Tremor 7.3L Towing

rhines81

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 XLT Tremor 7.3L - Rapid Red
Hi all,

My first post here, I am ordering my 2021 Tremor F350 on Tuesday of next week. The maximum payload I will be towing is 9,500# plus trailer weight which would put me near 12K. I wanted to get the 4.30 axle ratio, but after looking at the Ford Towing Manual, it pointed out that the combination provides a 27,500# GCWR. This will be a problem for me because in PA any trailer being towed over 10,000 with a vehicle that has a combined GCWR of 26,001 or more requires a CDL. The only way around this is to order the Tremor/7.3L with 3.73 axle ratio which then brings you down to a 23,500# GCWR. Also, I checked out vehicle registration costs and it is $115 more per year to get the standard 11,300# GVWR than it would to get the 10,000# GVWR option. By getting the 10K GVWR option that is also available, I am assuming the vehicle would be delivered with a 22,200# GCWR? Are you following me yet? I cannot get a 14K trailer [without a CDL] with either the 10K or 11.3K GVWR option, which are more commonly available, because that would put me as 1,800# overloaded (because they go by rating and not actual load weight!) which sucks!
A 12K trailer with proper payload capacity would still work for me, but just looking for a sanity check from all of you. If I get a 12K trailer that has the capacity for a 9,500# payload, I am still under the tagged 22,200 GCWR with the 10K GVWR rating (assuming this is correct) of the vehicle and definitely under the State of PA's requirement for combined weight of less than 26,001# and I can save $115/year registration.
Now for my afterthought... can I get the dealer to install the 4.30 after delivery? Are they required to replate the GCWR of the vehicle if they do the work, does it void warranty, etc... any issues there? I will never consider getting a CDL, but I really want the 4.30/7.3L combo!

Last edited:
Hi all,

My first post here, I am ordering my 2021 Tremor F350 on Tuesday of next week. The maximum payload I will be towing is 9,500# plus trailer weight which would put me near 12K. I wanted to get the 4.30 axle ratio, but after looking at the Ford Towing Manual, it pointed out that the combination provides a 27,500# GCWR. This will be a problem for me because in PA any trailer being towed over 10,000 with a vehicle that has a combined GCWR of 26,001 or more requires a CDL. The only way around this is to order the Tremor/7.3L with 3.73 axle ratio which then brings you down to a 23,500# GCWR. Also, I checked out vehicle registration costs and it is $115 more per year to get the standard 11,300# GVWR than it would to get the 10,000# GVWR option. By getting the 10K GVWR option that is also available, I am assuming the vehicle would be delivered with a 22,200# GCWR? Are you following me yet? I cannot get a 14K trailer which are more commonly available, because that would put me as 500# overloaded with the 10K# GVWR or 1800# overloaded with the standard 11.3K# GVWR option (because they go by rating and not actual load weight!) which sucks!
A 12K trailer with proper payload capacity would still work for me, but just looking for a sanity check from all of you. If I get a 12K trailer that has the capacity for a 9,500# payload, I am still under the tagged 22,200 GCWR (assuming this is correct) of the vehicle and definitely under the State of PA's requirement for combined weight of less than 26,001#.
Now for my afterthought... can I get the dealer to install the 4.30 after delivery? Are they required to replate the GCWR of the vehicle if they do the work, does it void warranty, etc... any issues there? I will never consider getting a CDL, but I really want the 4.30/7.3L combo!
You may or may not need a CDL for the weight combinations you mentioned.

You may be able to get a non-commercial Class A license.

Attachments

• FS-NCAB.pdf
    181.9 KB · Views: 23
You may or may not need a CDL for the weight combinations you mentioned.

You may be able to get a non-commercial Class A license.
It is still very unclear to me in this State how the DUI laws apply to other than a Class C license vs non-commercial Class A. I do not drink and tow, but I do drink and drive to a safe point and I do not want alcohol limits "halved" plus worse penalaties. No indiscretions yet, but god forbid I have a trailer light out and get pulled over with 1 beer in my system!

How about a f 250 with the 10000 rating
The F250 would come with a 9900# rating, not a bad thing, but the actual vehicle capabilities do not change with the GVWR options other than the tagging, they are the same and as capable, no physical changes. In my case I would want the highest rated rear axle load rating. Changing the axle ratio, changes the GCWR.

It is still very unclear to me in this State how the DUI laws apply to other than a Class C license vs non-commercial Class A. I do not drink and tow, but I do drink and drive to a safe point and I do not want alcohol limits "halved" plus worse penalaties. No indiscretions yet, but god forbid I have a trailer light out and get pulled over with 1 beer in my system!

I can understand you concern. My professional license has requirements that are more stringent than the traditional laws.

I can't speak to the specific laws in PA regarding DUI, but my understanding of the Class A is that it is simply an endorsement like a class M for motorcycle and shouldn't subject you to the more stringent requirements. This is totally from my own research of driving across the country and needing to be in compliance with the weight and license requirements without having a CDL. I was recieving a lot of misinformation saying I had to have a CDL for over 26001lbs and 10k which is not necessarily true.

I am not in any way offering you legal advice or presenting my information as legal fact and would encourage you to conduct your own due diligence.

The F250 would come with a 9900# rating, not a bad thing, but the actual vehicle capabilities do not change with the GVWR options other than the tagging, they are the same and as capable, no physical changes. In my case I would want the highest rated rear axle load rating. Changing the axle ratio, changes the GCWR.
The 250 had the same rear-end with the 4.30 you want

7.3 tremor only come with the 4:30 gears. The payload you can get is the 11300lbs. You will be way below your cdl license requirements. The Tremor 7.3 is only rated to tow 15k lbs traditional 18k lbs 5th.
Yes, the 7.3 it rated at 15k tow capacity for bumper towing no matter what... look at the Ford Towing guide and it clearly points out different GCVWR for different set-ups... this is what I am talking about. If you only tow 16' boats, it won't matter!

7.3 tremor only come with the 4:30 gears. The payload you can get is the 11300lbs. You will be way below your cdl license requirements. The Tremor 7.3 is only rated to tow 15k lbs traditional 18k lbs 5th.
Default for the Tremor is 3.73 gears... I've run this configuration several times.

Look at the Ford Towing Guide. I have actually configured several Tremors and they all default to the 3.73. I had to specially select the 4.30.

You don't know what your talking about... default setting when you order the Tremor is 3.73.
You don't need to be disrespectful when someone is trying to help you. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but the tremor package comes with the 4.30 when you get the 7.3. The online configurator will not allow any other rear end. You might be able to dealer specify the 3.73 as a special order, but I've never heard of this.

Last edited:
I can understand you concern. My professional license has requirements that are more stringent than the traditional laws.

I can't speak to the specific laws in PA regarding DUI, but my understanding of the Class A is that it is simply an endorsement like a class M for motorcycle and shouldn't subject you to the more stringent requirements. This is totally from my own research of driving across the country and needing to be in compliance with the weight and license requirements without having a CDL. I was recieving a lot of misinformation saying I had to have a CDL for over 26001lbs and 10k which is not necessarily true.

I am not in any way offering you legal advice or presenting my information as legal fact and would encourage you to conduct your own due diligence.
I appreciate your comment, however; I do not even want to leave a shadow of doubt that I am doing the proper thing so I am looking at the fool-proof solution to get what I need done without skirting or having to defend my choices!

You don't need to be disrespectful when someone is trying to help you. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but the tremor package comes with the 4:30 when you get the 7.3. The online configurator will not allow any other rear end. You might be able to dealer specify something the 3.73 as a special order, but I've never heard of this.
Not disrespectful... I select the F350 XLT crew cab 7.3L and the 3.73 is chosen, no matter if I later select the Tremor option or not... it is the default! I am trying to help point out to people also that they might be getting into registration and licensing issues in their own States.

Not disrespectful... I select the F350 XLT crew cab 7.3L and the 3.73 is chosen, no matter if I later select the Tremor option or not... it is the default! I am trying to help point out to people also that they might be getting into registration and licensing issues in their own States.
If you have the 3.73 selected, then choose the tremor package it should force the 4.30 at that time in the configurator.

If you have the 3.73 selected, then choose the tremor package it should force the 4.30 at that time in the configurator.
It does not. Whether Ford.com or any other site. I like costco.com because you also get invoice pricing and it defaults to 3.73 also.... I am done argueing about this, I've researched this vehicle for months! LOL!

From the info box on the tremor option:

Includes:
• 4.30 Electronic Locking Final Drive Ratio (7.3L Gas Engine only
Try to help me out here instead of argue... I cannot have the GCVWR tagged at 27,500! It must be below 26,001!

Back