Triple axle vs. dual axle toyhauler Good or bad for a Tremor

Backwoodsrider

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2019 Ford Expedition Max Platinum
Does anyone here with a F350 Tremor tow a toyhauler or RV with a triple axle? I have to work with about 3,100lbs according to the sticker in the door for hitch weight. I get that also includes passenger weight too.

With that being said, who tows with a large rv and how does your truck make out?

Are triple axles meant for duallys? Can a SRW safely tow a triple axle??

The number of axles isn't what determines if your truck can pull it. It's the numbers(weight of trailer vs payload). The pin weight the trailer gives is EPMTY. Final pin weight depends on how and how much you put in the trailer. You haven't given near enough info for the equation.

Hi

I would say if you are going the triple axle toy hauler route you will be over your weights with a SRW truck. You don’t want the tail wagging the dog.

now on towing a tandem vs triple axle, no big deal. The triple axle has more tire tire drag and more maintenance. I would age tires out before I wore tires out

have a good day

Eric

Attachments

• 50CC1642-FD02-4722-A9B9-5FD96603AECE.jpeg
    50CC1642-FD02-4722-A9B9-5FD96603AECE.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 79
The number of axles isn't what determines if your truck can pull it. It's the numbers(weight of trailer vs payload). The pin weight the trailer gives is EPMTY. Final pin weight depends on how and how much you put in the trailer. You haven't given near enough info for the equation.

My question is more of a general question. Just wanna get a comparison between the dual vs. Triple. I want to stay within my sticker weights and towing capacitys.

Im told a triple tows much easier and provides lots of stability when towing vs dual.

My buddy has a triple with the 15' garage its the largest Grand Design toy hauler they make.

He pulls it with a SRW 3500 Chevy. Every weekend with his 4 door UTV. No issues. He had a dual before and switched over to the triple, mainly because he liked the floor plan. He likes the triple now, it handles the weight and weight transfer better.

I would recommend the triple if its within your budget and weight capacity of your truck. NOTE: his Chevy is a SRW 3500 ( 1 ton 4x4 crew cab ) but he has the 8' bed ( long bed ) I don't know if the long bed gives you more capacity. I do believe it will tow better due to the wheel base being longer.

I tow a Grand Design Solitude 41'6" and its a beast at 16K with over 3K pin weight empty. I would think a large toy hauler could weigh in even more. So use caution when deciding on where, and how much you are bringing on your trips.

My buddy has a triple with the 15' garage its the largest Grand Design toy hauler they make.

He pulls it with a SRW 3500 Chevy. Every weekend with his 4 door UTV. No issues. He had a dual before and switched over to the triple, mainly because he liked the floor plan. He likes the triple now, it handles the weight and weight transfer better.

I would recommend the triple if its within your budget and weight capacity of your truck. NOTE: his Chevy is a SRW 3500 ( 1 ton 4x4 crew cab ) but he has the 8' bed ( long bed ) I don't know if the long bed gives you more capacity. I do believe it will tow better due to the wheel base being longer.

I tow a Grand Design Solitude 41'6" and its a beast at 16K with over 3K pin weight empty. I would think a large toy hauler could weigh in even more. So use caution when deciding on where, and how much you are bringing on your trips.

Do you happen to know what his pin weight ends up being with the UTV in the back? Wondering how much weight gets "seesawed" off the pin when it's fully loaded.

Do you happen to know what his pin weight ends up being with the UTV in the back? Wondering how much weight gets "seesawed" off the pin when it's fully loaded.
I don't but was thinking the same thing. His truck does not seem to squat too much.

I have a Can Am Defender Max Limited that is 13.1 feet long about 6.9ft high So in would need a 15 ft garage. It weighs about 2500lbs.

This is the Grand Design 381M I am interested in.

Last edited:
My question is more of a general question. Just wanna get a comparison between the dual vs. Triple. I want to stay within my sticker weights and towing capacitys.

Im told a triple tows much easier and provides lots of stability when towing vs dual.
I’m not into RVs but, given the limited pin weight, it seems like the extra axle would be burning available weight for stuff. I’m fairly certain there are double axle units that exceed the pin weight of the lightest Tremor. Just a thought.

I have a Can Am Defender Max Limited that is 13.1 feet long about 6.9ft high So in would need a 15 ft garage. It weighs about 2500lbs.

This is the Grand Design 381M I am interested in.

I looked into that same Toy hauler. I also looked at the 351M and the 320G. What I learned from the wise dudes on here is that hitch weight will change and become more when you add the generator and other supplies. It does help putting that heavy toy n the back to lessen the added weight to the trailer.
I only have 3050lbs carry weight and didn’t want to take a risk of going over. I do have the 6.7 though. Best of luck. I’m sure your beast can tow it, but being over the load capacity. When I was younger I would have not even hesitated snd gotten that big beautiful Momentum. I did TJFarmer towing that 381M with his Tremor so it can be done.
Best of luck ??????????

Attachments

• E969309D-C61D-45B3-A8E0-CB680600CC33.png
    E969309D-C61D-45B3-A8E0-CB680600CC33.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
I looked into that same Toy hauler. I also looked at the 351M and the 320G. What I learned from the wise dudes on here is that hitch weight will change and become more when you add the generator and other supplies. It does help putting that heavy toy n the back to lessen the added weight to the trailer.
I only have 3050lbs carry weight and didn’t want to take a risk of going over. I do have the 6.7 though. Best of luck. I’m sure your beast can tow it, but being over the load capacity. When I was younger I would have not even hesitated snd gotten that big beautiful Momentum. I did TJFarmer towing that 381M with his Tremor so it can be done.
Best of luck ??????????

B186CBC5-A844-4742-9964-A438C441662E.png

Unless you have a dually 6.7 I would not pull that 381……all is well until it’s not ?

Last edited:
Back