Tremor Flatbed Pop-up Camper Build

bcpnick

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Tremor 7.3 Lariat Blackout
Hey all,

Just thought I'd finally say hello. I've been lurking around for a few months while I wait for my Tremor to get built. It's an F350 Lariat carbonized grey, blackout with the winch option. I'm not sure if this has been done much with the Tremor yet, but I'll be doing an unusual build with mine. I have a MITS Alloy aluminum flatbed ute tray on it's way here from Australia right now to put on it. I'm also talking to the installer (Mule) about making a custom rear winch mount. Not just for off roading, but so that I can use it to pull my whitewater raft out of the river and onto my trailer! And then on that flatbed I'll be putting a Bison Overland pop-up camper that is getting made right now down in Tulsa. I ordered it as an empty shell and I am doing all of the interior construction, making it an all-electric camper that should be able to run for at least 4-5 days in the shade without turning on the engine or plugging in. In the end, it should look a bit like this mediocre photoshop job I did with someone else's truck from on here (I can't remember who's truck it is, but thanks for the photo!).

Anyway, I'm sure I'm gonna have a lot of questions for this group once I actually get the truck, so I wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for your posts!

3-With-Bison.jpg

Thanks! I ordered mine with the bed though. Very good since I'll have a 4-6 weeks between truck delivery and flatbed tray install. I'll hang onto it for a while and maybe sell it in a year or two.

Thanks! I ordered mine with the bed though. Very good since I'll have a 4-6 weeks between truck delivery and flatbed tray install. I'll hang onto it for a while and maybe sell it in a year or two.
I think the 3rd link shows how to de-bed the truck properly! Just trying to share my info!

I hope you have good pros... I never trust shop monkeys to follow installation instructions or read the spec details! Good luck and happy building to you! Looks like a fantastic project, can't wait for the build details!!!

I hope you have good pros... I never trust shop monkeys to follow installation instructions or read the spec details! Good luck and happy building to you! Looks like a fantastic project, can't wait for the build details!!!

Yeah, they're great. Mule Expedition Outfitters in Oregon/Washington. They do a lot of flatbed installs for overland rigs like this. I'll drop 'em that link though just in case.

Yeah, they're great. Mule Expedition Outfitters in Oregon/Washington. They do a lot of flatbed installs for overland rigs like this. I'll drop 'em that link though just in case.

Good thinking... never hurts to provide people extra info that they think they don't need (most will ignore it anyhow) ... I run into that issue all the time in my job (life experience is priceless) and I find that providing people with information overload makes them pause and think about their task and if they are doing it correctly. If they ignore something, at least you can go back and say that you sent them the mfg instructions of how they should have done it.

Your truck is going to be awesome. I think the Bison might be better than the FWC flatbed. I saw a guy on Mules Instagram that has the same setup as yours. I have a new FWC Hawk in my garage, waiting on a new Tremor
Good luck!!

Thanks! I owned a 2018 FWC Hawk for a little over 2 years. I had it on a Tundra and just sold that rig in November. It was great but I am definitely excited about building my own interior and systems just the way I want them. Great choice on the Tremor to carry your Hawk. My Tundra was modified to handle the weight well, but it still worried me being over sticker by so much. This was my rig:

IMG_9110.jpeg

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_3913.jpeg

This is a gorgeous build you're working on! I had looked into Bison as well; they do really cool work!

I'm curious, what wet weight do you expect your completed rig to roughly fall at? I'm also building out a dedicated truck camper rig and will end up around 9,900 lbs fully loaded, full tanks. I've been debating going with the Tremor-specific Warn winch option but am concerned about the 12k rating. I'm really torn as to whether I'll need to go for the 16.5ti or if I can get away with the 12k Warn winch and keep a cleaner, stock front.

This is a gorgeous build you're working on! I had looked into Bison as well; they do really cool work!

I'm curious, what wet weight do you expect your completed rig to roughly fall at? I'm also building out a dedicated truck camper rig and will end up around 9,900 lbs fully loaded, full tanks. I've been debating going with the Tremor-specific Warn winch option but am concerned about the 12k rating. I'm really torn as to whether I'll need to go for the 16.5ti or if I can get away with the 12k Warn winch and keep a cleaner, stock front.

Thanks! I haven't really done the math on that, but I figure once the camper is all built out and filled up, it could be around 2,000 pounds. I admittedly haven't ever needed to use a winch, but I figured if I needed a little extra force out of it that a snatch block would do the job. I do really like how clean the 12k winch looks on it. What kind of camper are you doing?

Thanks! I haven't really done the math on that, but I figure once the camper is all built out and filled up, it could be around 2,000 pounds. I admittedly haven't ever needed to use a winch, but I figured if I needed a little extra force out of it that a snatch block would do the job. I do really like how clean the 12k winch looks on it. What kind of camper are you doing?
That's impressive the wet weight will be around 2,000lbs!! After a very exhaustive search based on my needs I decided to go with an Outfitter. I'm holding off on a full flatbed conversion for now - though that's my end goal.

Similar to you I'm hoping to be able to use the 12k Warn with snatch blocks in a pinch, since I try to avoid stucks as much as possible. My camper will be closer to 2,800lbs fully loaded, tanks full, so I'd be chancing it a bit more. Still, love how clean the look is with the factory 12k winch. Also the ability to maintain use of the 360 camera for crawling without a spotter.

Hey all,

Just thought I'd finally say hello. I've been lurking around for a few months while I wait for my Tremor to get built. It's an F350 Lariat carbonized grey, blackout with the winch option. I'm not sure if this has been done much with the Tremor yet, but I'll be doing an unusual build with mine. I have a MITS Alloy aluminum flatbed ute tray on it's way here from Australia right now to put on it. I'm also talking to the installer (Mule) about making a custom rear winch mount. Not just for off roading, but so that I can use it to pull my whitewater raft out of the river and onto my trailer! And then on that flatbed I'll be putting a Bison Overland pop-up camper that is getting made right now down in Tulsa. I ordered it as an empty shell and I am doing all of the interior construction, making it an all-electric camper that should be able to run for at least 4-5 days in the shade without turning on the engine or plugging in. In the end, it should look a bit like this mediocre photoshop job I did with someone else's truck from on here (I can't remember who's truck it is, but thanks for the photo!).

Anyway, I'm sure I'm gonna have a lot of questions for this group once I actually get the truck, so I wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for your posts!

View attachment 15294
That look sweet ?

That's impressive the wet weight will be around 2,000lbs!! After a very exhaustive search based on my needs I decided to go with an Outfitter. I'm holding off on a full flatbed conversion for now - though that's my end goal.

Nice! Those look cozy!

On mine, the camper itself is right about 1200 before the interior built out. Inside I'll be doing all my cabinetry with 8020 aluminum extrusion skinned with half inch laminated baltic birch. I'm going almost all electric for cooking/water/heat with 560 amp hours of lithium (280 at 24v), and I haven't locked it in yet, but I'm thinking right around 30 gallons of fresh water and maybe 5 of grey. I think 2k should be doable with those components but I could be wrong! But unlike my last truck, if I am, it's all good! :LOL:

Now how to get through the next two weeks....

1614050928465.png

127 days later and she is home! Heading to the desert first thing in the morning for the next 4 days to break things in! I had to delay install of the winch to next week in order to have it in time for my trip. Would have been fun to have, but well worth the wait.

IMG_9531.jpeg

After getting my truck home I packed up the same night and drove a few hundred miles south to the Mojave desert outside of Las Vegas. I've been without a truck for a whopping 127 days so I was itching to get out and do some camping and test it out in its stock configuration. It did so well! I dropped the pressure to about 55 and have left it there since and it was amazingly soft for an unloaded 1-ton truck. My friend was in a Tacoma with upgraded suspension and the Tremor did just fine even on some extremely rough and rocky roads. It even made a hill climb we tried out that stopped that Taco cold in its tracks due to clearance. Here are a few pics and a little video clip of that hill.

It's first time on dirt, right before we headed down a long, rough road for the next couple of days. I love the carbonized grey so much!
IMG_9586.jpeg

IMG_9615.jpeg
IMG_9620.jpeg
IMG_9641.jpeg

It's pretty fun to watch the suspension articulate so much as it works its way up the deep, uneven ruts. That hill was a lot steeper than it looks on video!

After four amazing days of sleeping in the back of the truck and exploring the desert, I headed home and the dealer quickly got my winch installed, and right after that I got the @Baja Designs 7XL Linkable installed myself. Heading back out to the desert this week for a proper photo shoot with the new additions! Meanwhile my flatbed tray and camper are delayed a bit but should all come together over the next two months. All good with me now that I have the truck!

IMG_9886.jpeg

IMG_9890.jpeg

Back