modified

Admin
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Diesel Tremor
Current Ride #2
2021 Bronco
I'm curious to see what engine is going to be more popular in the Tremor, the 6.7L powerstroke diesel or the new 7.3L gas engine. What do you plan on getting?

2020-7.3L-V8-Gas-Engine-Ford-Tremor.jpg

Last edited:
Now that we have a few more members on here, I thought I'd bump this thread. I'm still curious to see what engine will be more popular. I'm really leaning towards the 7.3l.

Will be diesel for me. Would have been no matter which brand I went with. The tremor has me pretty locked into Ford.

I just can’t do 5-7 mpg towing my travel trailer any longer.

-Rok

Last edited:
I ordered mine with the 6.7. No way I could ever go back to a gas engine truck after owning my current power stroke.

Will be diesel for me. Would have been no matter which brand I went with. The tremor has me pretty locked into Ford.

I just can’t do 5-7 mpg towing my travel trailer any longer.

-Rok

Wow, that's pretty bad! I would expect the new 7.3l gas motor to get at least 10 towing?

Wow, that's pretty bad! I would expect the new 7.3l gas motor to get at least 10 towing?

My truck currently is a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with the 5.7 Hemi. 125k miles.

Time to upgrade.

I agree. Hopefully the new 7.3 isn’t that bad...

Last edited:
I would get the diesel if you do a lot of towing. The gas is a $2K add on and the diesel is a $9K addition.
That 1000 LB torque is temping and what’s another $10K ?

Lol! 10k is 10k ..I have a driven diesels along time and currently have one .but they are not all that anymore . not with the low sulphur diesel and premium price .70 /gal ,..in my city..$21 per tank..but hey, I am just a working guy that likes to keep a little bit extra each pay check for some Levi Garrett.

@TexasTremor - not to mention the high maintenance costs.

However, you normally see better discounts and rebates on the diesel trucks vs the gas.

I also wonder if the resell is higher on the diesels, so even though you pay more up front you get that back when you are ready to sell?

Just a couple of things I've been considering.. I'm still undecided ?‍♂️

You definitely get higher resale and longer engine life out of the diesel.

Cost is cost. More maintenance is required.

I “need” (strong word here) a diesel for my weekend warrior towing needs (10k plus and lots of hills in Alaska when hauling my travel trailer). The exhaust brake, improved fuel mileage, and low end torque make this much better than my current rig which I have continued to upgrade (Ride Rite air bags, trailer brake, upgraded Bilstein 5100s all around, oversized ceramic brakes and rotors, Borla exhaust, LED lightbars for winter driving, LED headlights, aftermarket stereo so I could have Bluetooth music, etc.) to still not be enough to do the job. I also intend to keep this between 10-15 years, so I should reap the benefits associated with the increased up front cost of the diesel.

However, I don’t at all need a diesel during the week. I’ve got a 20 mile commute each way, and drive empty with my kids to and from work, the store, and kids activities. I’ll have to make a purposeful trip almost each week long enough to run the regen cycle. Some of those emissions changes make it possible for grocery getters like me to own a diesel without immediately ruining them.

Ideally, I could find a Tremor someone else bought, then changed their mind right away. That would take some bite out of the expected 70k price tag...

-Rok

Last edited:
Clearly boils down to needs, or if well endowed (financially :LOL:) just personal choice.

Towing large mass (>8500lb) the diesel has the advantage with lower RPM high torque numbers as well as the engine brake. This of course comes with a $8000 premium and the hassle of DEF and Regen characteristics. Unless your favorite towing spot is farther than 200 miles one way and you do 25 trips per year the recoup time $$ is very lengthy using milesage variance. I also do not see the $$ savings in the new electronic diesel engines vs the gassers as far as maintenance and repairs. Sure 40 years ago a Toyota diesel Land Cruiser lasted for 300,000 miles but this was a simple, very under stressed, engine design.
Personally I don't care to punch the throttle at the light and go sideways unloaded. My racing background prefers the gasser option and a better punch off the line (read not smoking tires but moving the chassis). I also don't tow greater than 7000 lb, and even then only infrequently (my acreage tractor or some of my motorbikes).
Both are good just in different ways. The 7.3L was my choice.

One caveat I would add. I have in the past purchased new vehicles with a "new design" engine that over the course of a year had three recalls and diminished resale value due to these recurring issues, addressed by the manufacturer two model years in (after a year of denial). Something to keep in mind.............

7.3 for me. Had two F250s with the 6.2 and never had any issues towing below 6k lbs. always ran great unloaded as well!
Wanted to stick with gas and the Tremor had the 7.3 only. So I’m looking forward to the extra HP and strength.

Mine truck currently is a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with the 5.7 Hemi. 125k miles.

Time to upgrade.

I agree. Hopefully the new 7.3 isn’t that bad...
Just saw a TFLTruck video where they took the new Chevy 6.6 gas motor up the Ike Gaunlet......

2.4mpg on the run! ????

Looking forward to seeing the TFL guys put the Tremor, and the 7.3 Godzilla, through the paces.

Quick update
Western Canada ride and drive (this week) on new products saw demos of the new Explorer, Edge, and F350 w/7.3L gas. The F350 was compared to the Ram 6.4L and GM 6.6L that were on hand for comparison. Of note was that the F350 was perkier than the others (subjective opinion I spose) BUT the mileage computer calculations showed the fuel consumption at 14.7 mpg (US gallon). This in a vehicle that was driven hard on a pad and off road course. When questioned the organizers were confident that the 7.3L would definitely be the large gas motor mpg champ for the big trucks. Sorry not sure of the ring and pinion ratios........

Not a Tremor tho that was tested :(

There is no way I would go with a gas after having a diesel to tow with. However, The guys on the Truck Show podcast sounded like the new 7.3 dominated the 6.6 and 6.4. They definitely liked it. They also liked the Duramax with the new 10 speed a lot. Both the little dmax in the half ton and the 6.6 in the HD. They of course didn’t comment much on the 6.7 due to the embargo bs.

7.3 for me.
I simply do not have the faith in any of the modern diesels like I did in my old 7.3L.
Modern FI gassers are the new diesels.....last 300+k with minimal maintenance. Just my opinion.

Also, the truck would really just be a run-a-bout/family hauler/pleasure vehicle for me, towing a bass boat (not enough) times a year.

Environment at work eats metals, considering the cost of new trucks, I'd still utilize a beater econo-box for commuting.

Perfect example of when a 7.3 would be the preferred engine.

I can’t wait to see what the aftermarket does with this new engine. I can easily see 7.3s rolling around with an extra 100 or 150 hp due to a turbo or supercharger.

Went 7.3 With 4:30 Rear. It will out tow my outgoing 6.0 diesel. Love the fact that it’s a simple pushrod v8 made for commercial use. So far love it,

However, I don’t at all need a diesel during the week. I’ve got a 20 mile commute each way, and drive empty with my kids to and from work, the store, and kids activities. I’ll have to make a purposeful trip almost each week long enough to run the regen cycle. Some of those emissions changes make it possible for grocery getters like me to own a diesel without immediately ruining them.

-Rok

At one point, in 2009, diesel prices being what they were then...$4.00+ a gallon, I bought a used Outback for my commute and actually made the payment and fueled it for less $$$ than just my monthly diesel bill. Truck was paid for , but still cost me $500 a month to fuel it.

Might be a tough sell at current fuel prices, but still, buy a high MPG beater for your DD activities. I'm thinking your truck and possibly your wallet will thank you.

In my industrial construction field, a lot of companies are moving back to gassers for their run-a-bout vehicles. The short trips were KILLING these modern diesels. 130k mile diesels had more down time than run time and of course the repair costs were staggering. Watching this play out over the years is why I will not consider a diesel for my personal use, but as I said a few posts above, I'm the poster child for why getting a gasser is the best...FOR MY intended use.

Back