Tremor shock upgrade

Tremor1

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Howdy. Is anyone disappointed with the stock Tremor shocks? Are they really a big upgrade from the off-road FX4 shocks? Any recommendations on what you would replace them with?

I have never had the ranchos that come on the FX4 but I am currently happy with mine. If you have had premo shocks in the past I wouldn't think these would compete but from a factory installed oem standpoint I am happy.

I'll most likely be replacing them with Fox ones. Haven't been able to find a part number yet.
I have the Fox 2.0's on my 15 F350.....and really like them.

Any updated info on this topic? Would
like to upgrade as well.

Any updated info on this topic? Would
like to upgrade as well.
What kind of longevity are you willing to live with? The seamy underbelly of all these shock 'upgrades' is that they require far more maintenance that no one actually does.

For example, it seems no one reads to the back of the Fox installation manual where it states that their shocks need to be rebuilt between 10,000 and 50,000 miles, depending upon use. That's not unique to Fox. The same is true with King, Icon, and the like.

Ford has spent more money designing shocks than Fox has ever made. I'd trust them to do what they do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 7.36.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 7.36.29 AM.png
    492.7 KB · Views: 1,260
I have no complaints with ride quality/shocks of my stock Tremor. Best riding/driving Super Duty I have ever owned. However my previous ones with the Rancho sticker, I replaced with Bilsteins.

The Tremor factory struts are quite a bit beefier than what you'll find on an FX-4 or lesser trim truck. They're tuned for all-around performance and do that quite well but that means they're not going to do specialized activities to the same degree that you'll find w/ King or other aftermarket options. I expect that they might experience heat fatigue if you had to do long fast whoops out west... also the truck is so heavy that it likely would bottom out the suspension if you were flying down the road.

I'd say certainly that the Tremor suspension is certainly an upgrade over the FX-4 OEM equipment.

I'm going to install my fox 2.0 performance shocks with reservoirs sometime after Christmas. Hopefully this weekend. I'll let yall know how I like them.

Howdy. Is anyone disappointed with the stock Tremor shocks? Are they really a big upgrade from the off-road FX4 shocks? Any recommendations on what you would replace them with?
they are better then the rancho i have on my jeep and f150 .... idk who they are by .... but with tires at 50psi... it is a smooth ride and i love how big the truck is but it is smooth

I got excited and decided to put the shocks on today. I didn't have all of my good tools so the job was a slight pain in the ass. Drives about the same but handles big bumps much better. Keep in mind the outside temp is 50° and the shocks aren't broken in so they will get better. I noticed a slight clunk while braking over bumps, it seems like just the shock clunking which is normal for shocks like these. Of course they also look baller. I had to remove the wheel well liner on the passenger side to take the top bolt out and that was a pain, also couldn't re install one of the liner fasteners since the carli resivoir mount blocks the area. The install was especially tricky since I have a spacer lift. I also noticed that with the spacer lift at full droop my 4x4 vacuum line disconnected, the axle vent tube was under stress, the brake lines were stressed even with drop brackets, and the sway bar ball joints are maxed out.
20201225_112546.jpg
20201225_143535.jpg
20201225_151104.jpg
20201225_192241.jpg
20201225_155640.jpg

I got excited and decided to put the shocks on today. I didn't have all of my good tools so the job was a slight pain in the ass. Drives about the same but handles big bumps much better. Keep in mind the outside temp is 50° and the shocks aren't broken in so they will get better. I noticed a slight clunk while braking over bumps, it seems like just the shock clunking which is normal for shocks like these. Of course they also look baller. I had to remove the wheel well liner on the passenger side to take the top bolt out and that was a pain, also couldn't re install one of the liner fasteners since the carli resivoir mount blocks the area. The install was especially tricky since I have a spacer lift. I also noticed that with the spacer lift at full droop my 4x4 vacuum line disconnected, the axle vent tube was under stress, the brake lines were stressed even with drop brackets, and the sway bar ball joints are maxed out.View attachment 12453View attachment 12454View attachment 12455View attachment 12456View attachment 12457
Do you know the lengths of the factory shocks?

Do you know the lengths of the factory shocks?
I can get you the length of them. They are not long enough to fit a leveled truck without drop barckets

I don't see the point of redoing the entire suspension on a Tremor. Why bother getting a Tremor just to modify it anyway? Why not start out with a regular Super Duty rather than spending the extra $3995.... Just my 2 cents.

I can get you the length of them. They are not long enough to fit a leveled truck without drop barckets
My truck is all stock. I want to replace the stock shocks. I just dont know if the tremor has longer shocks than a non tremor F-250.

Changing shocks is not "redoing the entire suspension."

I got excited and decided to put the shocks on today. I didn't have all of my good tools so the job was a slight pain in the ass. Drives about the same but handles big bumps much better. Keep in mind the outside temp is 50° and the shocks aren't broken in so they will get better. I noticed a slight clunk while braking over bumps, it seems like just the shock clunking which is normal for shocks like these. Of course they also look baller. I had to remove the wheel well liner on the passenger side to take the top bolt out and that was a pain, also couldn't re install one of the liner fasteners since the carli resivoir mount blocks the area. The install was especially tricky since I have a spacer lift. I also noticed that with the spacer lift at full droop my 4x4 vacuum line disconnected, the axle vent tube was under stress, the brake lines were stressed even with drop brackets, and the sway bar ball joints are maxed out.View attachment 12453View attachment 12454View attachment 12455View attachment 12456View attachment 12457
I never heard of it being normal for shocks to clunk? I had Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks on my 2009 6.4l and they were great , rode great and were totally quiet. I would check your mounting hardware. I originally had Bilstein Reservoir shocks, they rusted up badly and only lasted about 25k before 3 of them puked out. Fox was on my truck when I sold it and had 40k on them still going strong!

My truck is all stock. I want to replace the stock shocks. I just dont know if the tremor has longer shocks than a non tremor F-250.

Changing shocks is not "redoing the entire suspension."

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I want to change out my shocks to FOX or King, but don't need mess with the rest of the suspension.

I never heard of it being normal for shocks to clunk? I had Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks on my 2009 6.4l and they were great , rode great and were totally quiet. I would check your mounting hardware. I originally had Bilstein Reservoir shocks, they rusted up badly and only lasted about 25k before 3 of them puked out. Fox was on my truck when I sold it and had 40k on them still going strong!
It's a common thing for high performance shocks. I checked everything and tightened the upper bolt with bushings, still does it but maybe not as bad with close to 700 miles on them.

It's a common thing for high performance shocks. I checked everything and tightened the upper bolt with bushings, still does it but maybe not as bad with close to 700 miles on them.
Not trying to argue with you but I would be surprised if people would put up with a clunk after spending that much $. Maybe I am wrong.

Back