Tremor Engine 2nd guessing myself

ZipperMerge583

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Ford F-250 Tremor 7.3
Current Ride #2
2018 BMW M2
I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Ranking the use cases in order of 'how often'

Use Case"Better" engine choice
Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Towing an 8k bumper-pull 2 horse trailerEither one works, Advantage 6.7 Diesel
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)
Hunting trips, off-road use7.3L Gas
Future possibility... 15k goose neck horse trailer6.7 Diesel

Appreciate any input or opinions.
I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

and yes, I can see that what I really need is both ;)

A big decision point for me was range between fillups. This could potentially be a pro for you in hunting/off roading. To be clear this isn’t a cost issue, this is a not worrying about stopping at a damn gas station every 4 hours of driving issue. It’s nice to be able to take a break where you want to and not worry as much about range.

I placed an order for our Tremor Lariat 7.3L back in June, no VIN yet so I can still change my mind and switch to the PowerStroke...

From reading the forums here, I can see the engine debate has been beaten to death but I figured I'd take a look from my specific use cases and ask if I missed anything obvious.

Short in-town trips to store and barn with hay and horse feed (Partial Daily Driver for Wife)7.3L Gas
Being flat-towed behind a diesel pusher RV occasionally7.3L Gas (lighter by maybe 800lbs)

I think a test drive would probably solve this one for me but no dealers around me seem to have any 7.3L in stock. Neighbor has a 6.7 so I get that experience.

If anybody in the Seattle area with a 7.3L Tremor and wants to trade a ride / drive I can offer up a BMW M2 6-sp manual experience

6.7 is the best all around engine 👍🏻

I just test drove the 6.7, and I shouldn't have. I have no need for a diesel but the thing is awesome. Seriously thinking about just buying it. The dealer does have a 7.3 coming so I will test that out as well.

I debated the issue also. Mine is going to be my daily driver~10 miles each way to work and home. The 2 factors that made me choose the 6.7 again was the fact that we have a 16,000# 45ft 5th wheel camper, and although we are on a permanent site, I could tow it if needed. The other reason is I believe you will get 90% of the upcharge back when you sell or trade for something else down the road. I don't think a gasser will hold the value as well. Personal decision for everybody.

I debated the issue also. Mine is going to be my daily driver~10 miles each way to work and home. The 2 factors that made me choose the 6.7 again was the fact that we have a 16,000# 45ft 5th wheel camper, and although we are on a permanent site, I could tow it if needed. The other reason is I believe you will get 90% of the upcharge back when you sell or trade for something else down the road. I don't think a gasser will hold the value as well. Personal decision for everybody.
I did the same. I drive about 20 miles a day during the week. But my decision was 1) I rarely hear anyone complain about having too much truck, 2) I want the extra power on the occasion I tow, even if the 7.3 would likely handle it, and 3) diesels are in much higher demand here that’s big gassers.

I couldn’t be happier with my 6.7 choice. Also bought the Ford ESP bumper to bumper 7yr/150k given the cost of repair on both engine and technology platforms. Rarely do I purchase extended warranties on anything, but decided to on this one.

A big decision point for me was range between fillups. This could potentially be a pro for you in hunting/off roading. To be clear this isn’t a cost issue, this is a not worrying about stopping at a damn gas station every 4 hours of driving issue. It’s nice to be able to take a break where you want to and not worry as much about range.
That is a good point. Wouldn't want to have 'range anxiety' with the truck. I'll leave that to the EVs.

Also, if I switched to the diesel when filling up the RV at the truck stop with the TSD car, I can just pull forward and throw some in the TOAD-Tremor hooked up behind.

I can’t go more than four hours without having to pee.

I dont tow much, Jeep and old Bronco. 22 miles to and from work, if we ever go back to the office, spend most of my free time hunting and fishing so probably more off road use than average. Went 7.3. Just had the feeling I would have emission system issues down the road with my limited towing and short trips...getting a slide in camper but that's a wash...doesn't really matter which engine for that.

Go for the 6.7. I had a 7.3 on my order originally as well but the spark plug wire/coil design flaw hasn't been solved and Ford doesn't seem to care enough about it.

Also no aftermarket tank options for the gasser and probably won't be for at least a year depending on the motivation of Transferflow.

Changed my order to the 6.7 and glad I did, lots of smiles per gallon and thumbs up from people I'll never see again 😂

Mine will be my daily driver, as well as our road trip/RV tow vehicle. Having owned and towed with a Cummins ram in the past the diesel was a no brainer. The first time you come down a long hill towing a load riding the engine brake never touching the brakes…. You’ll never doubt your decision again.

Get the powerstroke for the resale alone. In 5 to 10 years when you move up the gen Z kid with the flat brim hat, a permed mullet and daddy's money won't want a 7.3.

Besides, most of the 7.3 forum is peasants circle jerking each other about how they didn't "need or want" the diesel when in fact they probably couldn't spring for it. :p:poop:

On your list you seem to give the advantage to the 7.3 but you are questioning it so it seems you actually want the 6.7. Really there is no right or wrong choice as long as you have done your research and know what you're getting. The 7.3 guys are going to say go with the 7.3 and the 6.7 guys will say the 6.7 is the best option. Both engines have positive and negatives about them, neither are perfect. Personally I went 7.3, just worked for my situation, I tow some but not heavy and I don't put a ton of miles on my truck. I have my own reasons for skipping the diesel and cost wasn't one. Range is a non issue for me, by the time I need to get gas with the 7.3 towing I need to stop anyways so whether I have 600 miles to empty or 300 miles to empty I am probably needing to stop before then anyways. Resale and longevity between the 7.3 and 6.7 is a toss up so far, not sure how the 7.3 will hold up long term since it is relatively new. As said both are good engines just need to figure out what fits you and your use best, no right or wrong choice as long as it works for you.

That is a good point. Wouldn't want to have 'range anxiety' with the truck. I'll leave that to the EVs.

Also, if I switched to the diesel when filling up the RV at the truck stop with the TSD car, I can just pull forward and throw some in the TOAD-Tremor hooked up behind.
That TSD fuel card is Definitely worth having. 2nd is an app called mudflap (depending on location)

There is no advantage to the diesel for towing. The 7.3 has more than enough power for this platforms tow capacity. Especially at the 8k number you’re citing.

That said.

The 7.3 is a pig. It needs to be fed. Especially when towing.

So it comes entirely down to fuel range.

It’s not really a big deal, but it is semi-annoying. Another 3-4mpg — or a bigger gas tank — and the gasser would be idyllic.

As current I think the motors are pretty comparable from a cost, capability and annoyance perspective. It just comes down to more gas stops vs. more registration and maintainence headaches.

There is no advantage to the diesel for towing. The 7.3 has more than enough power for this platforms tow capacity. Especially at the 8k number you’re citing.

That said.

The 7.3 is a pig. It needs to be fed. Especially when towing.

So it comes entirely down to fuel range.

It’s not really a big deal, but it is semi-annoying. Another 3-4mpg — or a bigger gas tank — and the gasser would be idyllic.

As current I think the motors are pretty comparable from a cost, capability and annoyance perspective. It just comes down to more gas stops vs. more registration and maintainence headaches.
Don't have the numbers in front of me, but you need to look at the Towing capacity for both. There IS a big difference. I think the 6.7 w/ 3.55 is 22,000# and same gear in 7.3 is 15,200

Last edited:
Don't have the numbers in front of me, but you need to look at the Towing capacity for both. There IS a big difference. I think the 6.7 w/ 3.55 is 22,000# and same gear in 7.3 is 15,200

Incorrect.

Towing guide aside, the capability of the motors are not the limiting factor of the 250/350 platforms. As evident by the 7.3 being used all the way up to the F550.

The 1900# delta at the top end of the gooseneck towing chart is Ford marketing playing games, no doubt. And sounds to be irrelevant to the OP as it is to all but a few members on this forum who are pulling anywhere near that weight.

For me it comes down to the right tool for the job.

If you plan on towing, the 6.7 gets the nod for the power, and control. Having an exhaust brake is worth it’s weight in gold in my opinion. This is especially true for those of us that live at altitude (6k, and towing over 10k in elevation).

Any new vehicle is complicated and costly if repairs occur out of warranty regardless of diesel or gas. For me the truck will get traded once the warranty’s up, assuming there still making diesels.

If you can afford a new tremor get the 6.7. No regrets.

Latest Discussions

Back