Tremor vs Full size bed 7.3 FX4

Wanabxtrm

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
CG
Current Ride
F150 HD
So I have a heavy duty payload package FX4 SCREW 2016 F150 (fully paid off). Almost convinced both myself and the missus that moving up and taking on a new car loan for a super duty is the right call after doing some weighing and math on payload today.

illustration A:
408FF60F-A678-4A94-A401-92B831C552EB.jpeg

I’ve spec’d out a 7.3 Lariat Tremor previously and am sold on it except for one area -range. Because of this I am debating between a equivalent FX4 with camper/plow prep and the 8’ bed to get the bigger tank; and the extra bed space is a plus.

My debate: is the extra ~18” bigger bed, associated negative turning radius (I’m military currently in a city; likely will return to dealing with suburbia at some point with some country living on either side) and lack of front limited slip worth the extra gas??

Plus sides include the camper cert and plow programming that the tremor isn’t offered with, along with higher tow rating.

I can swap up to better/bigger tires and suspension easy enough to mirror tremor but lose the warranty.

Never owned a 8’ bed; and never thought I’d need one. But the more I think of it the more I see the practicality; and the daily frustration of an enormous length. But to be clear; if 7.3 had better MPG or a bigger tank I’d probably not be in this quagmire. Turning an 8’ bed around on a USFS road is nigh impossible; but so is the 6&3/4’ so is it really that big a problem?

Appreciate any thoughts or perspective from those who can provide it.

So I have a heavy duty payload package FX4 SCREW 2016 F150 (fully paid off). Almost convinced both myself and the missus that moving up and taking on a new car loan for a super duty is the right call after doing some weighing and math on payload today.

illustration A:View attachment 4098

I’ve spec’d out a 7.3 Lariat Tremor previously and am sold on it except for one area -range. Because of this I am debating between a equivalent FX4 with camper/plow prep and the 8’ bed to get the bigger tank; and the extra bed space is a plus.

My debate: is the extra ~18” bigger bed, associated negative turning radius (I’m military currently in a city; likely will return to dealing with suburbia at some point with some country living on either side) and lack of front limited slip worth the extra gas??

Plus sides include the camper cert and plow programming that the tremor isn’t offered with, along with higher tow rating.

I can swap up to better/bigger tires and suspension easy enough to mirror tremor but lose the warranty.

Never owned a 8’ bed; and never thought I’d need one. But the more I think of it the more I see the practicality; and the daily frustration of an enormous length. But to be clear; if 7.3 had better MPG or a bigger tank I’d probably not be in this quagmire. Turning an 8’ bed around on a USFS road is nigh impossible; but so is the 6&3/4’ so is it really that big a problem?

Appreciate any thoughts or perspective from those who can provide it.

Hello from Southern Maryland and i know the city driving but what if you need payload go F350 my fully loaded lariat 6.7 has a payload of 3300 lbs and the 7.3 can hit 4000 lbs of payload with the 6.75 bed, the F350 with 6.7 can tow 21k on 5th wheel i wouldn't do a 8 ft bed i don't need it to tow and move every few years but if your really going to use a 8 ft bed every day i don't see a point of getting the 8 ft bed and if you need towing then go for the 8 ft bed but the tremor is already 22 ft long already and having this huge of a truck is a problem in md and dc area as you can't make u turns you have to do smart turn arounds and

Do you really need the crew cab? You could go F×4 long bed with the super cab instead of crew to shorten it up some and still get the bigger tank?

That ends up being a long wheel base. Great on road trips, hard to park or go thru the drive thru.
You can lift any FX4 even better than the Tremor if you wanted to. But if you gain extra payload ( with FX4) then swap in a lift kit you may have an unknown ammout of payload.

The 250 bed is 81.6 inches or 6.8 ft.

If you want range get a normal 250 or the diesel.

Another bonus of the long bed is payload with the 350 7.3 should be around 4500lb. I've about convinced myself I'll have to forgo the tremor and get the LB for the fifth wheel we want.

So what are you going to be towing? What kind of range are you looking for? You can put a transfer tank in the bed that can be used for gas just cant be gravity fed into factory tank like a diesel...will need to stop and pump it in.

Do you really need the crew cab? You could go F×4 long bed with the super cab instead of crew to shorten it up some and still get the bigger tank?
3 kids, a big ole chocolate Lab; and plenty of outdoor gear so the crew cab is definitely yes. The bed is the question.

So what are you going to be towing? What kind of range are you looking for? You can put a transfer tank in the bed that can be used for gas just cant be gravity fed into factory tank like a diesel...will need to stop and pump it in.
I’ve got a toy hauler/camper now; ~900 tongue weight. I see a horse trailer and possibly 5th wheel or large camper in the future as the kids out grow ours and we settle in an area. I’d rather future proof myself more with the cost of these trucks these days. Planning on a pop top shell on the back like the 4wheelcamper project M.

Towing range I’d prefer above 400; based on the numbers I’m seeing the 7.3 will be in the 350s. I realize the diesel would get me there but would prefer the simplicity of the gas.

I’ve got a toy hauler/camper now; ~900 tongue weight. I see a horse trailer and possibly 5th wheel or large camper in the future as the kids out grow ours and we settle in an area. I’d rather future proof myself more with the cost of these trucks these days. Planning on a pop top shell on the back like the 4wheelcamper project M.

Towing range I’d prefer above 400; based on the numbers I’m seeing the 7.3 will be in the 350s. I realize the diesel would get me there but would prefer the simplicity of the gas.

Wow you have quite a range of options there. Sounds like a long bed crew cab F350 7.3 is your best bet and build it up for off road as you go. Good luck.

Switching to the diesel would get your better fuel economy, would allow you to keep the short bed, help you when towing. A rotopax or jerry can with diesel is safer than one with gas if you want to add an extra 50 miles or peace of mind.

Latest Discussions

Back