Tremor and TT: Apple’s AirTag Trackers, useful or wasted money?

Ceerix

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Diesel Lariat Tremor, Carbonize Gray, Black Appearance, Lariat Ultimate, High Capacity Trailer Towing Package
Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has experience with "Apple’s AirTag Trackers".

I am thinking to use two with my Tremor and two with my Travel Trailer.

I am a boondocker and sometimes my Travel Trailer is unattended for hours.

OK, I am using a trailer hitch security lock, lock both wheel chokes and I removed the fuse from the trailer jack 😉

But still, if somebody steal my TT it's might not a bad idea for track the TT, same for the Tremor.

Any experience? ... recommendations?

Thanks.

A close friend of mine recently had his Duramax stolen and he was able to track it down with Tile (android version of AirTag) and retrieve it in less than 24hrs and before the cops would even bother assisting. After that I’ve got an AirTag hidden in my truck and other vehicles, can’t beat the cheap insurance.

Main benefit of air tag is it’ll ping any iPhones within ~30-40ft, and since iPhone is the most widely used cellphone in the US market there’s a good chance you’ll get an update on its location when being driving on public roads or in any public area with cell signal. The limitation is it doesn’t track in real time but again, cheap insurance and a much better chance of recovering your stuff if it does get stolen.

I actually throw them in my truck and trailers and so far so good. But I also haven’t had to use them other than seeing who borrowed the trailer occasionally that I forgot about.

As Drtwrm said, they ping off phones. They use Bluetooth to send and receive signals. An issue with this is, if your in a remote area, they aren’t a lot of good because if the population is extremely sparse, then by the time you get a location, the tag will be a long ways away before you get another location.
In densely populated later areas, they are great. TFL did a good video on them

Truck gets stolen straight to insurance, I'm not bothering at all with me own methods.

If it's only the truck, OK....

But if you are a full time RVer there is maybe some stuff in the truck and/or in the travel trailer which are also extremely important for somebody.

When somebody steals my travel trailer it's like somebody steal your house/apartment with everything in it.... Passports, Driver License, important documents, everything regarding bank and insurances.... computer, etc.

In my Tremor is a safe and in my TT is a safe. This safes contains sometimes the most important documents.

I will purchase and use this Airtags as an additional security measure.....they don't hurt and I see only advantages.
I don't have to use my own methods but I could give information to the police where my Tremor/TT maybe is.

I will also install an car circuit breaker with remote control ....

I use apple trackers on a lot of things, work well. But for valuable items I use spot trace. Costs more but you get a notice when the asset moves.

The real question is not whether you believe in it, but how many you actually have protecting your rig?
E4195BCA-9391-49E6-800A-2F6F7C36C18D.jpeg

I use apple trackers on a lot of things, work well. But for valuable items I use spot trace. Costs more but you get a notice when the asset moves.
Every time my dogs get out of range from my phone I get a notification. Seems to do the same thing as the Spot Trace. What am I missing?

BTW I use the Airtags on a number of items.

Every time my dogs get out of range from my phone I get a notification.
Yeah every time we leave the house we get a notification:

"Two items left behind"

Both dogs have an airbag on their collar :p

Back