tremor 7.3 gas motor gears

Boogieman

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2018 F 150
I went to order a Tremor and my dealer tells me with the gas motor you can only 4.30 gears. You have to get the diesel to get 3.55 gears. The 4.30 sounds way to low for me.

BigBill

I went to order a Tremor and my dealer tells me with the gas motor you can only 4.30 gears. You have to get the diesel to get 3.55 gears. The 4.30 sounds way to low for me.
Hi Boogieman,
Yup both Gas and Diesel have a single (read NO choice) option for gearing with the ratios as you stated. Having owned larger trucks with big tires the added rotational mass significantly reduces performance. To maintain a reasonable tow and payload rating, as well as customer satisfaction for acceleration, the ratios chosen are best suited. The mitigating factor here is the 10 spd transmission which allows for a broad spread of complete end to end ratios (crankshaft to wheel) which should help with towing and MPG concerns.
If it really bothers you remember you can simply swap in your gear of choice and re-program the ECU (Superchips, Bully Dog, etc) for speedometer compatibility.

Personally I am not buying my truck for mileage and will simply "suck it up" at the pump. Bigger concern for me is the question of when modding whether I am willing to handheld tune for a 5-10% power increase but then needing to step up to premium fuel.....

Boogieman

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2018 F 150
Hi Boogieman,
Yup both Gas and Diesel have a single (read NO choice) option for gearing with the ratios as you stated. Having owned larger trucks with big tires the added rotational mass significantly reduces performance. To maintain a reasonable tow and payload rating, as well as customer satisfaction for acceleration, the ratios chosen are best suited. The mitigating factor here is the 10 spd transmission which allows for a broad spread of complete end to end ratios (crankshaft to wheel) which should help with towing and MPG concerns.
If it really bothers you remember you can simply swap in your gear of choice and re-program the ECU (Superchips, Bully Dog, etc) for speedometer compatibility.

Personally I am not buying my truck for mileage and will simply "suck it up" at the pump. Bigger concern for me is the question of when modding whether I am willing to handheld tune for a 5-10% power increase but then needing to step up to premium fuel.....
I agree with you with 35 tires and ten speed hopefully it will be ok. I travel up and down the east coast about four times a year and would have liked a 3.73 gear. But a 6.7 diesel you can get 3.55 gears. However $10,000 in fuel goes a long way.