TREMOR FRONT SUSPENSION TESTING

Klutch

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor F350 6.7L
I did some experimenting with the front suspension and found some interesting details. I'm coming from a 2017 CCLB that had a 3.5 ready lift and 37's on 20 inch rims and since I got my f350 tremor, i've been missing the ride of my 2017.

I installed Carli full leaf packs and PMF drop shackles to get the rear riding the way I want it.

But for the front, I was confused as to why it rode worse than my 2017. Yes my 17 had 37's but with 20 inch rims, my Tremor has Cooper 35's with 18 inch rims aired to 50psi all round so those should cancel each other out.

I got looking into the front coils, my 2017 had 5600lb. rated coils(the way Ford rates them) and best I can tell, my tremor has 5200lb. coils. So why does the tremor ride worse? This got me researching further, and as I understand it, the 2017-19 trucks use a 1 inch taller coil than the 2020's. So I ordered a set of code t 5200lb. coils for a 2017 truck. Installed on my tremor and voila, rides way better. But why? If they are both 5200lb coils? The tremor coils have 9 coils and .715 inch diameter steal, the 2017 has 8 coils and .695 inch diameter steal. Hard to determine why the difference especially as I don't understand how ford rates their coils.

Another interesting thing is the height of these coils. The tremor coil free length in 20.5 inches, the 2017 coil is 20 inches. And when I installed them I did see a loss of half inch in ride height. The info out there says the tremor only has a half inch lift and the tires made up the rest of the advertised 2 inches of height increase over a standard truck. This never made sense to me. From what I can see is there is a half inch suspension height increase over the 17-19 trucks, and since the 20's use a 1 inch shorter spring than the 17-19's, there is a 1.5 inch increase over a 2020 truck.

I did some experimenting with the front suspension and found some interesting details. I'm coming from a 2017 CCLB that had a 3.5 ready lift and 37's on 20 inch rims and since I got my f350 tremor, i've been missing the ride of my 2017.

I installed Carli full leaf packs and PMF drop shackles to get the rear riding the way I want it.

But for the front, I was confused as to why it rode worse than my 2017. Yes my 17 had 37's but with 20 inch rims, my Tremor has Cooper 35's with 18 inch rims aired to 50psi all round so those should cancel each other out.

I got looking into the front coils, my 2017 had 5600lb. rated coils(the way Ford rates them) and best I can tell, my tremor has 5200lb. coils. So why does the tremor ride worse? This got me researching further, and as I understand it, the 2017-19 trucks use a 1 inch taller coil than the 2020's. So I ordered a set of code t 5200lb. coils for a 2017 truck. Installed on my tremor and voila, rides way better. But why? If they are both 5200lb coils? The tremor coils have 9 coils and .715 inch diameter steal, the 2017 has 8 coils and .695 inch diameter steal. Hard to determine why the difference especially as I don't understand how ford rates their coils.

Another interesting thing is the height of these coils. The tremor coil free length in 20.5 inches, the 2017 coil is 20 inches. And when I installed them I did see a loss of half inch in ride height. The info out there says the tremor only has a half inch lift and the tires made up the rest of the advertised 2 inches of height increase over a standard truck. This never made sense to me. From what I can see is there is a half inch suspension height increase over the 17-19 trucks, and since the 20's use a 1 inch shorter spring than the 17-19's, there is a 1.5 inch increase over a 2020 truck.

This is interesting. Thanks for the write up. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the Carli leaf packs over any of the other brands? I am eventually going to change out the rear springs as well.

Thanks!

C

What do you mean ride better? Was it just different or more plush? It seems your basing your entire opinion on ride height, maybe thinking taller is better?

From what ive hear is the Tremor is 2 inches taller. The 20 sd is 1 inch lower than 17-19 sd meaning the tremor is 1 inch taller than last year.
What is the 19 sd fx4 ground clearance? What is the non tremor ground clearance on the 20?

This is interesting. Thanks for the write up. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the Carli leaf packs over any of the other brands? I am eventually going to change out the rear springs as well.

Thanks!

C

It was a toss up between the ones Carli offer and the ones pmf offers. I just chose Carli in case I want a bit of lift in the future to run 37s. At that point I would want a complete kit from one manufacturer.

What do you mean ride better? Was it just different or more plush? It seems your basing your entire opinion on ride height, maybe thinking taller is better?

From what ive hear is the Tremor is 2 inches taller. The 20 sd is 1 inch lower than 17-19 sd meaning the tremor is 1 inch taller than last year.
What is the 19 sd fx4 ground clearance? What is the non tremor ground clearance on the 20?
Ride height has nothing to do with what I was after. I was wanting a better ride, similar to my 2017. You can achieve ride height any number of ways. With the springs I currently have installed, it seems to ride similar to my 2017. Less harsh, more plush.
The rest of my post was only interesting info I stumbled upon and how it relates to other info out there regarding height etc. That's all.

Ride height has nothing to do with what I was after. I was wanting a better ride, similar to my 2017. You can achieve ride height any number of ways. With the springs I currently have installed, it seems to ride similar to my 2017. Less harsh, more plush.
The rest of my post was only interesting info I stumbled upon and how it relates to other info out there regarding height etc. That's all.
You feel the tremor ride is too stiff then?
Do you like the stock ride of your 17 or the ride after 3.5 lift on your 17 better?

You feel the tremor ride is too stiff then?
Do you like the stock ride of your 17 or the ride after 3.5 lift on your 17 better?

I liked the ride of my 17 better. The tremor wasn't too stiff, just stiffer and a little more jarring. Which was more noticeable after I had the Carli leafs installed.
The 3.5 lift was just a coil spacer on the stock coils. Long beds do ride quite a bit better than short beds too. Which my 17 was.
I think the long beds make the factory leafs much more tolerable.

I liked the ride of my 17 better. The tremor wasn't too stiff, just stiffer and a little more jarring. Which was more noticeable after I had the Carli leafs installed.
The 3.5 lift was just a coil spacer on the stock coils. Long beds do ride quite a bit better than short beds too. Which my 17 was.
I think the long beds make the factory leafs much more tolerable.
Interesting.

I did find the ground clearance on the 19 4x4 crew short bed. The truck should be 1 inch taller than the my 2020 and 1 inch shorter than the 20 Tremor.

Tremor GC: 10.8
19 4x4 cc sb: 8.2
Ground clearance in the Tremor is about 2.5 inches higher.

Interesting.

I did find the ground clearance on the 19 4x4 crew short bed. The truck should be 1 inch taller than the my 2020 and 1 inch shorter than the 20 Tremor.

Tremor GC: 10.8
19 4x4 cc sb: 8.2
Ground clearance in the Tremor is about 2.5 inches higher.
Hmmm that's interesting as well.

Latest Discussions

Back