Tremor Engine 2nd guessing myself

Get the powerstroke for the resale alone. In 5 to 10 years when you move up the gen Z kid with the flat brim hat, a permed mullet and daddy's money won't want a 7.3.

Besides, most of the 7.3 forum is peasants circle jerking each other about how they didn't "need or want" the diesel when in fact they probably couldn't spring for it. :p:poop:
What a disgusting condescending post evidently coming from someone who thinks he's better than everyone else. I sprang for a diesel Ram and a gas Tremor so I must not be a "peasant", in fact I'm probably better than even you.
What a complete schmuck.

I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Ranking the use cases in order of 'how often'

Use Case"Better" engine choice
Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Towing an 8k bumper-pull 2 horse trailerEither one works, Advantage 6.7 Diesel
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)
Hunting trips, off-road use7.3L Gas
Future possibility... 15k goose neck horse trailer6.7 Diesel

Appreciate any input or opinions.
I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

and yes, I can see that what I really need is both ;)
I pull a 15 000lbs gooseneck with my 7.3. It does fine pulls better then my 2005 Dodge Cummins I had back in 2005. I hated that truck!! I get about 1/2 to 1 mpg worse then my buddy does with his 6.7 pulling the almost identical 15 000lbs trailer. I have a 2021 f550 with the 7.3 it is better on fuel then the 2014 3500 Chevrolet with a 6.0 gas that use to haul the same load.
Does the 6.7 pull better and faster of course it does my last truck had the 6.7 diesel I loved it. I just got tired of fixing it! DPF problems. Very expensive oil changes I did drive I for 300 000 miles good engine but cost end of the month the gasser saves me money.

Get the powerstroke for the resale alone. In 5 to 10 years when you move up the gen Z kid with the flat brim hat, a permed mullet and daddy's money won't want a 7.3.

Besides, most of the 7.3 forum is peasants circle jerking each other about how they didn't "need or want" the diesel when in fact they probably couldn't spring for it. :p:poop:

Haha, I got the gasser. I think it’s the better off roader and that’s primarily what I plan to do with it. Even changing rear springs because I don’t plan on hauling much or towing anything heavier than my surf boat. If I have something heavy to tow, I’ll have one of my employees tow it with one of my other trucks. I don’t pull campers because I don’t enjoy staying in them, and if I’m going long distances, I will drive something faster and more plush than a platinum f250. If I’m going really long distance, I’ll take my jet.

Btw I happen to like my circle of peasant friends. Over the next 4 months we will be circle jerking each other for 2 months hunting in 6 different states, Scotland and Argentina.
wow. Imagine how much better that would be with a power stroke!

But... since I started this thread when I thought I could change the order to a Diesel then found out the 7.3 is already scheduled for build... Oops. I'll roll with the 'Zilla and see if I like it :)

FWIW, it sure sounds like you just *want* the diesel. Which is more than enough justification to get it.

If I were you and I didn't have to have the truck immediately, I'd get that order changed.

I'm quite certain your dealer can change the order even though it's been scheduled. And if they won't, worst case you put in a new order and wait a little bit longer. That's better than second guessing yourself everyday or having to deal with a trade-in later.

It’s quite amusing how this topic eventually dissolves into pointless argument or name calling. No matter how many spreadsheets or arguments we make we all buy what we want. I’m sure for a fair number here, myself included a half ton truck would suffice but I didn’t want a half ton truck. So I bought what I want, which is what everyone else here did as well, but to say choosing this or that option on a truck makes someone inferior, is stupid.

To the OP if you have a good relationship with you’re dealer maybe talk to them about your situation. You could place an order for a 6.7 now then when the 7.3 comes in see if they will let you drive for a couple days. I’m sure that would give you a good idea if you want to keep the 7.3 or wait for the 6.7.

I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)

I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

I ordered mine in May and received my vin# two weeks ago. Looks like today its in production. Another month or so before delivery. Be patient. The 7.3 gas is Nothing like the diesel, not even close. Personally I will never own another. It's also a pig on fuel.

Last edited:
Facts. https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/the-tremor-towing-table.4262/

As you allude, if you're regularly towing 20K# you're not choosing either F250-350 to do it. Especially if you're towing 20K# of equipment that costs some multiple of the truck. The F450-550 is the right choice there.

And, sure, the more power the motor in the truck has, the less you have to press the pedal as you hang more weight off the back. But if that's anything more than a vanity metric you might want to do some light leg exercises.

It's not just about "how much you have to press the pedal". You must not tow much. Putting a gas engine under the stress that towing 15k+ lbs isn't fun at all, and that engine won't last like a diesel. Gas engines can't handle it. I've towed a lot of steep grades with 20k lbs that I would never at all do with a gasser towing much more than 10k lbs. Come to California and climb the Tehachapi or Grapevine with a gasser towing 15k lbs. But to that point, perhaps if you are towing only on flat roads it's not so bad. Regardless, if you're not towing enough to think you need a diesel, why even get more than a half ton pickup, especially when the F150 can do around 13k lbs.

It's not just about "how much you have to press the pedal". You must not tow much. Putting a gas engine under the stress that towing 15k+ lbs isn't fun at all, and that engine won't last like a diesel. Gas engines can't handle it. I've towed a lot of steep grades with 20k lbs that I would never at all do with a gasser towing much more than 10k lbs. Come to California and climb the Tehachapi or Grapevine with a gasser towing 15k lbs. But to that point, perhaps if you are towing only on flat roads it's not so bad. Regardless, if you're not towing enough to think you need a diesel, why even get more than a half ton pickup, especially when the F150 can do around 13k lbs.
Because half tons can't handle the weight nearly as well. That's why I got a 250. Have had a half dozen or so half tons, and just pulling my 7x16 enclosed trailer across Kansas or South Dakota is a little more white knuckle than in a 250 and up. Justify your purchase however you need or want, your choice doesn't make you any better or worse either way.

Oh stop. This is blatant old wives tale bullshit. 😂

You must not actually have a 7.3L truck.

I tow with my 7.3 almost every day of the week. Often in the 10K# – 16K# range. And I pull over a 10% average grade every time. ~2000' in just over ~3 miles. With sections up to 12%. Tehachapi & Grapevine are half of that grade. I pulled 16K# today and the motor yawned. Going through the twists and turns from 5mph to 55mph it doesn't even redline once.

“A gas engine won't last like a diesel.”

Ford rates the 7.3L up to 37,000 GCWR on the F-750!

But somehow this motor used in Ford's true heavy duty trucks — with its dead simple time tested design used in everything from big trucks to hot rods and race cars — is not going to meet its expected service life in the same way the absolutely convoluted design of the modern diesel will when working well-within the limits of this 3/4 ton SRW “off road” platform we all own?

There is no evidence to support this claim.

There are so many valid reasons to choose the diesel over the gas engine and vice versa. There's no need to resort to bullshit to make the case and justify your purchase. I'm not pro one or the other. It's a tough call. Neither is perfect. We're blessed to be able to own either. And both get any job the Tremor can handle more than done.

Last edited:
What a disgusting condescending post evidently coming from someone who thinks he's better than everyone else. I sprang for a diesel Ram and a gas Tremor so I must not be a "peasant", in fact I'm probably better than even you.
What a complete schmuck.

You must be a blast at parties.

Listen Karen, it was an obvious tongue in cheek comment, hence the emojis.

You really think I care what some randoms from the internet have in their garage? As if it effects my life at all?

Better yet you think I care even the slightest bit about your opinion of me? LOL. First time on the internet?

We'll leave the overwhelming hypocrisy of your comment alone for the time being, you already have enough to think about.

Haha, I got the gasser. I think it’s the better off roader and that’s primarily what I plan to do with it. Even changing rear springs because I don’t plan on hauling much or towing anything heavier than my surf boat. If I have something heavy to tow, I’ll have one of my employees tow it with one of my other trucks. I don’t pull campers because I don’t enjoy staying in them, and if I’m going long distances, I will drive something faster and more plush than a platinum f250. If I’m going really long distance, I’ll take my jet.

Btw I happen to like my circle of peasant friends. Over the next 4 months we will be circle jerking each other for 2 months hunting in 6 different states, Scotland and Argentina.
Do what makes you happy. Just glad to see someone understood it was just a joke.

It would be better in the powerstroke just so we're clear. Like way better. Some might even say the best time ever. Easily 10x better.

Oh stop. This is blatant old wives tale bullshit. 😂

You must not actually have a 7.3L truck.

I tow with my 7.3 almost every day of the week. Often in the 10K# – 16K# range. And I pull over a 10% average grade every time. ~2000' in just over ~3 miles. With sections up to 12%. Tehachapi & Grapevine are half of that grade. I pulled 16K# today and the motor yawned. Going through the twists and turns from 5mph to 55mph it doesn't even redline once.

“A gas engine won't last like a diesel.”

Ford rates the 7.3L up to 37,000 GCWR on the F-750!

But somehow this motor used in Ford's true heavy duty trucks — with its dead simple time tested design used in everything from big trucks to hot rods and race cars — is not going to meet its expected service life in the same way the absolutely convoluted design of the modern diesel will when working well-within the limits of this 3/4 ton SRW “off road” platform we all own?

There is no evidence to support this claim.

There are so many valid reasons to choose the diesel over the gas engine and vice versa. There's no need to resort to bullshit to make the case and justify your purchase. I'm not pro one or the other. It's a tough call. Neither is perfect. We're blessed to be able to own either. And both get any job the Tremor can handle more than done.
Agree, although I really don’t like the idea of running a big block at +3500 rpm for long periods of time, especially under a heavy load. I have an off-road only truck, that used to be my daily driver- in my sig, 86 f250 that has a 385 series 460 bored and stroked to 513ci. With the manual 4-speed trans, it would spin 3600rpm at 60mph with the 40” boggers. Never enjoyed running it that high for long ways, even if the rotating assembly was built to withstand 14000rpm…. High speed wears components out quicker, especially in motors.
I do think the 7.3 is extremely de-tuned from factory for better reliability, so it really should hold up well…. Just wish they would have brought back the 460 if they were going to go with a large displacement gas engine!

Last edited:

Everything depends on what you do. If you tow everyday yes diesel, if not gas. You will most likely not to have the truck for 500,000 miles. think about the electronics they will go out at 7-10 years anyway. Also for miles my 7.3 gets 12mpg my friends Diesel gets 16-17mpg. he say but I can drive for 500 plus miles ok sure but you have to stop twice to take pisssss. anyway love my truck.

Do what makes you happy. Just glad to see someone understood it was just a joke.

It would be better in the powerstroke just so we're clear. Like way better. Some might even say the best time ever. Easily 10x better.
It might, I should try it some time. For now my tremor exists only in my imagination as I dont have a build date yet. But I do have a pile of parts and accessories worth far more than the upcharge from gas to diesel lying in my shop waiting for it. But who are we kidding, even if I had it, it is not the vehicle I would be taking on a two month multi continent wingshooting grand tour. That thing is just so I can take the garbage to the dump from my farm where I dont have trash service. I hope the gas motor can handle it.
i also have a gas motor in my db11. That thing would be crazy fun with a coal rolling panty dropping dirt pushing motor in it I bet!

If you bought any Super Duty primarily to off-road, you chose the wrong vehicle. Honestly, even the Raptor is not the best choice for off-road unless you are primarily desert high speed off-road, and I took my ‘18 up and over Tin Cup. Maybe where you’re located it will work but in Utah and Colorado most off-road is too narrow for a Super Duty or Raptor. For primarily off-road to me, Jeep, 4Runner, or Taco is the better choice (we’ll see how the Bronco does). The Tremor, gas or diesel is great for towing your caravan or OHV to a dispersed site in Moab but your probably not going to do Fins & Things or even the White Rim Trail for that matter. Hells Revenge or Poison Spider Mesa is just out of the question. Just because it has Rock Crawl Mode doesn’t make it a rock crawler.

Let’s take the sh-t talkin‘ personal opinion bs out of this decision and calculate some real numbers.

Miles / (City MPG * percentage of miles you drive in the city + highway MPG * percentage of miles you drive on the highway) * $ per gallon = annual fuel cost

Diesel engine option $8,000 more than gas engine option.

12,000 miles per year is about the average personal miles for most Americans (per insurance companies).

12,000 miles / [(10 mpg x 50%) +(15 mpg x 50%)] = 960 gallons x $3.56 per gallon = $3,418

12,000 miles / [(14 mpg x 50%) + (20 mpg x .50%)] = 706 gallons x $3.19 per gallon = $2,252

$3,418 - $2,252 = $1,166 in fuel savings per year.

$8,000 diesel engine option / $1,166 annual fuel savings = 6.86 years to break even.

I know this math is only based on only one of several variables, but probably the biggest financial justification variable.

Also, I have owned many diesel and gas trucks over my lifetime and also understand the value of having more torque, exhaust braking, resell value, etc. (my previous truck was a 2019 diesel)

Personally, I have an employer supplied F250 which I drive on a daily basis and therefore I put under 10,000 miles per year on my personal 7.3 Tremor. Regarding heavy towing … we only have a 10,000 lb bumper pull travel trailer we tow during camping season. And I sell or trade my trucks every 3 to 4 years … why … because I can afford it … plus I like to experience the technology improvements.

Point is … IN MY PERSONAL SITUATION … it does not make financial sense to purchase the diesel option.

However … IN YOUR PERSONAL SITUATION … it may make financial sense to purchase the diesel option (high miles driven annually, extremely heavy towing, testosterone issues, etc).

My advise ... do the math, consider the weight you are towing, and purchase whatever makes sense for you ... and DON’T LISTEN TO THE WANKERS ON HERE REGARDING THEIR UNSUBSTANTIATED PERSONAL OPINIONS.

Enough said ... go buy your truck and enjoy it !!!

Last edited:
Because the F150 lacks payload is not as stable of a platform driving with 8K+ in tow especially with a higher profile trailer. I have owned the same cargo pure sport trailer through a Gen1 Raptor (only one I really miss for the fun factor), F150 Eco boost, a 2500 Suburban, and now the Tremor. There is no comparison moving to the Superduty chassis. The Raptor and Eco had the power but lacked the cooling capacity to pull passes with 8K in tow without overheating pushing them to a 60mph speed limit had to back off to around 45MPH to keep temps down. On top of that the trailer was almost unmanageable without a equalizer installed on the 1/2 tons. Saw a massive improvement in handling going Superduty and don’t run the equalizer anymore with the same trailer on top of being able to hold speed without overheating. Another bonus is in a Superduty there is enough payload to add extra cargo in the box on top of full load of passengers that the 1/2 ton just couldn’t safely support even when total trailer weight is under 10K LBS.

There is no advantage to the diesel for towing. The 7.3 has more than enough power for this platforms tow capacity. Especially at the 8k number you’re citing.

That said.

The 7.3 is a pig. It needs to be fed. Especially when towing.

So it comes entirely down to fuel range.

It’s not really a big deal, but it is semi-annoying. Another 3-4mpg — or a bigger gas tank — and the gasser would be idyllic.

As current I think the motors are pretty comparable from a cost, capability and annoyance perspective. It just comes down to more gas stops vs. more registration and maintainence headaches.
Most that are towing 8k lbs are getting 10 mpg not 3.

16k lbs racing against the clock at 11k ft got 2.2 calculated at the pump.

I get, 13.5 to 14.5 city/mix to hwy in my 7.3. My friends with the 17/18 6.7 get 14 everywhere. They do get more towing though.
The 7.3 is badass and I got nearly 15mpg(14.7) going from 100 elevation to 10k Napa to Colorado Springs traveling at 80-85!

My personal opinion is I would not get a modern diesel again unless I lived somewhere I could get away with deleting all the emissions crap in it, and that is very few places now days.

Don’t get me wrong I love the diesel motors but our government is just making it a royal pain in the ass to enjoy the benefits of the Diesel engine.

I currently have a 2004 6.0 F350 that I bought brand new in 2004, guess what, I only have 42k miles on it, why? I’m just too paranoid to drive it on short trips all the time, 1/4 mile to the grocery store and back, only 6 miles to work each way, etc. so it sits a lot of the time, and those trips won’t ever get it warmed up, that’s not good for it either, fortunately I’ve not had any real issues with my 6.0, recently replaced the turbo as it was sticking, likely from sitting.

I haven’t ordered my Tremor yet I’m still debating what to get, if I could delete it would be the diesel hands down even though the only thing I have to tow is a 10k - 12k lb toy hauler and could easily do it with a gasser. Haven’t really decided yet but I feel I will get much more use out of the 7.3 since I won’t have to worry about the possible issues with the diesel that way I would be using it.
I drove both the 7.3 and the 6.7, there both plenty powerful for most use cases, there’s no need for all the bickering about it, I really don’t understand it it’s like all the people bashing other manufacturers cars/trucks, I’ll be damned if they all don’t make something I would happily drive.

The diesel guys seem to like to make those with gassers feel as if they have less of a truck because they didn’t choose the diesel, gas guys seem to like to make the diesel guys feel like they wasted money and don’t need a diesel and it’s going to implode as soon as you leave the dealer.

There are pros and cons to every situation, gas or diesel it doesn’t matter, make your choice based on your needs/wants and go from there, if you make a mistake buying the wrong truck get a different one, anyone spending $60k - $90k on a truck you wouldn’t think would have to worry about loosing a few $$ on a swap, especially in todays market, you could probably drive it for 6 months trade it in and hardly loose anything.

Let’s take the sh-t talkin‘ personal opinion bs out of this decision and calculate some real numbers.

Miles / (City MPG * percentage of miles you drive in the city + highway MPG * percentage of miles you drive on the highway) * $ per gallon = annual fuel cost

Diesel engine option $8,000 more than gas engine option.

12,000 miles per year is about the average personal miles for most Americans (per insurance companies).

12,000 miles / [(10 mpg x 50%) +(15 mpg x 50%)] = 960 gallons x $3.56 per gallon = $3,418

12,000 miles / [(14 mpg x 50%) + (20 mpg x .50%)] = 706 gallons x $3.19 per gallon = $2,252

$3,418 - $2,252 = $1,166 in fuel savings per year.

$8,000 diesel engine option / $1,166 annual fuel savings = 6.86 years to break even.

I know this math is only based on only one of several variables, but probably the biggest financial justification variable.

Also, I have owned many diesel and gas trucks over my lifetime and also understand the value of having more torque, exhaust braking, resell value, etc. (my previous truck was a 2019 diesel)

Personally, I have an employer supplied F250 which I drive on a daily basis and therefore I put under 10,000 miles per year on my personal 7.3 Tremor. Regarding heavy towing … we only have a 10,000 lb bumper pull travel trailer we tow during camping season. And I sell or trade my trucks every 3 to 4 years … why … because I can afford it … plus I like to experience the technology improvements.

Point is … IN MY PERSONAL SITUATION … it does not make financial sense to purchase the diesel option.

However … IN YOUR PERSONAL SITUATION … it may make financial sense to purchase the diesel option (high miles driven annually, extremely heavy towing, testosterone issues, etc).

My advise ... do the math, consider the weight you are towing, and purchase whatever makes sense for you ... and DON’T LISTEN TO THE WANKERS ON HERE REGARDING THEIR UNSUBSTANTIATED PERSONAL OPINIONS.

Enough said ... go buy your truck and enjoy it !!!
Nailed it, do the math.
My math is I traded my 7.3L Tremor not because of the mileage but because I could not depend on it after 15 months and 35k miles mostly hauling a truck camper then a 8k pound caravan. Since July 17th, I have driven 10,040 miles on my 6.7L Tremor and spent 24 nights camping.
@UTEngineer I adjusted your mileage numbers down on both to what I have gotten towing verse not in my situation but left the same usage percentage even though I am probably closer to 65 tow 35 not. Also, I ran 87 non ethanol in the 7.3 but stayed with your $/g.

28,000 miles / [(8 mpg x 50%) +(12 mpg x 50%)] = 2920 gallons x $3.56 per gallon = $10,395

28,000 miles / [(11 mpg x 50%) + (18 mpg x .50%)] = 2050 gallons x $3.19 per gallon = $6,540

$10,395 - $6,540 = $3,855 in fuel savings per year.

$8,000 diesel engine option / $3,855 annual fuel savings = 2.08 years to break even.

For me, the diesel is the winner all day long on a financial line but my original purchase went to the 7.3L for the additional payload alone.

Fact is everyone has their reasons for their purchase. But to say one is better than the other because of mileage or maintenance or upfront cost or payload or off-road capabilities is just to feed your ego. Everyone should be buying what’s best for their situation, not because one of us thinks their choice is superior.

Last edited:
Back