Tremor package NOT accepted?

Correct. Rock Crawl mode is Tremor exclusive for Super Duty’s - was introduced to the Super Duty with the Tremor. The others will all be there, though (slippery, sand, mud and ruts, etc).

Honestly forget if crawl/trail control (whatever they call it) is Tremor only.
I suppose I should note that I don’t know if Rock Crawl mode can be enabled through ForScan. That could be worth researching before making a decision if it’s important to you.

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, but I think most folks on the forum either don’t care a huge amount about it or have a Tremor and therefore already have it.

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, but I think most folks on the forum either don’t care a huge amount about it or have a Tremor and therefore already have it.
Which brings me to another question. How does this community use their Tremors? Do most of you use them like any other 4x4 or do you use them more than others for off roading? I'm really not an off road enthusiast, but I expect to get off the pavement often and want the capability anytime the opportunity presents itself. I'll also use the towing and traction improvements for lots of situations. In other words, it's not a commuter 4x4. How about the rest of you?

Funny, my 350 rides better than my 07 f150 ever did. I guess opinions vary on that one.

Have never had a F150 to compare to. But any comparisons aside, the Tremor is *rough* on rough roads. Especially below highway speeds.

More than tolerable, particularly for the driver. But rough. Rough. Rough.

Which brings me to another question. How does this community use their Tremors? Do most of you use them like any other 4x4 or do you use them more than others for off roading? I'm really not an off road enthusiast, but I expect to get off the pavement often and want the capability anytime the opportunity presents itself. I'll also use the towing and traction improvements for lots of situations. In other words, it's not a commuter 4x4. How about the rest of you?

Anecdotally, the majority use case here seems to be towing recreational trailers, and getting onto unpaved (camp/park) roads.

The rock crawling faction seems small, and most of them seem to be running Carli suspensions with 17s and onboard compressors.

Then there’s a small faction who are towing farm equipment off-road (but not through rock gardens.) Most of them seem stock, probably so as to not mess with towing capacity/geometry.

Then there’s a meaningful faction that seem to mostly keep it on the pavement. A lot of them seem to be running 18s or 20s on basic lift kits or Carli commuter packages. Going for style points.

Most seem to be using the truck as a daily driver no matter their requisite use case.

So what leaf pack do you use for the rear?

I’m still stock, but here’s a recent thread asking about options:

Soop summed up the forum really well.

Here’s my thoughts on the necessity of rock crawl mode. For context I don’t have my Tremor yet, and my use case is using forest roads to get into remote areas to see them and camp. I’ve driven most of the WABDR already and want to drive the other BDRs over time.

Based on my experience with my F-150 (open differentials, no off road modes, stock except for tires) you can go a long ways with no aides beyond a set of all terrain tires. Driver skill and experience matters most by far.

If you’re sticking to marked forest roads (even un-maintained or particularly rough/remote ones), then IMO the off road mode isn’t necessary. Will I ever turn it on? Probably since I’ll have it. Will I ever need it? Highly doubt it. Did it sell me on the Tremor? Not at all.

Soop summed up the forum really well.

Here’s my thoughts on the necessity of rock crawl mode. For context I don’t have my Tremor yet, and my use case is using forest roads to get into remote areas to see them and camp. I’ve driven most of the WABDR already and want to drive the other BDRs over time.

Based on my experience with my F-150 (open differentials, no off road modes, stock except for tires) you can go a long ways with no aides beyond a set of all terrain tires. Driver skill and experience matters most by far.

If you’re sticking to marked forest roads (even un-maintained or particularly rough/remote ones), then IMO the off road mode isn’t necessary. Will I ever turn it on? Probably since I’ll have it. Will I ever need it? Highly doubt it. Did it sell me on the Tremor? Not at all.

Seconded. I’ve yet to use it even crossing streams and going up rocky washed out forest trails.

In any scenario I can imagine needing it (like crawling boulders in Moab) I’d be wishing for more rubber and a softer suspension. And probably a cheaper truck that I wouldn’t be sad about damaging. ?

This is a jack of all trades, master of only towing truck.

I fully agree with CCW.
For me most of my use is unmaintained dirt roads and deep back up in the mountains of Oregon.
That being said, it will tow my 9k GVW trailer and a smaller hauling trailer for dirt etc for our property.
Is it the Rock Crawl mode that will sell me? no. It's mostly the fact that as a stock tremor it will come with most of the things I would be doing on my own. Leveling Kit, Larger tires, heavy springs in the back, upgraded rear diff (f250) etc.
It isn't a tow monster and it isn't an offroad beast, but it gives me the blend of the two that is enough for my use case. The FX4 would cost me more to have the same addon's that I'm seeing on the Tremor package.

I fully agree with CCW.
For me most of my use is unmaintained dirt roads and deep back up in the mountains of Oregon.
That being said, it will tow my 9k GVW trailer and a smaller hauling trailer for dirt etc for our property.
Is it the Rock Crawl mode that will sell me? no. It's mostly the fact that as a stock tremor it will come with most of the things I would be doing on my own. Leveling Kit, Larger tires, heavy springs in the back, upgraded rear diff (f250) etc.
It isn't a tow monster and it isn't an offroad beast, but it gives me the blend of the two that is enough for my use case. The FX4 would cost me more to have the same addon's that I'm seeing on the Tremor package.
Yeah, this is me. I'm interested in the Tremor for the same reasons. But Ford isn't making an XLT Tremor so what do I do? I don't need the extra bling that a Lariat will give me so it's hard to pay the premium price just to get the Tremor.

Yeah, this is me. I'm interested in the Tremor for the same reasons. But Ford isn't making an XLT Tremor so what do I do? I don't need the extra bling that a Lariat will give me so it's hard to pay the premium price just to get the Tremor.

I honestly don't think there's any advantage to the Tremor for the use case described other than the mud tires. And they're not free.

So I'd say, if you are inclined to have aftermarket wheels/tires/suspension in any case, and you don't want to wait for a truck, get what's available and you'll be perfectly happy. In the end you'll have a truck a little bit nicer looking and a little bit more capable than a Tremor anyway.

But if you want to keep your truck 100% stock, and don't mind waiting, get a Tremor.

Also, saying again, Ford is making XLT Tremor's. Whatever you're hearing from your dealer is most likely their own incompetence or scheming.

The scheduling issues right now apply to ALL trims. Not just XLT's. And they're temporary. Orders are getting in. Trucks are getting made. Just slowly.

I honestly don't think there's any advantage to the Tremor for the use case described other than the mud tires. And they're not free.

So I'd say, if you are inclined to have aftermarket wheels/tires/suspension in any case, and you don't want to wait for a truck, get what's available and you'll be perfectly happy. In the end you'll have a truck a little bit nicer looking and a little bit more capable than a Tremor anyway.

But if you want to keep your truck 100% stock, and don't mind waiting, get a Tremor.
I'm with you on that one.
I want the XLT but have been looking at the Lariat for a couple of features the wife likes.
And to smooth it out a touch i'm looking at the sulastic shackles. From what i've read they don't mess with your towing capacity but soften things up a touch on the rough. Wife has a bad back.

Today I drive mostly on sand / 4x4 beaches with a jeep gladiator and it’s great. Technically you just need the low range and the clearance. However, there’s a big difference in how a truck feels out on the soft stuff depending on its mission. My father in-law’s ram 1500 did not make him happy out there. It had low range and enough clearance, but the suspension felt like crap. Worse yet it made him feel like he was going to break something on his truck. I haven’t driven one to know, but I’m betting that the Tremor won’t feel like that. It may be a rougher ride, but I don’t expect to be worried about breaking the truck. I don’t do any hard core off-roading in my jeep and I won’t be doing anything much more than that with my Tremor. The hope is I get all the utility of a super duty for towing/payload and still have a solid truck to take off-road in the way I do with my gladiator today. Oh and that V8…yeah. ?

If oyu are only looking for an XLT look on autotrader there are a couple for sale

Back