Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

Over the weekend, we brought our camper up to The Boulders at Lake Tyler for some much-needed relaxation and fishing. The RV park was beautiful, and the fishing was great! Our spot was pretty good considering we booked at the last minute, but we plan on reserving a lakeside spot for our next visit. I saw a few other Tremors there as well.

I had the chance to test out the newly installed Timbren Springs during this trip, and I must say, I'm really happy with how they performed. You could really feel the difference they made, particularly when hitting expansion joints or bumps on the road.

View attachment 115465

View from our patio:
View attachment 115466
Man, looks great!

Over the weekend, we brought our camper up to The Boulders at Lake Tyler for some much-needed relaxation and fishing. The RV park was beautiful, and the fishing was great! Our spot was pretty good considering we booked at the last minute, but we plan on reserving a lakeside spot for our next visit. I saw a few other Tremors there as well.

I had the chance to test out the newly installed Timbren Springs during this trip, and I must say, I'm really happy with how they performed. You could really feel the difference they made, particularly when hitting expansion joints or bumps on the road.

View attachment 115465

View from our patio:
View attachment 115466
Nice! That is a big area I have noticed as well - any major road input like that to the trailer really settles down quickly now. Glad you're happy with them... :p

That spot has a great view!

Upgrading to a 2020 MY 5th wheel from my 2018 MY bumper pull. Ordered the B&W turnover ball kit for the Tremor and picking up an Andersen Hitch. Should be ready to tow it home in a week or so once I get those installed.
3D878E01-F702-458C-87E7-74F1C4DCEF31.jpeg
3A823E41-0410-4E71-AC7D-8791052E828E.jpeg

Attachments

• 11567823-C807-4CC1-AA0B-FB1920B00CF9.jpeg
    11567823-C807-4CC1-AA0B-FB1920B00CF9.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 33
What do you all have your trailer bake gain set at? I’m towing 28’ Airstream with 7600 GVWR

Dogs camping over Thanksgiving at Pohick Bay, Va. Jasmine, Black and Red is 12 1/2 years old, while Jake, Dark Sable male, just turned 4 years old.
328E61E4-6C3C-44E0-A4EF-302032422BDC.jpeg

Trailer and Tremor at Lake Anna State Park, VA last weekend…60 yo birthday camping trip.
95ED4086-AAA9-44E6-A72C-3BDA9A878070.jpeg

Wife at the Breeo campfire Lake Anna when it wasn’t too cold or windy.
F7CEAA8C-E1F6-4EE6-B9F5-477E5F115A5B.jpeg

What a life!!!

PS. First major tow, two hours each way. F250 Platti Tremor 7.3 towed like a Champ, couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:
Dogs camping over Thanksgiving at Pohick Bay, Va. Jasmine, Black and Red is 12 1/2 years old, while Jake, Dark Sable male, just turned 4 years old.View attachment 115521

Trailer and Tremor at Lake Anna State Park, VA last weekend…60 yo birthday camping trip.
View attachment 115522

Wife at the Breeo campfire Lake Anna when it wasn’t too cold or windy.
View attachment 115523

What a life!!!

PS. First major tow, two hours each way. F250 Platti Tremor 7.3 towed like a Champ, couldn’t be happier.
Now it’s time for a Titan Sidekick 15 gallon external tank for extended range…got 9.4mpg on the mostly flat tow at 65mph-ish.

What do you all have your trailer bake gain set at? I’m towing 28’ Airstream with 7600 GVWR
Mine set to Low (effort) and (gain) 4-4.5. I also have a 28ft Airstream.

Last edited:
Now it’s time for a Titan Sidekick 15 gallon external tank for extended range…got 9.4mpg on the mostly flat tow at 65mph-ish.
I considered that but ended up with two 5.5 gallon Wavian Jerry cans mounted to Builtright racks. I wanted to be sure I could still use the bed for 4' wide wood, drywall, etc...

30 foot trailer 9k gvw. My gain is 4.5 don't really understand where it should be
I’ve always picked a setting by driving at low speed, taking my foot off the gas and apply the trailer brake by hand until I feel drag, the trailer brakes engaging sufficiently. With this trailer it felt right at 6.
Coming home a couple weeks ago while pulling the trailer, traffic came to a sudden stop. I was going about 55-60 when several cars up ahead of me traded paint. I applied brakes as hard as I could and was expecting the trailer to pass me.
Tremor and trailer survived but I almost needed to change my shorts. I’m sticking with 6.

4 here with a 25' GT FBQ. I did have it turned up as high as 6 when driving down some of the sketchier parts of the PCH.

Your gain setting will also depend on how new & well maintained your trailer is. The brakes on the trailer need to adjusted periodically to keep them tight. Worn trailer brakes will make you turn your gain higher to get more stopping from them. I thought I was turning my gain too high, 7+, for a 9,500# trailer. Did some researching & discovered it was likely the trailer brakes, they aren't self adjusting. Adjust the brakes & all is good now.

I have a 24' ATC (30' overall length) - empty it weighs 6,700 +.- towing empty I run 3.5 or 4.0 - when loaded with my RZR, full of water, fuel etc. for a trip we are at just over 10k - run at 5.0.

This week I was towing home in the rain and it was empty - truck gain was still on 5.0 from last trip loaded - trailer brakes would lock up quick at that gain in the wet - went to 3.5 and it was back to normal.

After debating on a direction for running our RV fridge I pulled the trigger today... Main concern is we have it at a storage lot and can't really pre-cool it before taking a trip. What we did last year was load up a cooler and transfer everything when we got to our destination. Worked fine but required the acquisition of ice. Not a huge problem as I just got it when I was filling up the truck the night before.

Choices were:

1) Run on propane while driving, although there is debate about whether this is a good idea or not. I'm leaning towards the camp that would rather be safe then sorry.
2) Swap the 110/propane fridge in the RV for a 12 V model (~$2k)
3) Pure sine inverter, DCDC charger, wiring (truck and RV), plus misc fuses, switches, etc (~$1100)
4) Purchase an electric cooler ($300-1200)

Ok, lots of variables here... My assumption is that our solar and (2) battery setup would support option #2 while driving, based on the published draw of an equivalent sized 12V fridge. That may work for number #3 with a short trip, but for a longer trip would either require additional batteries or the DCDC charger.

The cooler option was intriguing because it gives us some redundancy if the RV fridge ever has an issue and avoids having to constantly get ice. It also allows us to use it with just the truck as another option. I had given some thought to the console fridge in the past.

Dometic is having a Spring sale so I went with the CFX3 55im which also has an ice maker. I also purchased two of the Dometic power ports and will install one in the bed and one in the RV. The house batteries and solar will support this without an issue. There are cheaper options out there but I don't want to find out the saving wasn't worth the hassle. It ended up being about $1000 with free shipping.

The reality is that I probably will install an inverter long term, anyway, but want to take some additional trips to figure out our needs and then size accordingly. Even with this the Dometic will serve as a backup, just in case...

Last edited:
I've been driving with the propane fridge running for the past 15 years. The camper is also plugged in to our house when we are home. I couldn't imagine waiting for it to cool down once we got to the site. Especially the freezer.

The camper is also plugged in to our house when we are home.
For now that's our issue, until we move to a place where can store our camper onsite. We really don't pack a huge amount of food so my solution will work until the RV fridge is at temp.

Back