Tremor 7.3 Break In

Brandon966

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
7.3 Tremor here, manual says 1000 mile break in and towing limit.

What says the forum?

I should have read it... went haywire right away

everything is awesome truck runs great!
Hahaha! I got ya! I read “went haywire right away” and assumed that your truck was the one who went haywire and not you. Good to know everything is all good.

I never even opened it. My 7.3 is. Lil a month old and I have 3940 miles on it and runs great. At 500 miles I put on a 50 series big block muffler with 3” in and 4” out the back. Sounds just right to me.

I'm at 850 miles right now, and hauled some dirt yesterday. Haven't towed the boat yet. Been running the RPM's up and down with the gear selector while on the highway. Also took some drives around backroads to let the rpms and transmission run their course. I'll probably be changing the oil by 1500 - 2000 miles to put my mind at ease.

I will chime in, I am a fan of breaking in a new engine. Unless you have a loose race engine ( larger clearances for the crank bearings). I believe it is a good idea to break in your engine, as well as the brakes, and drive terrain. Let things settle in. No hard stops or starts and its good to get a load on it after a few hundred miles. I am also a fan of oil and fluid changes. I upgraded all my engine oil, both axles and transmission ( manual ) and transfer case on My Jeep Rubicon after 3,000 miles. I put in the Amsoil. I found metal shavings in the magnetic drain plug and the Transmission was low from the factory.

Check your fluid levels during break in. At 62 miles my Tremor was down a quart.

I will chime in, I am a fan of breaking in a new engine. Unless you have a loose race engine ( larger clearances for the crank bearings). I believe it is a good idea to break in your engine, as well as the brakes, and drive terrain. Let things settle in. No hard stops or starts and its good to get a load on it after a few hundred miles. I am also a fan of oil and fluid changes. I upgraded all my engine oil, both axles and transmission ( manual ) and transfer case on My Jeep Rubicon after 3,000 miles. I put in the Amsoil. I found metal shavings in the magnetic drain plug and the Transmission was low from the factory.

Check your fluid levels during break in. At 62 miles my Tremor was down a quart.
I’m with you all the way. I’m 650 miles in and continue to baby her. I’ll change fluids and filters at 1,000 miles. Cheap insurance for an $80k truck. Now after 1,000 miles look out.

Break it in like you drive it and heat cycles/load are what will do it but fluid must be changed. I don't think the service intervals address that. I've setup/built many differentials and engines, the majority of cylinder/ring and ring gear degradation happen within the first few hundred miles depending on operation. With that being said, I'm just a shade tree mechanic.

Break it in like you drive it and heat cycles/load are what will do it but fluid must be changed. I don't think the service intervals address that. I've setup/built many differentials and engines, the majority of cylinder/ring and ring gear degradation happen within the first few hundred miles depending on operation. With that being said, I'm just a shade tree mechanic.
That is another school of thought, I would debate that process and you can argue either way. I have had this conversation with many friends.

I like the take it easy and methodical controlled loads and RPM range for the first 1000 miles. Plus the brakes need to seat on the rotors. My mechanical knowledge is limited, I have built several race cars and engines, marine and cycle engines. I am not a mechanic or engineer, only an enthusiast . just my two cents worth maybe a poll would be fun for this topic.

That is another school of thought, I would debate that process and you can argue either way. I have had this conversation with many friends.

I like the take it easy and methodical controlled loads and RPM range for the first 1000 miles. Plus the brakes need to seat on the rotors. My mechanical knowledge is limited, I have built several race cars and engines, marine and cycle engines. I am not a mechanic or engineer, only an enthusiast . just my two cents worth maybe a poll would be fun for this topic.

I like it! That's what these forums are for!

I like it! That's what these forums are for!
My old boss would break new stuff in like he stole it. Completely redlined and hard shifts from day one. He said his stuff was always faster because of it. I recall his stuff in the shop all the time and many leaking oil and blowing smoke.

My old boss would break new stuff in like he stole it. Completely redlined and hard shifts from day one. He said his stuff was always faster because of it. I recall his stuff in the shop all the time and many leaking oil and blowing smoke.

People that drive their vehicles like that cant expect much anyways. If you drive it like a racecar, you will need to give it maintenance like one and replace parts like one.

Makes it faster? LMAO that’s how I feel after I wash my truck too.

On the other hand, I knew some backwood race fans that would do a knarly burnout right in front of the garage, on their brand new builds.

Their train of thought was, if it's going to scatter, we want it to happen right in front of the garage, not far away from it.
LOL

Faster, maybe. But did it last as long?

Faster, maybe. But did it last as long?
Never it alway broke down and leaked oil.

I do the opposite and break engines and "things" gently over time and allow the engine to cycle thru some warm up cool down cycles not to break it in at one time if possible. Vary the RPM range and not heavy load them early on. Same with new brake rotors ( no sudden stops allow them to cool and reheat them).
The exception is a diesel engine, once it has over 500 miles on it but under 1000 miles I like to run it down the freeway for 30 min or more with a heavy trailer and work it out.

Back