Tremor Engine 2nd guessing myself

1000% false.

Facts. https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/the-tremor-towing-table.4262/

I own several F250 and F350 7.3 work trucks that occasionally tow 10k lbs, equipment trailer + mini excavator or loader (use mostly F450 and F550 6.7's for this usually). I tow a 20k lb toy hauler with my 6.7 Tremor. My 6.7 tows 20k lbs 100 times better than our 7.3's tow 10k lbs.

As you allude, if you're regularly towing 20K# you're not choosing either F250-350 to do it. Especially if you're towing 20K# of equipment that costs some multiple of the truck. The F450-550 is the right choice there.

And, sure, the more power the motor in the truck has, the less you have to press the pedal as you hang more weight off the back. But if that's anything more than a vanity metric you might want to do some light leg exercises.

Last edited:
Agreed, the 7.3 would be fine for a 2-3 horse slant load but with a big 4-6 horse gooseneck it’s got to be the 6.7L.

1634147819308.png

Am I missing something here? This would be a barely noticeable amount of weight on the 7.3. I don't care for horses so no idea if this estimate is accurate so I may very well be missing something.

Also, do horse owners tow their horses around daily or weekly even? Or is this like a casual once in a blue moon thing?

View attachment 36561

Am I missing something here? This would be a barely noticeable amount of weight on the 7.3. I don't care for horses so no idea if this estimate is accurate so I may very well be missing something.

Also, do horse owners tow their horses around daily or weekly even? Or is this like a casual once in a blue moon thing?
Typically in my case biweekly at least before 2020. Yes most 3 horse living quarters range from 7500-9000 pounds based on size of quarters brand and age. When loaded a good rule of thumb is 1500 pounds per horse, most of the 3 horse goose neck living quarters trailers have a GVWR of 17,500 pounds and you get there quick.

Last edited:
Typically in my case biweekly at least before 2020. Yes most 3 horse living quarters range from 7500-9000 pounds based on size of quarters brand and age. When loaded a good rule of thumbnails 1500 poinds per horse, most of the 3 horse goose neck living quarters trailers have a GVWR of 17,500 pounds and you get there quick.

Interesting. Is pulling a bunch of horses around biweekly typical? What’s the reason for it? Most horse owners I know never seem to take them off the property. Even the vet comes to them.

I pull 10-12k# several times a week. Only complaint with the 7.3 for that use case is gas mileage.

Above that weight my complaints shift to the platform. If I was regularly hauling well over 10k# I’d *need* a better suspension first, at the least. A turbocharger would be a nice added luxury. And the turbo diesel motor would be the easiest way to get that and also worth it from a fuel cost perspective. The 7.3 just drinks too much when towing heavy.

So yeah if pulling 4 horses around multiple times per week definitely get the diesel. And dual rear wheels too. 😅

Last edited:
I think there are several areas people overlook on this thread:
• The Tremor is an off-road package. If you want max towing, why are you going Tremor in any engine?
• The 7.3L is ~800lbs less than the 6.7L. Big advantage to the 7.3L if you are going off-road.
• The upfront cost of the diesel is $8k to $10k.
• Maintenance costs. Just a simple oil change costs double on a diesel (7qts to 15qts). DEF is also a cost, small, but definitely not free.

Sure, the extra power in a diesel would be nice, but do I need it for the limited towing I do? Not here.
The true question for the diesel is how heavy you pull and how often.
In my case, even with the better fuel mileage of the diesel, it would take me 10+ years to break even.

Interesting. Is pulling a bunch of horses around biweekly typical? What’s the reason for it? Most horse owners I know never seem to take them off the property. Even the vet comes to them.

I pull 10-12k# several times a week. Only complaint with the 7.3 for that use case is gas mileage.

Above that weight my complaints shift to the platform. If I was regularly hauling well over 10k# I’d *need* a better suspension first, at the least. A turbocharger would be a nice added luxury. And the turbo diesel motor would be worth it from a fuel cost perspective. The 7.3 just drinks too much when towing heavy.

So yeah if pulling 4 horses around multiple times per week definitely get the diesel. And dual rear wheels too. 😅
For us - it's more of a weekend thing. We bring water, hay, gear, etc.

I do like the fact that I will use less fuel (or have less fuel stops) knowing I paid for it in advance with the cost of the motor - and then some. I also like being able to power up the hills of New England. I also like the sound of the 6.7!

• The Tremor is an off-road package. If you want max towing, why are you going Tremor in any engine?
• The 7.3L is ~800lbs less than the 6.7L. Big advantage to the 7.3L if you are going off-road.
• Maintenance costs. Just a simple oil change costs double on a diesel (7qts to 15qts). DEF is also a cost, small, but definitely not free.

Sure, the extra power in a diesel would be nice, but do I need it for the limited towing I do? Not here.
In my case, even with the better fuel mileage of the diesel, it would take me 10+ years to break even.
For me the Tremor was not a pure tow truck or an off-road truck. It's a truck that checked all the boxes of "It can do that!" and some boxes that I may want/need to check later. Plus the truck looks good.

I have mentioned this before, but I overbuy most everything. I never buy what I need at the moment, or what meets current demand.

I do like the fact that I will use less fuel (or have less fuel stops) knowing I paid for it in advance with the cost of the motor - and then some.

Yep, that fact alone is well worth it if heavy towing multiple times a week.

I also like being able to power up the hills of New England.

haha. There's nothing New England can throw at these trucks that either motor can't handle.

I also like the sound of the 6.7!

It does sound great. And preference is what it comes down to at the and of the day. I wish more people would be comfortable just saying that!

Yep, that fact alone is well worth it if heavy towing multiple times a week.

haha. There's nothing New England can throw at these trucks

It does sound great. And preference is what it comes down to at the and of the day. I wish more people would be comfortable just saying that!
Agreed 100%!

Using the Whipple its pretty much a wash pricewise when all is said and done. In my area regular is more than diesel by a few cents, and premium and nonethanol are about $1 more.

Really the 7.3s should be getting run on nonethanol, I'm on my 3rd tank (87 nonethanol) and picked up 1+mpg on average compared to 87 up to 10% ethanol along with a healthier idle.

7.3 is great but just getting the short end due to govt mandates.
A friend of mine just ordered the TRX, I told him I can't see driving a truck that is premium only and gets 10 mpg. That's about where a whippled 7.3 would be.

Sounds like you only need a half ton. Except for the one 6.7 "Better" engine choice. So get an F150, or a 6.7 F250/F350 Tremor.
Yeah I didn’t like the idea of wife pulling horses with half-ton. I’ll see how the 7.3 Tremor does and go from there 👍

Peasants don't have little man syndrome or as big of Egos either. They may just be that much smarter too.

Unlikely.

Buy an 8000lb truck with a gas engine then literally never shut up about "how can I get even half an MPG more"

Not sure how that ranks as intelligent when the solution was offered by the manufacturer.

Just spit balling though. Makes no difference to me.

As for your obsession with height and ego, Beta males need trucks too I guess.

Buy what you can afford and be happy. I'll never understand why people get so defensive on the internet.

Above that weight my complaints shift to the platform. If I was regularly hauling well over 10k# I’d *need* a better suspension first, at the least. A turbocharger would be a nice added luxury. And the turbo diesel motor would be the easiest way to get that and also worth it from a fuel cost perspective. The 7.3 just drinks too much when towing heavy.

We did about 6 or 7 horse events this year with maybe half of them on the other side of the cascade mountains.

Horse trailer we have now has a GWR of 7,900lbs so probably not an issue for either engine (or like someone else said, could use an F-150 but I won't).

Just for fun, here's what the Tremor will be towing...
Trailer.jpg

And this is what will be Towing the Tremor :) (though not at the same time... or would it?? #RoadTrain)

RV.jpg

Yep, I did my own spreadsheet just out of curiosity. The diesel for me is not whether is is more economical, more about whether I would like driving it more, or need to for future towing.

But... since I started this thread when I thought I could change the order to a Diesel then found out the 7.3 is already scheduled for build... Oops. I'll roll with the 'Zilla and see if I like it :)

The only reason I have a Tremor is because there were only 5, 7.3 trucks with the 4.30 gear (all Tremors) at the time and this one was the only one not a high end Lariat. (Aka less than 70k) and I didnt not want to wait for one to get built.

Now its a bragging right that I have an XLT Tremor since they arent made anymore lol

The only reason I have a Tremor is because there were only 5, 7.3 trucks with the 4.30 gear at the time and this one was the only one not a high end Lariat. (Aka less than 70k) and I didnt not want to wait for one to get built.

Now its a bragging right that I have an XLT Tremor since they arent made anymore lol
I bought a Tremor cause I liked how it looked. And it does a great job hauling a real off-roader, soon to be 2, to the trails out west.

Yep, I did my own spreadsheet just out of curiosity. The diesel for me is not whether is is more economical, more about whether I would like driving it more, or need to for future towing.

But... since I started this thread when I thought I could change the order to a Diesel then found out the 7.3 is already scheduled for build... Oops. I'll roll with the 'Zilla and see if I like it :)
I'm close to you just over in the Lake Goodwin area. I have to go up and down FireTrial every day. That is what made me get the 6.7. I tested the 7.3 it is more responsive but all ways reving to the moon. With the hills and Passes in the area the 6.7 just eats them up.

You can always cancel and re order.

I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Ranking the use cases in order of 'how often'

Use Case"Better" engine choice
Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Towing an 8k bumper-pull 2 horse trailerEither one works, Advantage 6.7 Diesel
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)
Hunting trips, off-road use7.3L Gas
Future possibility... 15k goose neck horse trailer6.7 Diesel

Appreciate any input or opinions.
I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

and yes, I can see that what I really need is both ;)
Your post sounds like you've answered your own question.

Back