount. It should be perfect!" card. Great way to needlessly stress ones self out and turn a fun event (getting a new camper, pickup, boat, dirtbike, whatever) into a not fun experience. Things happens, but just get it taken care of and then enjoy, like you are doing! I'm in awe of the technology that we use every day and somehow we expect everything to be perfect. I can't believe the average internal combustion engine can operate for more than 30 seconds at idle much less 200,000+ miles at thousands of rpms. Ha.

Like the story told about someone complaining on a commercial flight that was landing a few minutes later than expected..."Get a grip and put things in perspective. You are flying through the sky in a huge metal tube at incredible speeds. 15 minutes late is insignificant in the big picture of what you just did! If you were in a covered wagon, that 4 hour flight would have taken you half a year to complete and half your family would have died by the time your arrived".

Great attitude. Simple little things (and sometime BIG things) show up during shakeout and once adjusted/fixed/replaced, are good for the long haul. Too often people freak out and play the "I just paid X amount. It should be perfect!" card. Great way to needlessly stress ones self out and turn a fun event (getting a new camper, pickup, boat, dirtbike, whatever) into a not fun experience. Things happens, but just get it taken care of and then enjoy, like you are doing! I'm in awe of the technology that we use every day and somehow we expect everything to be perfect. I can't believe the average internal combustion engine can operate for more than 30 seconds at idle much less 200,000+ miles at thousands of rpms. Ha.

Like the story told about someone complaining on a commercial flight that was landing a few minutes later than expected..."Get a grip and put things in perspective. You are flying through the sky in a huge metal tube at incredible speeds. 15 minutes late is insignificant in the big picture of what you just did! If you were in a covered wagon, that 4 hour flight would have taken you half a year to complete and half your family would have died by the time your arrived".
Yeah honestly it doesn’t bother me a bit. It’s just a camper and it has a LOT of fittings, wires, and components. I’m sure they’ll get it sorted tomorrow and we will be gtg. Yes I paid a lot of money for it, and that’s why I’m confident they’ll make it perfect.

This is normal to find something not perfect. There is always something found during the initial shakedown of a camper.

Btw, I have power jacks and power roof, so I can load and unload by myself no problem. It’s a lot harder with manual jacks as tall as a Tremor is.

So we took camper back to ST this morning at 0800, I went over what I did to diagnose that it was indeed a propane leak. They agreed and according to the team pulled out the fridge which gives access to all the gas connections. After snooping it they found a failure on a T connection and repaired/ replaced the bad part and had us on our way before 0900. They were overly apologetic, which I guess is to be expected but they handled it skillfully and quickly and were going to add in some additional checks on their end to ensure it couldn’t happen again. Not sure you can ever fully prevent a failure, but as I said they did a great job making it right!

So we took camper back to ST this morning at 0800, I went over what I did to diagnose that it was indeed a propane leak. They agreed and according to the team pulled out the fridge which gives access to all the gas connections. After snooping it they found a failure on a T connection and repaired/ replaced the bad part and had us on our way before 0900. They were overly apologetic, which I guess is to be expected but they handled it skillfully and quickly and were going to add in some additional checks on their end to ensure it couldn’t happen again. Not sure you can ever fully prevent a failure, but as I said they did a great job making it right!
Sounds like great customer service. Have fun on your trip home.

🥵🥵🥵

Attachments

• IMG_7656.png
    IMG_7656.png
    933.4 KB · Views: 33
IMG_0595.jpeg

First night in the TRAMPER. Some little state park in NM on our way to I-40, super quiet just us and a camp host. Got down to mid 20’s last night truck is pretty frosty. Could not have been more comfortable with the Truma set at 60F. We had a diesel heater in our last camper and I’m shocked just how quiet this Truma is. It’s virtually silent. Camper has been perfect. Again this is coming from a more spartan camper but this this is HUGE! No issue moving around when two people at all. We streamed “Into the Wild” last night on the Ipad via Starlink, because.. well SUPERTRAMP!!!! Felt like it’s something we should do.

Ok done, no Albuquerque for us, fuck that place. We will not even pass through it. It’s too bad beautiful cities get so crime ridden. What a waste. I will avoid politics but so think we all know why.

Anyway, I’m not ready to lose my truck and camper so we will just hang out in Memphis instead. Hahaha
demographics is destiny.

Back