Tremor Engine 2nd guessing myself

I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Ranking the use cases in order of 'how often'

Use Case"Better" engine choice
Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Towing an 8k bumper-pull 2 horse trailerEither one works, Advantage 6.7 Diesel
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)
Hunting trips, off-road use7.3L Gas
Future possibility... 15k goose neck horse trailer6.7 Diesel

Appreciate any input or opinions.
I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

and yes, I can see that what I really need is both ;)
I love my 2020 6.7L. I pull a 8500lb bumper pull, and hope to go to 44' gooseneck someday. If you anticipate pulling bigger stuff I would definitely go with the diesel.

I'll give my personal input as to why I chose the 7.3. I mostly use this as a daily and short trips and did not feel the 6.7 so how get "up to temp". The 7.3 is rated for a 17,500 goose neck. 7.3 should be cheaper to repair/maintain.

Why I wish I had a 6.7, more power and better fuel economy especially with trailer, diesel is cheaper than gas in my area.

End point as I mostly DD and tow on occasion 7.3 is fine just wish I had a bigger gas tank.

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 1, 2019 – Ford F-Series, America’s best-selling truck for 42 years, is once again raising the bar for capability with its all-new 7.3-liter V8 gasoline engine. The 7.3-liter engine in Super Duty pickup cranks out best-in-class gas V8 output of 430 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and best-in-class torque of 475 ft.-lb. at 4,000 rpm.

No other competitor provides such a powerful and advanced gasoline engine in such a broad range of offerings – from Class 2 Super Duty pickups through Class 7 commercial trucks.

“The 7.3-liter is designed for maximum durability in the harshest environments given that our customers live and work in these conditions every day,” said Joel Beltramo, Ford manager for gas V8 engines. “This engine has the largest displacement in its class and is designed to provide benefits in key areas like power, durability, ease of maintenance and total operating costs.”

Engine 1.JPG

Get the powerstroke for the resale alone. In 5 to 10 years when you move up the gen Z kid with the flat brim hat, a permed mullet and daddy's money won't want a 7.3.

Besides, most of the 7.3 forum is peasants circle jerking each other about how they didn't "need or want" the diesel when in fact they probably couldn't spring for it. :p:poop:
Peasants don't have little man syndrome or as big of Egos either. They may just be that much smarter too.

I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)

I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

HANDS DOWN GET THE 6.7!!!!!

Sounds like you only need a half ton. Except for the one 6.7 "Better" engine choice. So get an F150, or a 6.7 F250/F350 Tremor.

There is no advantage to the diesel for towing. The 7.3 has more than enough power for this platforms tow capacity. Especially at the 8k number you’re citing.

That said.

The 7.3 is a pig. It needs to be fed. Especially when towing.

So it comes entirely down to fuel range.

It’s not really a big deal, but it is semi-annoying. Another 3-4mpg — or a bigger gas tank — and the gasser would be idyllic.

As current I think the motors are pretty comparable from a cost, capability and annoyance perspective. It just comes down to more gas stops vs. more registration and maintainence headaches.
1000% false. I own several F250 and F350 7.3 work trucks that occasionally tow 10k lbs, equipment trailer + mini excavator or loader (use mostly F450 and F550 6.7's for this usually). I tow a 20k lb toy hauler with my 6.7 Tremor. My 6.7 tows 20k lbs 100 times better than our 7.3's tow 10k lbs.

I went with the 7.3L Gas and I am very happy with it. 500 lbs lighter than diesel counterpart and also tons of room for a supercharger down the road. Very nice sound to it, it’s a head turner. If you have the tremor package the 7.3 is better for off the grid applications.

Attachments

• 24813FBC-D233-4F83-842A-C3B4A624D50B.jpeg
    24813FBC-D233-4F83-842A-C3B4A624D50B.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 14
So I have owned both the 7.3 and the 6.7 with the Lariat Sport Tremor package. If you’re going around town mostly with an occasional tow of a small camper or boat, the 7.3L is a solid choice, especially if you get one without spark/ignition issues. If you’re towing a 5th wheel or bumper pull over 5k more than once a month, you really need the 6.7L especially if you plan to go over Snoqualmie Pass regularly. The 7.3L has the payload advantage for a truck camper but you will never see better than 8mpg and 300 miles range when towing. I know everyone says the 7.3L has the off-road advantage but I don’t see it. I have taken both on some knarly s#*t and both preformed well, granted they are not Raptors. Honestly, the 7.3L is a great grocery getter and local toy hauler but if you’re really going to tow, there’s no comparison to the 6.7L. One caveat on the 6.7L, get an ESP for at least 100k miles. I will never own a diesel without it.
Lastly, been in the horse business since birth, most people go diesel for hauling big pony rigs.

I absolutely love my 6.7L. It's been years since I've had a diesel but I'm so impressed with the torque and power. My use thus far has been as a daily driver, towing an 7k-ish trailer, and a bunch of off road in the desert. I'm going to put on a bigger tank because where we off road it can be a lot of miles between fuel, and we're going to spend some time in Baja and I'd like to limit the use of their diesel. Long-term plan is a Four Wheel Campers shell in the bed with air bags to help with the extra weight. I absolutely love it and would not want the 7.3L at this point.

So I have owned both the 7.3 and the 6.7 with the Lariat Sport Tremor package. If you’re going around town mostly with an occasional tow of a small camper or boat, the 7.3L is a solid choice, especially if you get one without spark/ignition issues. If you’re towing a 5th wheel or bumper pull over 5k more than once a month, you really need the 6.7L especially if you plan to go over Snoqualmie Pass regularly. The 7.3L has the payload advantage for a truck camper but you will never see better than 8mpg and 300 miles range when towing. I know everyone says the 7.3L has the off-road advantage but I don’t see it. I have taken both on some knarly s#*t and both preformed well, granted they are not Raptors. Honestly, the 7.3L is a great grocery getter and local toy hauler but if you’re really going to tow, there’s no comparison to the 6.7L. One caveat on the 6.7L, get an ESP for at least 100k miles. I will never own a diesel without it.
Lastly, been in the horse business since birth, most people go diesel for hauling big pony rigs.
The last bit was my personal concern with going with the 7.3, the wife has 3 horses but at the time I couldnt justify a diesel for the in state shows. ESP would be a must for me if I ever get a diesel due to all the emission stuff being shoved in them.

The last bit was my personal concern with going with the 7.3, the wife has 3 horses but at the time I couldnt justify a diesel for the in state shows. ESP would be a must for me if I ever get a diesel due to all the emission stuff being shoved in them.
Agreed, the 7.3 would be fine for a 2-3 horse slant load but with a big 4-6 horse gooseneck it’s got to be the 6.7L. I had an 08 F350 and the ESP saved my a**, tons of major repairs and cracked heads at 70k due to regen on that one. Same with the HO 3.5 Ecoburst on my 18 Raptor, cam phasers.

I went with the 7.3L Gas and I am very happy with it. 500 lbs lighter than diesel counterpart and also tons of room for a supercharger down the road. Very nice sound to it, it’s a head turner. If you have the tremor package the 7.3 is better for off the grid applications.
Can you install a supercharger for less than the initial cost of the diesel? How's premium compare to the price of diesel.

Can you install a supercharger for less than the initial cost of the diesel? How's premium compare to the price of diesel.
Using the Whipple its pretty much a wash pricewise when all is said and done. In my area regular is more than diesel by a few cents, and premium and nonethanol are about $1 more.

Really the 7.3s should be getting run on nonethanol, I'm on my 3rd tank (87 nonethanol) and picked up 1+mpg on average compared to 87 up to 10% ethanol along with a healthier idle.

7.3 is great but just getting the short end due to govt mandates.

...and this is the post that speaks the most truth. 🍻

We typically have three horses and my wife has her eye on a gooseneck slant load with living quarters. Let me tell you, she bought a bumper pull two horse trailer when she was in high school....she had a Subaru. Her dad had a truck, so she figured it would all work out - she was right, but the story they all talk about each holiday. "Remember that time and called you excited that I bought a new horse trailer, and you asked me what I planned to tow it with?"

My choosing the diesel was the easiest decision I have made, second only to marrying my wife.

I didn't think about the ESP, but having read this thread more, I will do that. I plan on keeping this truck until it turns to dust.

I just towed ~13000# of crushed concrete in a ~3000# trailer (23860# scale weight, ~16000# on the bumper, i.e. slightly overweight) over a ~2000' mountain at a 10% average grade on 55MPH roads with a 200# passenger and a couple hundred pounds of tools in the back seat.

The 7.3 handled it just fine. Other than slurping down $40 of fuel in the process.

It would have handled another few thousand pounds just fine too. Other than slurping down even more fuel.

But if I was hauling this much weight regularly, the Tremor would not be my platform of choice. Regardless of whether it has a turbocharged motor or not.

Back